First 234

Thread: Stop Thinking!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I get told quite a lot to stop thinking so much about things. It's gotten to the extent now where one supposed ENFP is in stitches cause every part I buy for my PC gets researched to high heaven. People seem to think that if they request me to not think so deeply it'll help somehow and I'll be more decisive and less confused. Little do they realise it only leads to me being confused faster as I consider the many ways of reducing the amount I think only to realise that I'm now thinking more about how to reduce the amount of thinking I'm doing than I was before I started to try and give up thinking!!!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Socionics
    SLI

I have never had that said to me. Or I have forgotten about it. Regardless, I find that sentiment as saying more about the other person then me, I'd most likely ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    For some reason, people like this (buttinsky types) in my offline life assume that I do not think and that I am "lights on no one home", flatline when I am really thinking, so I never get this version of this.

People usually give me the "snap out of it and wake up!" version.

Ha, funny, it's the opposite for me. Apparently when I'm just "relaxing" like that I appear to be in deep contemplation. Which I find amusing.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I say to myself many times "start thinking". It's because I tend to go with the flow and use mostly my gut feelings when deciding on things. I would need to use more my methodical thinking (if I am even capable of such) but it's so tiresome.

I think it's best when two (or more) people balance eachother by mastering different things (one thinking, other something else) and that's how the best result is reached. Team work! It's also useful to develop one's weak functions (but as I said it's very tiresome and I'm quite lazy).

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I can't tell you how many times I've heard that.

Anyone else find this request/command, similar to "Stop breathing!"?
    I used to get this ALL the time, but not so much any more. Probably has something to do with the fact that these days I spent most of my time around other people who also think a lot, so instead I get things like "That's good, it shows you're always thinking" or "It's good that you think about things properly" or "it's so nice to talk to someone who isn't a robot enslaved to habit and routine".

In fact even my parents, who were sorta my arch enemies in the regard of saying I think too much, are gradually beginning to rely on, rather than criticize, my habit of thinking a lot. It's quite funny actually, I've sorta become the family guru...

Actually, probably because of my position, the average Joes I come into contact with also wouldn't criticize me for it, but would rather be glad of it and rely on it. It's expected.

But yeah, as a child and teenager and in my early 20's I was frequently told "you're overthinking it" or "overanalyzing". Probably because at least half of the time back then, I was. Perhaps what's changed is that I've figured out better now what needs heavy thought and what doesn't, and how to apply my thinking to the most 'profitable' or pertinent topics, rather than randomly and helplessly overanalyzing everything to the point of near-paralysis. I've learned to be able to break myself out of the analysis loop by asking myself "Yeah, but what are you gonna do about it?"

I think people only tend to worry about how much you think if they see that it's all you seem to do. All thought no action can be just as bad as all mouth no action!

I've chilled out a lot
    Ils se dÔŅĹmerdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    istp

my thoughts on how much to think about something is this...

the only way to know how much thought something needs is experience. people often breeze through things that they really know nothing about because they have not had the experiences to suggest that more consideration is needed. also, people may tend to do the same to things they have experienced if there was no consequence great enough as a result to provoke them to do otherwise.

once there is great enough consequence to pique a change in time/attention committed to perceive, a person will do so.

basically, your brain is thinking a lot about something for what it considers to be a good reason, although there is certainly room for error in that regard.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I tell myself to stop thinking all the time, but so far it has been impossible for me. All I do is over think, I can't shut my brain off for bed without the aid of sleeping medication. My mother constantly berates me for over thinking situations, it's this problem that prevents me from getting a job. I'm workin' on it though. :')

MBTI
    INTP

As an INTP I know exactly what you mean. I think about thinking about thinking. Sometimes it makes my head spin. I get mentally fatigued.

Meditation helps if you want to stop thinking. That is in fact the goal of meditation. Close your eyes and focus on your breathing to start with. Or an imaginary third eye. It takes practice, but it helps a lot. There is an increasing amount neuroscience research that confirms the positive effect of meditation. Think of it as kind of defragging your brain. What happens is that our short term memories get overloaded with all the crap of our daily lives. This causes stress because short term memory is not well adapted for this information overload.

MBTI
    INTP

I see now, that not actually what you meant.

MBTI
    INTJ

I hate being told not to feel.
    I've been hearing that all my life, mostly when I'm depressed.
    Some well-wisher will ask me why I'm depressed. I'll start telling them. They interrupt and say, "Don't feel that way."

Well, wouldn't that be peachy. Thanks for the great advice. Wonder why I didn't think of it.

When they say that, it makes me feel even worse, and even more alone.
    If only they could say, That's awful. I've felt that way before. I know how it feels.
    And be quiet and just let me talk until the real problem surfaces, and I can deal with it.