• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Life after "death"

P

Phantonym

So, I was wondering. You know the animation "Futurama" where "significant" people from the past have their heads in jars.

My question is - how would you (including all four dichotomies) like to have your head, or your "essense/soul", preserved after your physical body has worn out? This would mean that you could "live" forever.

Would you say that, for example, people with a certain preference (N, F, T), could somewhat enjoy "living" like this?

Personally, I wouldn't mind it. I wouldn't actually call it living but I could imagine myself enjoying only the mental stimulation and observing the time passing by.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would like for my mind to be put inside a transformer body for all eternity, like Ironhide.

Transformers-Ironhide-302.jpg

And I won't settle for a silly jar.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Did u know, University of Virginia has extensive studies on life after death, reincarnation? Some of the stories/research they found are muy interesting.

If I had to perpetually keep that essence/soul alive, I'd be happy to.. Kid at heart in an adult body man.. Makes life worth livin! :smile:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Did u know, University of Virginia has extensive studies on life after death, reincarnation? Some of the stories/research they found are muy interesting.

If I had to perpetually keep that essence/soul alive, I'd be happy to.. Kid at heart in an adult body man.. Makes life worth livin! :smile:

I guess this is one of the books they wrote on the subject, sounds interesting even though I'm still skeptical.

Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Hmm.. I read an article published from the University's department on a few of the case studies.. perhaps I didn't catch the inconsistencies, since the website is to promote the study under the curriculum..

I tend to think that as humans we have limitations within our own 5 senses.. since there are wavelengths we directly cannot observe, while other animals can. Even if we try to build machines that can help us to directly observe the impossible, we still have limitations from our abilities to calibrate such systems when applied to the human spirit, whether it exists or not, is unfortunately, unquantifiable? In my own way, I lean more towards the fact that anything's possible.

I do in my own life experiences, feel that there is something I can't explain but to know that there is more to life than just living, breathing, eating, dying.. There is more to it, in which I cannot describe, but genuinely feel deep down inside. Maybe I'm at fault for feeling this way, but for some reason, it makes most sense for me. :reading: :)

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm always very curious as to how the Earth will continue and change far into the future along with the human race and if it will come and go, but I imagine the wait would be too long to live through, even for my "essence".

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I guess this is one of the books they wrote on the subject, sounds interesting even though I'm still skeptical.

Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't lie, I love the idea of reincarnation (or whatever the other process or phenomenon that explains these cases is). That particular book by Ian Stevenson is really the only thing that keeps it going for me though, because there's really not many people both willing and qualified to scientifically investigate these cases and seriously find real explanations. Most just pass them off as paranormal hogwash and throw their skeptical blanket on it and ignore it, but it's incredibly fascinating to me.

P

Phantonym

I would like for my mind to be put inside a transformer body for all eternity, like Ironhide.

And I won't settle for a silly jar.

The jar thing isn't that appealing to me either :D I was thinking more like an energy that can't be contained in anything. So you can't be "put" into anything or anyone, you just exist in the form of this energy.
Could people manage to "live" like this for centuries without being able to move? Who would be that strong?
This brings into mind the Spanish film "Mar Adentro" where a quadriplegic man fought for his right for euthanasia and longed to have some dignity in death.

This would be voluntary though. Would people be willing to "live" like this?

I'm always very curious as to how the Earth will continue and change far into the future along with the human race and if it will come and go, but I imagine the wait would be too long to live through, even for my "essence".

It does seem like a confinement into solitude. But what if you could use the time to learn all the things in the world that interest you? Something like in the "Groundhog Day" :D And you could still communicate with others.

blanclait

MBTI Type
ENTP
if i dont have the freedom to move my body, i will go insane.

I dont want immortality, transfering to another fresh body would be nice. love is exciting for me cause i dont know when it will end. or how.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
It does seem like a confinement into solitude. But what if you could use the time to learn all the things in the world that interest you? Something like in the "Groundhog Day" :D And you could still communicate with others.

I like the idea of just seeing what the future would be like, but at the same time I'd have to be some really weird entity that doesn't go mental from living hundreds of years, therefore not quite myself. I dunno what I'm getting at. It's just getting harder and harder to imagine in a sensical way. It's like I just want to experience being myself in every different era, but realistically I wouldn't want to be here forever. It's not meant to be. It would redefine the meaning of life somehow if I literally had all the time in the world. I also wouldn't want to be just an essence or aura... that sounds too ghostly... and too far removed from the realm of human consciousness that I'm comfortable with.