User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Default Self mental manipulation

College has started again, in what looks to be a hard semester, involving a lot iof new ideas and a lot of work, plus looking for some sort of job after the lab thing didn't work out, plus a large amount of other random goals and simple things I feel like doing, and I constantly find myself procrastinating still.

I'm interested in any mental tricks people can use to get themselves to do something, whatever it involves, since the usual tricks I use aren't working, and a few other ones haven't been working either. (Such as listing everything out and putting it in an easy to see place.) I know in general what the goals are and have some idea of how to go about them, but somehow it seems I get taken over a lot by another part of my brain that just wants to surf the internet all day.

(I realize this isn't a serious problem compared to someone's death in a family, say, but it is quite a problematic one for me at the moment that tends to feed itself, and these forums do in general seem to involve people asking for help.)

I have the same issues. Too much stuff I want to do, and not enough focus to do them.

Something has helped a bit though:

Writing down the goal, figuring out what the next physical step is towards that goal, and taking it.

It is slow, but I have gotten myself to do some rather difficult things in the worst of moods using this technique.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    I'm interested in any mental tricks people can use to get themselves to do something, whatever it involves, since the usual tricks I use aren't working, and a few other ones haven't been working either. (Such as listing everything out and putting it in an easy to see place.) I know in general what the goals are and have some idea of how to go about them, but somehow it seems I get taken over a lot by another part of my brain that just wants to surf the internet all day.
    I find if I take one thing and do that, I can get my groove going. When there is a lot to do and I'm suffering from inertia, taking it slow and deciding that I'm going to do Just This right now usually gets me going again. Then it bulds on itself.

A kin to eating an elephant.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INFP

The only sure-fire way I've found of getting a lot done is to have something else more pressing and urgent which I'm avoiding doing. As the pressure to do that thing grows, I become amazingly productive with lesser priorities.

Primary priorities of choice:

1. Taxes. Forget the accountant. Do them yourself. Eventually. Maybe next week. Soon.
    2. Chest pains or other potentially-terminal symptoms. You should really get that checked out.
    3. Drug withdrawal. You may have to take up drugs first, but it's for a worthy cause.
    4. Speeding fines. The possibility of legal action being taken against you should have you anxiously flying through the debris of lesser priorities.
    5. Upcoming rent-inspections. This only works for P hovels.
    6. A structurally-unsound tower of dishes with accompanying irate housemate.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I agree with what everyone has said so far. In addition to these what I like to do is give myself little rewards. Like "When I accomplish task 3 on my list then I can go to the movie I've been wanting to see" or something like that. I find it helps give me extra motivation.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTJ

You just have to fight it out. Get out of your slothful routine. Take a cold shower in the morning if you have to. Do only the minimum work you have to. You will be a happier person if you get the work done than if you procrastinate.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    but somehow it seems I get taken over a lot by another part of my brain that just wants to surf the internet all day.
    Get rid of the computer and see what happens

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I agree with what everyone has said so far. In addition to these what I like to do is give myself little rewards. Like "When I accomplish task 3 on my list then I can go to the movie I've been wanting to see" or something like that. I find it helps give me extra motivation.
    oh god, that made me laugh. that'd never work on me. i'd just go to the movie instead of what i had to do.

the only thing that works on me is telling myself:

this needs to be done

it won't go away by itself

no one else is going to do it

if you "choose" to do it, then it's not a "have" to do it

if you do it, it'll go away. if you don't, it'll stay there.

in that case, i choose to go ahead and get it out of my life

*looks at whatever it is and says...* "come here, you bastard. you are going down!"

*does it*
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

A lot of the stuff suggested is stuff I actually do, mainly this thread was asking for help since those strategies had been failing.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    6. A structurally-unsound tower of dishes with accompanying irate housemate.
    When you want a bowl of cereal and even the Bundt pan and the ice cream scoop are dirty, it is time to do dishes.

MBTI
    WOLF

I'm sure someone will laugh at this, but FlyLady.net: Your personal online coach to help you gain control of your house and home when all else fails I set a timer for 15 minutes and see what I can accomplish in that time. I'm awfully good at getting sidetracked, but for me it's the only way to get through heavy texts, cleaning, laundry etc. "You can do anything for 15 minutes" .

Edited to add: mentally it helps me to have a set time for a task and the knowledge that as soon as the timer goes off won't have to do any more. I get overwhelmed otherwise.