• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Giving up coffee

Mole

Permabanned
I have now gone two weeks without coffee, but I am weakening.

The first week was a bit like giving up smoking - there were overt physical symptoms for about six days.

The second week was more subtle - it was as though I was nervy and I knew a cup of coffee would cure me. Also I found I wanted a coffee after a meal.

But now in my third week it is as though I am tired of fighting caffeine. I am ready to give up and order a flat white.

Yeah, it's like I am becoming depressed without coffee.

When I gave up coffee, caffeine first struck back physically, then at my nervous system, then in my desire. But the latest assault by caffeine is on my emotions.

Caffeine is attacking my very emotional will to fight back.

If only I could take a knife and stab caffeine to death, but the only thing that seems to work is to strangle caffeine very slowly to death. But I feel my fingers slipping off her throat.

Who will save me?

Or will I go down to ignominious defeat?

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
No one will save you.

It's all a matter of will power.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I once gave up coffee because it seemed like a thing to do. I had never noticed the stimulating effects of coffee to any great extent, and I never noticed the lack of them upon giving it up. The only thing I noticed was that I really like coffee and I wasn't drinking coffee anymore. So I went back.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have some decaf when you start jonesing. It's surprising how good it tastes compared to no coffee at all.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

The first week was a bit like giving up smoking - there were overt physical symptoms for about six days.

The second week was more subtle - it was as though I was nervy and I knew a cup of coffee would cure me. Also I found I wanted a coffee after a meal.

But now in my third week it is as though I am tired of fighting caffeine. I am ready to give up and order a flat white.

When I gave up coffee, caffeine first struck back physically, then at my nervous system, then in my desire. But the latest assault by caffeine is on my emotions.

If only I could take a knife and stab caffeine to death, but the only thing that seems to work is to strangle caffeine very slowly to death. But I feel my fingers slipping off her throat.

Who will save me?

Contact Theodor Morell.
The gift of God.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I once gave up coffee because it seemed like a thing to do. I had never noticed the stimulating effects of coffee to any great extent, and I never noticed the lack of them upon giving it up. The only thing I noticed was that I really like coffee and I wasn't drinking coffee anymore. So I went back.

Ditto...I give it up when my acid reflux flares up (among other things I give up), but otherwise I drink it cuz I like it and have no adverse effects either way.

miked277

MBTI Type
INTP
i just started drinking coffee again and i must say... i'm loving it. for the simple reason of not having to deal with mid-day lulls after class tempting me to take a quick nap thus screwing up the rest of my day.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I've never relied on coffee too much but I've given up on it altogether now that I quit smoking. The two were sort of associated in terms of routine.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
A few months ago I cut back on coffee to the point that I only have 1-2 a week because the caffeine was starting to get to me. Inspired by Nightning actually.

I feel better for it (except when I smell freshly ground beans, that hurts me cause they smell so good) plus I really enjoy it when I have one now. Depending on why you quit the answer may be in moderation and control.

G

garbage

My own habits are just inconsistent. I'll go from drinking two cups of coffee a day to none in a heartbeat with no adverse effects, then take it up again months later. I don't actively try to quit and I don't feel a great struggle in starting back up.. I just sort of.. do it.

Same with smokes, only I've never smoked a great amount. At the immediate moment, I only smoke one or two cigarettes a week, strictly on my pool night, although in the past I've smoked perhaps a pack a week or so. When I do it, I don't feel like I'm limiting or depriving myself, nor do I really feel guilty about what I do smoke.

I have no idea whether it's a willpower issue or not. It doesn't feel like addiction so much as it is just a manifestation of the fact that I just sort of like doing it sometimes.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I've been drinking coffee and tea as long as I can remember. I switched to decaf and herbal a couple years ago. I never had much effect from caffeine to begin with and I never sweeten either so I didn't miss miss it when I switched. I drink a cup or two of coffee in the morning and iced tea and water during the day. I figure there are much worse things I could drink.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it would make me depressed too i think. i gave up sugar for awhile and was really not myself at all such a weird thing....i don't think i ever plan on giving up coffee. i just don't see the problem....have some coffee. :)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Have some decaf when you start jonesing. It's surprising how good it tastes compared to no coffee at all.

This is the best advice in thread. You can do it Victor, I have faith in you!

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?

Who will save me?

Why are you quitting caffeine?... Is it for health reasons, or is it just because you're bored?

At least you don't have a Tim Hortons practically right next door taunting you.

Mole

Permabanned
You can do it Victor, I have faith in you!

Yes, every morning I would make my way to the Bakery at Kingston for coffee and the newspaper.

It was wonderful sitting outside at the table reading the newspaper, sipping my coffee and chatting with passers-by.

But I found I was drinking coffee to stave off the effects of coffee withdrawal.

So I was like a mouse on a treadmill - the more coffee I drank , the more I needed. So I decided to step off the wheel.

My body reacted instantly and insisted I get back on the wheel immediately.

And as time has worn on it has become more subtle in its threats and importunes.

But it is predictable - it follows the same path of threats and promises each time. So, like a prisoner, I watch the routine and choose my time to escape.

Interestingly I have chosen to have my breakfast at a different Bakery, indeed a more upmarket Bakery in Manuka.

But it is still clinging to me - it is as though I am mourning the boost it would give me every morning.

I have a sense of loss.

I miss my morning coffee.

It was the one pleasure I could count on every day.

It's a bit like saying goodbye to a girlfriend - you know it's for the best but you can't help missing her.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Please, please, PLEASE don't ever try any harder drugs.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Well, I always drink coffee, but I try to follow some strict boundaries:

- never coffee past 2 PM
- never more than 3 cups of coffee
- the more physical activity I do, and the more I stay outside, the more coffee is allowed (always with a maximum limit of 3); if I stay inside and i'm not physically active, coffee will demonstrate all its adverse effects

uberrogo

MBTI Type
istj

Who will save me?

You are breaking up with your clingy stalker coffee g/f. It wont be easy.

revolve

I drink a lot of coffee & I love it. it's iced grande americanos from starbucks everyday right now. they make me feel great & absolutely have no interest in giving them up. once a week i go 24 hours straight without any coffee / espresso drinks & that's the most restrictive i can be with myself. that day i am completely out-of-it / slow / my eyes are half open the entire day & i am in a cloudy funk. but then that evening i sleep so so so well that it makes it all worth it & then back again the next day to the americanos.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
dont be giving in now...if you do, thats 3 weeks of staving off down the drain

keep on keeping on