User Tag List

123 Last

Default Giving up coffee

I have now gone two weeks without coffee, but I am weakening.

The first week was a bit like giving up smoking - there were overt physical symptoms for about six days.

The second week was more subtle - it was as though I was nervy and I knew a cup of coffee would cure me. Also I found I wanted a coffee after a meal.

But now in my third week it is as though I am tired of fighting caffeine. I am ready to give up and order a flat white.

Yeah, it's like I am becoming depressed without coffee.

When I gave up coffee, caffeine first struck back physically, then at my nervous system, then in my desire. But the latest assault by caffeine is on my emotions.

Caffeine is attacking my very emotional will to fight back.

If only I could take a knife and stab caffeine to death, but the only thing that seems to work is to strangle caffeine very slowly to death. But I feel my fingers slipping off her throat.

Who will save me?

Or will I go down to ignominious defeat?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

No one will save you.

It's all a matter of will power.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

I once gave up coffee because it seemed like a thing to do. I had never noticed the stimulating effects of coffee to any great extent, and I never noticed the lack of them upon giving it up. The only thing I noticed was that I really like coffee and I wasn't drinking coffee anymore. So I went back.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Have some decaf when you start jonesing. It's surprising how good it tastes compared to no coffee at all.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I have now gone two weeks without coffee, but I am weakening.

The first week was a bit like giving up smoking - there were overt physical symptoms for about six days.

The second week was more subtle - it was as though I was nervy and I knew a cup of coffee would cure me. Also I found I wanted a coffee after a meal.

But now in my third week it is as though I am tired of fighting caffeine. I am ready to give up and order a flat white.

Yeah, it's like I am becoming depressed without coffee.

When I gave up coffee, caffeine first struck back physically, then at my nervous system, then in my desire. But the latest assault by caffeine is on my emotions.

Caffeine is attacking my very emotional will to fight back.

If only I could take a knife and stab caffeine to death, but the only thing that seems to work is to strangle caffeine very slowly to death. But I feel my fingers slipping off her throat.

Who will save me?

Or will I go down to ignominious defeat?
    Contact Theodor Morell.
    The gift of God.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I once gave up coffee because it seemed like a thing to do. I had never noticed the stimulating effects of coffee to any great extent, and I never noticed the lack of them upon giving it up. The only thing I noticed was that I really like coffee and I wasn't drinking coffee anymore. So I went back.
    Ditto...I give it up when my acid reflux flares up (among other things I give up), but otherwise I drink it cuz I like it and have no adverse effects either way.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTP

i just started drinking coffee again and i must say... i'm loving it. for the simple reason of not having to deal with mid-day lulls after class tempting me to take a quick nap thus screwing up the rest of my day.
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I've never relied on coffee too much but I've given up on it altogether now that I quit smoking. The two were sort of associated in terms of routine.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

A few months ago I cut back on coffee to the point that I only have 1-2 a week because the caffeine was starting to get to me. Inspired by Nightning actually.

I feel better for it (except when I smell freshly ground beans, that hurts me cause they smell so good) plus I really enjoy it when I have one now. Depending on why you quit the answer may be in moderation and control.

garbage

My own habits are just inconsistent. I'll go from drinking two cups of coffee a day to none in a heartbeat with no adverse effects, then take it up again months later. I don't actively try to quit and I don't feel a great struggle in starting back up.. I just sort of.. do it.

Same with smokes, only I've never smoked a great amount. At the immediate moment, I only smoke one or two cigarettes a week, strictly on my pool night, although in the past I've smoked perhaps a pack a week or so. When I do it, I don't feel like I'm limiting or depriving myself, nor do I really feel guilty about what I do smoke.

I have no idea whether it's a willpower issue or not. It doesn't feel like addiction so much as it is just a manifestation of the fact that I just sort of like doing it sometimes.