User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 79

  1. #41
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    It's just coffee.
    And sometimes a coffee is just a coffee.

  2. #42
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    ...I don't see it's important in my own life to be free of coffee...
    There's freedom from and freedom to.

    And now I am free from coffee, what am I free to do?

    I want to be free to drink freshly blended fruit and vegetable juices.

    So I have bought a Vita-Mix blender to make the juices together with their nutritious pulp.

    But what is standing in my way?

    Well, ever since boarding school, I like to read while I eat.

    But while I am reading I am not mindful of what I am eating - so I eat whatever is to hand.

    So having given up coffee, my next step is to give up reading while I eat.

  3. #43
    Let's make this showy! raz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    LoLz
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    ... mind you I don't see the point in giving it up totally, which is why I didn't. Just switch to half decaff, then after two weeks have decaff most of the day and half decaff first thing in the morning. After that you'll find your dependency has disappeared and you can enjoy a cup now and again without longterm dependency. Also if you say you're quitting altogether, you make a rod for your back cos there will be times when you just fancy a single cup, and you know you won't get addicted again, but if you have one you'll feel like you've failed and disappointed yourself, you'll feel guilty, which is absurd. It's just coffee.
    See, my thing with it is I normally went to Starbucks and got 4 espresso shot caramel macchiatos or caffe mochas, 5-6 times a week. 4 shots of espresso + all that sugar was quite a zing for the day. When I went into work with that in me, I'd be all over the place, chatting up everyone, making all sorts of jokes, running around like crazy. People got used to that, and when they saw the introvert come out, they were like, "What's wrong that you're so quiet?"

    The downside to it, though, I think is being an introvert and having that kind of effect on your system that often. It makes you constantly crave interaction with the external world. I think I'm just very sensitive to it. The part of it that I approved of was the fact that the "zing" minimized my analysis of everything. It made me susceptible to impulses. That's all fun and stuff, but there's the "downer" that you experience after about 7-8 hours, resulting in heavy anxiety and depression for a few hours.

    I started noticing a lack of real introversion time because of the energy boost it gave me. I initiated things that I regretted later on because it just wasn't "me." I've since switched to making my own coffee in the mornings. I'm enjoying the decreased focus on the external world and being able to get back into my head. That kind of effect is just addictive, but it can have negative psychological effects.


  4. #44
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    See, my thing with it is I normally went to Starbucks and got 4 espresso shot caramel macchiatos or caffe mochas, 5-6 times a week. 4 shots of espresso + all that sugar was quite a zing for the day. When I went into work with that in me, I'd be all over the place, chatting up everyone, making all sorts of jokes, running around like crazy. People got used to that, and when they saw the introvert come out, they were like, "What's wrong that you're so quiet?"

    The downside to it, though, I think is being an introvert and having that kind of effect on your system that often. It makes you constantly crave interaction with the external world. I think I'm just very sensitive to it. The part of it that I approved of was the fact that the "zing" minimized my analysis of everything. It made me susceptible to impulses. That's all fun and stuff, but there's the "downer" that you experience after about 7-8 hours, resulting in heavy anxiety and depression for a few hours.

    I started noticing a lack of real introversion time because of the energy boost it gave me. I initiated things that I regretted later on because it just wasn't "me." I've since switched to making my own coffee in the mornings. I'm enjoying the decreased focus on the external world and being able to get back into my head. That kind of effect is just addictive, but it can have negative psychological effects.
    Yes, the big temptation for an introvert is to ape extroversion.

    And it is a big temptation because extroverts seem to be so successful and socially acceptable.

    While introverts have unique gifts to offer.

    So the most important thing for an introvert to do is not to ape extroversion but to learn to relax into our introversion.

    And then the next step is to learn how to relax in uncomfortable situations.

    So it is relaxation that is the key to an introverts success and to our social acceptance.

  5. #45
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And sometimes a coffee is just a coffee.
    The very idea!

    Here in the UK we only drink tea, as coffee resembles the after effects of dysentery.

    We even have a Tea Council to ensure our 3rd-rate floor scrapings are consistantly 3rd-rate: UK Tea Council : Home : The Home of Tea

    I can recommend green tea with a few mint leaves thrown in - mochito style! No ice, though. That would be stupid, but a tot of Captain Morgans might just work.

  6. #46
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    The very idea!

    Here in the UK we only drink tea, as coffee resembles the after effects of dysentery.

    We even have a Tea Council to ensure our 3rd-rate floor scrapings are consistantly 3rd-rate: UK Tea Council : Home : The Home of Tea

    I can recommend green tea with a few mint leaves thrown in - mochito style! No ice, though. That would be stupid, but a tot of Captain Morgans might just work.
    Yeah right. And we don't have a Starbucks on every corner either.

    Coffee is good for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  7. #47

  8. #48

  9. #49
    Let's make this showy! raz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    LoLz
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    there is always chocolate. (Theobromin, Phenylethylamin, Anandamid)
    Caffeine doesn't entail as many calories.


  10. #50
    a scream in a vortex nanook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,361

    Default

    But chocolate makes the voices go away.


    ... wait, .... who said that???

Similar Threads

  1. contentment = giving up
    By miss fortune in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 04:22 PM
  2. I Give Up
    By Glycerine in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 01:27 PM
  3. This year for Lent, I am giving up...
    By Halla74 in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 02:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO