User Tag List

123 Last

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default Socially Palatable

I think I've made this thread before but I can't be bothered to look it up and I don't remember anything I might use for a keyword. Anyway, I've given it some more thought so it's time to reopen the subject.

I've noticed a few things which were, in the original sense to which I was accustomed, inherently negative traits but these are things which are, apparently, socially palatable.

Probably the most common example is "ADD."
    I won't get into what a joke ADHD is right now -- that's not the focus here.

I'm just wondering why so many people say about themselves that they're afflicted by ADHD, in such a bragging tone.
    I know the superficial reason -- it's "cool" to have ADD.
    It is. I told people I had ADD, and all of a sudden I had people around me talking about ADD and telling stories 'proving' their ADHDdom as though it were some kind of an achievement. I compare this actually to nationalism -- being proud of something that you are and can't change, rather than something you've achieved.

I, though, had the ultimate trophy -- a legitimate doctor's note indicating that I was officially diseased and disorderly.
    I was the cool shit in high school as long as anyone was talking or thinking about ADHD.

I couldn't understand it.

What is so cool about having a problem?

At first I wondered whether it was just something to blame for failure. That's what I thought back then. I figured that it wasn't that they thought I was cool, only that they envied me: That they were jealous and hoped it was contagious.

But there was a whole other clique of students who were (as it seemed) deliberate failures. In actuality, they just didn't care much about school, as long as they could get their rocks off or get it on the rocks. And they could. These were kids who didn't see their academic shortcomings as problems, and therefore had no problems to blame ADHD on.

But yet, they still claimed to have it.

So then, from there I figured that it was indeed a Socially Palatable aspect of personality.

Without diverting your attention too far, does it not seem as though this culture is fucked? That is, as soon as these eighth grade alcoholics and tenth grade adderall burnouts become magistrates and engineers, the sky will turn brown like the shit going into and coming out of the American public schools.

Anyway, I'll move on to another example.

Actually, I won't. I'd say the principle is pretty well lain out, so I'll move right into my questions:

How did this happen?
    When did it happen? Were generations prior to this one in this habit?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Kids have always been fuckups. It has always been cool to be against the grain or "bad" in some not-that-bad way. They grow out of it for the most part. I don't think our culture is fucked.

Incidentally, I've got ADD (inattentive type, no H) myself. I wouldn't say I'm exactly proud of it, but I don't consider it altogether a "problem." Only insofar as the traits that are described by an ADD diagnosis do not mesh with many traits that are culturally rewarded. Other traits that seem to go hand in hand with ADD are traits I highly value in myself. (I guess that is a kind of pride.) It has caused some problems for me since people tend to expect organization/timeliness/other stuff I am bad at, but it's not that hard to build safety nets so I can function.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENTP

I meant to mention that it didn't end after I left high school.
    "Healthy," "mature" adults do this.

I'll grant it's not quite as frequent, but that's probably just because it's just not as prevalent a concept.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The human brain doesn't finish growing until the mid twenties.

MBTI
    ENTP

Many people also have lint in their pockets.

Have you got a point?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yes. That since you left high school you are still basically interacting with kids. Most of them will grow out of this.

MBTI
    ENTP

That almost sounds like you're trying to console me.
    Does this thread sound belligerent? Or like I'm complaining?

Maybe it's just environmental, but I've seen it in people older than 25.
    Not that I think the cutoff would be mid twenties anyway.

To my knowledge, values and physical development rarely have direct correlation.
    (not to be pedantic -- i still get it)
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't know where you got the idea I was trying to console you, except that people always think Fs are trying to console. I simply don't see it as the problem you seem to. I also don't really see it as a values issue. In youngsters (and selected oldsters, most of whom are clinging to youth) it's practically instinctive to take whatever the mainstream adult culture has identified as undesirable and identify with it, or disidentify with that which mainstream adult culture has identified as desirable.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm trying to remember the time when I was diagnosed with ADD. I seem to remember feeling like it was a relief. Not because I thought it was cool to have a problem (and, as I said before, I've come to think of it as less of a problem and more of an unfortunate incongruence between my strengths and the most culturally valued strengths). More that I was glad to have an explanation of why certain things had always been so difficult for me. I wonder if the people who seemed envious of your diagnosis simply wished for a piece of paper explaining themselves like you supposedly had.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I don't know where you got the idea I was trying to console you, except that people always think Fs are trying to console.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Most of them will grow out of this.
    I said almost.

I simply don't see it as the problem you seem to.
    When did I say that it was a problem? I've only so far asked questions/challenged theories.
    I also don't really see it as a values issue. In youngsters (and selected oldsters, most of whom are clinging to youth) it's practically instinctive to take whatever the mainstream adult culture has identified as undesirable and identify with it
    Well I admit I have done very little research on the topic, but as far as I know, "bein' a rebel" wasn't cool to the kids 'til like the 60s or... I dunno what time period, but pretty recently. That is to say, I think it's cultural.
    If you take a different culture for instance, like the Amish, you notice that they don't really experience much of this.

or disidentify with that which mainstream adult culture has identified as desirable.
    Honestly, I've never seen this. Not as an age-wide thing. For the most part I've seen the opposite.
    Maybe that was just your clique's schtick?

Oh well. No coincidences in our data sets.
    we fukin won boys