• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"How does that make you feel?" I don't know!

L

Lasting_Pain

What does that mean? That you don't know how to answer a few simple questions?

That was funny.

But what I meant was, I do not have time to identify with my feelings because they are irrelevant. Besides it is the doctor's job to tell you how you feel.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
That was funny.

But what I meant was, I do not have time to identify with my feelings because they are irrelevant. Besides it is the doctor's job to tell you how you feel.

If a person was ran over by a tractor? Doctors interpret the wound. And the better they can diagnose the injury the better the injury can be healed. Got any injuries?

L

Lasting_Pain

If a person was ran over by a tractor? Doctors interpret the wound. And the better they can diagnose the injury the better the injury can be healed. Got any injuries?

Not that I am aware of, but I will see the doctor just in case he sees something that I don't.

L

Lasting_Pain

Yeah I understand that, but when people ask me how I feel I sort of give that same expression. If I am not sick then I am fine. If fine is a feeling then I am fine. I will be fine today, fine tommorow, and fine next year.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
That was funny.

Well, relevance depends on the task you're trying to accomplish.

I think most if not all of the INTPs are introspective and seek to understand themselves and uncomplicate their lives. To that extent, identifying your feelings are very relevant. It also comes in handy when communicating or making decisions that require you to tap into what you're feeling, like evaluating relationships.

I think the stereotype that INTPs disregard feelings is more appropriate for INTJs, but even then, I don't think it's so much of a disregarding, but knowing when to use them and when not to. This would be a "to use them" time.

L

Lasting_Pain

Well, relevance depends on the task you're trying to accomplish.

I think most if not all of the INTPs are introspective and seek to understand themselves and uncomplicate their lives. To that extent, identifying your feelings are very relevant. It also comes in handy when communicating or making decisions that require you to tap into what you're feeling, like evaluating relationships.

I think the stereotype that INTPs disregard feelings is more appropriate for INTJs, but even then, I don't think it's so much of a disregarding, but knowing when to use them and when not to. This would be a "to use them" time.

If I talk about my feelings or try to explain them, I experience the phenomena commonly known as "word salad."

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This isn't really a rant, but a question for people.

I have incredible, incredible difficulty labeling my feelings and experience, which is somewhat strange because I'm very good at labeling other things (usually abstract) and take joy in it, too. I was seeing a therapist a while back who would occasionally ask me "how do you feel right now?" I had absolutely no idea. The only feelings I can clearly identify are sadness and infatuation which have very distinct psychological and physiological features. The rest I'm terrible at.

I'm curious about a few things.

1. Are you naturallly aware of how you are feeling throughout the day, or only when you call attention to it?
2. When you do call attention to it, can you identify what your feeling? How good are you discriminating between different feelings? How many different feelings (or shades of feelings) can you identify?
3. How would you go about improving your ability to identify your feelings?

i don't always know how i feel but if something is bothering me i'll figure it out and work through it but i'm not constantly aware of and labeling them otherwise.

i could though i believe if someone asked.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If I talk about my feelings or try to explain them, I experience the phenomena commonly known as "word salad."

Honestly? Real schizophasia sounds like this:

"Tissues without a triangular head lice be it with controller is the noodle man of ice pops and radio yes thanks."
"So even with I but he river flow amber rod with it."
"You know bear mama said just keep boxing bitches."
"Where is narwhal pretty rhombus with monocle kitty."

wolfy

awsm
I'm curious about a few things.

1. Are you naturallly aware of how you are feeling throughout the day, or only when you call attention to it?
2. When you do call attention to it, can you identify what your feeling? How good are you discriminating between different feelings? How many different feelings (or shades of feelings) can you identify?
3. How would you go about improving your ability to identify your feelings?

I'm usually aware how I am feeling and why. I can discriminate between different feelings pretty well.
I noticed that after I learnt Japanese my understanding and ability to describe how I was feeling to myself and others improved heaps.
So maybe it has something to do with the amount feeling words you commonly use and are aware of.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm usually aware how I am feeling and why. I can discriminate between different feelings pretty well.
I noticed that after I learnt Japanese my understanding and ability to describe how I was feeling to myself and others improved heaps.
So maybe it has something to do with the amount feeling words you commonly use and are aware of.

Yes, it's all about the vocabulary.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

"Tissues without a triangular head lice be it with controller is the noodle man of ice pops and radio yes thanks."

omg what is this nonsense?? i love it...could you randomly send me msgs like that? i'd love it so.

L

Lasting_Pain

Yep, it is also a symptom of disorganized schizophrenia, but if I was to video tape myself explaining my emotions, you would receive something that is very close to what you have presented above.

Mole

Permabanned

I know how you feel. Sometimes I think that if I express my emotions it will all come out higgledee-pigledee.

And at first it does. But if someone is listening them, my feelings feel heard and settle down and take up their own shape.

And I think this is the magical thing - feelings do have their own shape.

The problem for me is that I try to shape my feelings to those around me - but this only succeeds in stifling myself.

The other complication is that many want me to shape my feelings around them.

This is what happens to small children.

If their parents are unable or unwilling to listen to their feelings, the child will shape their feelings around the feelings of their parent.

And so the child will lose touch with their own feelings.

I think this is very common and in future we will regard it as child abuse.

But this site is a good place to start expressing your own feelings - not because the members are good active listeners - but because the very act of writing your feelings down and reading them back is a way to listen to yourself.

L

Lasting_Pain

I know how you feel. Sometimes I think that if I express my emotions it will all come out higgledee-pigledee.

And at first it does. But if someone is listening them, my feelings feel heard and settle down and take up their own shape.

And I think this is the magical thing - feelings do have their own shape.

The problem for me is that I try to shape my feelings to those around me - but this only succeeds in stifling myself.

The other complication is that many want me to shape my feelings around them.

This is what happens to small children.

If their parents are unable or unwilling to listen to their feelings, the child will shape their feelings around the feelings of their parent.

And so the child will lose touch with their own feelings.

I think this is very common and in future we will regard it as child abuse.

But this site is a good place to start expressing your own feelings - not because the members are good active listeners - but because the very act of writing your feeling down and reading them back is a way to listen to yourself.

I am learning how to identify my feelings, but I feel it is a age thing. As I get older I obtain more responsibilities, which I think will require me to become more in touch with my emotional side no matter how small it is.

lexiphanic

MBTI Type
intp
Something to try doing:

When you are feeling a strong emotion, simply sit back and let it process.

Feel where it is in your body, if it has color, if there is pressure, etc. Let it change, and monitor it to see what it is doing.

This is often really powerful with uncomfortable emotions. (shame, embarrassment, etc.)

L

Lasting_Pain

Something to try doing:

When you are feeling a strong emotion, simply sit back and let it process.

Feel where it is in your body, if it has color, if there is pressure, etc. Let it change, and monitor it to see what it is doing.

Sounds like constipation to me.

lexiphanic

MBTI Type
intp
Sounds like constipation to me.

No.

Kind of the difference between the eastern way of looking at life vs. the western.

Western civilization usually identifies life by set achievements and goals. Once we do this, I'll feel good about myself. Once I get to this place, then I can relax... etc. We do the same thing with our emotional state fairly frequently. We lock our emotions in place, clench our jaw, and live with them until it is just an added stress on our lives.

Eastern civilization is more about the process, the journey. It isn't the end result that matters, but how you got there. Likewise, emotions aren't static things, given the opportunity, they can flow a goodly bit given the chance.

And I believe that this is one of those things where the more you do it, the better your mind gets at doing it subconsciously.

juggernaut

Permabanned
The question "How does that make you feel?" generally makes me feel like screaming, beyond that I don't know.