User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    If I asked you to tell me right now how you are feeling, what would you say?
    A little sad, a little uplifted, and stretched thin. Lonely, perhaps?

Very interesting. How many different shades of anger or anxiety or sadness or happiness can you identify? Can you describe some of the distinguishing features of each shade?
    I don't count them. But I could go into happiness and a few shades of it.

Different kinds of happiness cause different effects and penetrate at different levels. They mingle with other emotions, too, as I'm sure you might have noticed, which makes it hard to distinguish between say: bittersweet and melancholy.

Bittersweet is just as it sounds. It's appreciation for something, tinged with regret. Or gratitude mixed with disappointment. Joy with loneliness. It's saying goodbye to something that you're not sure you want to see go. Like watching your childhood and realising that that part is over or was never there to begin with.

Melancholy is slightly different. It encorporates the same mixture of "happy" and "sad", but it's more like a sadness that feels good. Like a mixture of pain and pleasure...which it is, in a way. Sometimes it feels like the cold pain-pleasure you get if you orgasm too many times in a short time period, or press on a nerve too hard and it starts to tingle. It's rainy days. It's the odd cool stillness where there's a quiet "drip, drip, drip" of an imaginary faucet inside your head. Sometimes you want it to go away so you can stop feeling so heavy inside, but there's something about the sheer depth of this feeling that makes you want it to stay a while...it's not often a feeling penetrates right down to your core. (Can you tell I have a little more experience with melancholy than bittersweetness?)

On the other end of spectrum, there's overwhelming joy and revelation.

Both are heady emotions, and quite similar.

Overwhelming joy is happiness to the point of tears. It's relief. Sometimes it's living vicariously through someone else. It feels like a carbonated drink that's been shaken up. It bubbles and froths and spills over onto other people. It's disbelief mixed with exictement. It's the moment where the world ceases to be real and becomes precisely what you hoped it would be, at least for a moment.

Revelation draws on the same uplifting qualities of joy, but instead of bubbling and frothing, it swells like a wave and crashes inside of you instead of spilling over. The world becomes sharper, clearer, more real as opposed to less real. There's the distinct impression of walking through and around reality as if you are inside and outside of it at the same time. Like Neo when he realised he was both inside and outside of the Matrix. It is relief also, as a problem has suddenly been "completely" solved.

Very very cool. I did something like this a while ago but not for every feeling, just anxiety. I did notice a few different prominent thought patterns -- self-critical, deprecating, dissipating -- but the feeling was generally the same, some feeling of generalized dread.
    There are a lot of patterns you start to see, especially if you do automatic writing. It's almost disturbing to see what's really troubling you when you're not looking.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

If I asked you to tell me right now how you are feeling, what would you say?
    Um.... neutral? Content I suppose. But not really sure.

And now after a few minutes of thinking:
    I don't really have much of a mood currently. I am feeling vaguely content, slightly bored, and slightly impatient.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

Lasting_Pain

1. Are you naturallly aware of how you are feeling throughout the day, or only when you call attention to it?
    2. When you do call attention to it, can you identify what your feeling? How good are you discriminating between different feelings? How many different feelings (or shades of feelings) can you identify?
    3. How would you go about improving your ability to identify your feelings?

The answer to all those question is................................. Dude, I am an INTP.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yeah, this is exactly what ends up happening. But I really don't know of any other way to be consciously aware of feelings...how does one "realize" what one is feeling but still feel it at the same time? It seems like once the light bulb goes on, the feeling goes away.
    I don't know, maybe when we first notice a feeling, we're suppose to ride it out and indulge in that mindframe, instead of taking a step back to understand it. And then if the feeling can snowball enough, it would be pronounced enough to better understand.

But I'm not sure if that would work, and maybe it would intrude on self-control.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Another observation:
    When trying to identify how I feel, what I'm doing is essentially drawing out my emotions, rather than identifying them. In my normal mode, they are buried and don't register consciously at all. So I unearth them.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

1. Are you naturally aware of how you are feeling throughout the day, or only when you call attention to it?

I feel aware of my emotions all the time, but that does not mean I always pay attention to them, or give them their space. If you were to ask me how I felt at any given moment, I suppose I would almost always have an answer for you.

My feelings are like water beneath a canoe - sometimes the waters are calm, soothing, content; sometimes turbulent, exciting, challenging. Occasionally they seem almost overwhelming; other times I ride them with exhilaration.

2. When you do call attention to it, can you identify what you're feeling? How good are you discriminating between different feelings? How many different feelings (or shades of feelings) can you identify?

Yes; I guess if I were to quantify emotional shades, I would say there are hundreds that I might distinctively label or recognize, and there are even new ones I've never "seen" (felt) before the older I get. There are many nuances, but common themes.

I write. I meditate. I sit with them and try not to push them away (but I must admit, I push them away too often when not convenient and you generally have to pay for that later.)

I think it's important to realize that you can't make yourself feel something. I want to feel happy instead of sad sometimes, and I can make a conscious choice to elevate my spirits, but there is no magic wand that will create a fabulous moment. You must just let that happen and be open when those great moments arise. They are almost spiritual.

4. What am I feeling right now?

I feel perked up and interested to post in this thread; a little anxious about an upcoming funeral; annoyed that my neck hurts from sitting at the comp all day, and also vaguely dissatisfied wasting my time posting instead of doing something more productive, like work on my business goals.

MBTI
    INTJ

Edahn, they made this for kids like us...

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

1. Are you naturally aware of how you are feeling throughout the day, or only when you call attention to it?
    Naturally? I dunno. Iíve made a point of being able to recognise and label my emotions at any given time so I can change them if they are negative/harmful/non productive, I donít think itís natural though. Most of the time Iím in a neutral to positive state so donít bother, itís when I feel frustration, anger, boredom etc that I notice and label somewhat instantly.

2. When you do call attention to it, can you identify what your feeling? How good are you discriminating between different feelings? How many different feelings (or shades of feelings) can you identify?
    I donít tend to concentrate too much on the feeling more the cause, Iím a lot more interested in prolonging good feelings and stopping bad ones then understanding precisely what Iím feeling, if I know the cause then I can do that easily.

Noticing your reactions, catching yourself when you act out of emotion and questioning why. Spend time writing down whatís going on to better understand the deeper causes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lasting_Pain View Post
    1. Are you naturallly aware of how you are feeling throughout the day, or only when you call attention to it?

The answer to all those question is................................. Dude, I am an INTP.
    What does that mean? That you don't know how to answer a few simple questions?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Edahn, they made this for kids like us...

This is cool.

I can't help but want to sort this into some kind of grid. I tried, and was thinking I can do it with 2 axes: one for anxiety/surrender, and the other for sadness/happiness. Some of them (hungover) have physical components that I would leave out. HMMM.

Anyone else want to try and sort these?

*gets to work*

Edit: on second thought, I don't know if 2 axes are enough. A lot of these feelings are also not emotions at all (cold).