User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    infj

Default MB & Personality disorders(& near disorders)

I've been wondering what relationships there are, if any, between MB personality types and personality disorders such as narcissistic, paranoid, anti-social or obsessive compulsive disorder.

(I've been wondering since reading a facinating book called "Emotional Vampires" by DR Al Bernstein which allows you to classify people along the lines of either having a full blown disorder or disorders (fairly rare) or having aspects of one or more (universal). (For some reason he only covers 6 of the 12 recognised disorders)).

I thought it was interesting I came out as above average in Paranoia (and nothing else) in Bersteins test and am INFJ "the conspiracy theorist" with Myers Briggs. Pretty much the same.

Could it be some types are more likely to suffer from narcissism, anti-social (psychopathy) etc. (I won't speculate on other types, in deferrence to political correctness I'll only talk about my own type, maybe let others talk about themselves).

There are 12 personality disorders and 16 MB types so I guess there can't be one for each.

One important difference between Berstein and what little Myers-Briggs I have encountered so far is he is very positive about the possiblity of changing your vices (over years with effort) while I get the feeling with MB people are stuck with their possibly sick personalities, which may well be more true but is also more depressing.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by artie View Post
    I've been wondering what relationships there are, if any, between MB personality types and personality disorders such as narcissistic, paranoid, anti-social or obsessive compulsive disorder.

(I've been wondering since reading a facinating book called "Emotional Vampires" by DR Al Bernstein which allows you to classify people along the lines of either having a full blown disorder or disorders (fairly rare) or having aspects of one or more (universal). (For some reason he only covers 6 of the 12 recognised disorders)).

I thought it was interesting I came out as above average in Paranoia (and nothing else) in Bersteins test and am INFJ "the conspiracy theorist" with Myers Briggs. Pretty much the same.

Could it be some types are more likely to suffer from narcissism, anti-social (psychopathy) etc. (I won't speculate on other types, in deferrence to political correctness I'll only talk about my own type, maybe let others talk about themselves).

There are 12 personality disorders and 16 MB types so I guess there can't be one for each.

One important difference between Berstein and what little Myers-Briggs I have encountered so far is he is very positive about the possiblity of changing your vices (over years with effort) while I get the feeling with MB people are stuck with their possibly sick personalities, which may well be more true but is also more depressing.
    PTypes - Correspondence of PTypes, Keirsey, Enneagram, Psychiatric, and Astrological Types

The vice is the potential virtue; the virtue is the potential vice.
    They are not different things.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'll go with Narcissistic PD for INTJ:

1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance
    2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
    3. believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by other special people
    4. requires excessive admiration
    5. strong sense of entitlement
    6. takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
    7. lacks empathy
    8. is often envious or believes others are envious of him or her
    9. arrogant affect.
    Since we don't have any ESFPs here to point the finger at themselves I nominate them for Histrionic PD:

1. is uncomfortable in situations in which he or she is not the center of attention
    2. interaction with others is often characterized by inappropriate sexually seductive or provocative behavior
    3. displays rapidly shifting and shallow expression of emotions
    4. consistently uses physical appearance to draw attention to self
    5. has a style of speech that is excessively impressionistic and lacking in detail
    6. shows self-dramatization, theatricality, and exaggerated expression of emotion
    7. is suggestible, i.e., easily influenced by others or circumstances
    8. considers relationships to be more intimate than they actually are.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Avoidant = INFx
    1. Avoids occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact, because of fears of criticism, disapproval, or rejection
    2. Is unwilling to get involved with people unless certain of being liked
    3. Shows restraint within intimate relationships because of the fear of being shamed or ridiculed
    4. Is preoccupied with being criticized or rejected in social situations
    5. Is inhibited in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy
    6. Views self as socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others
    7. Is unusually reluctant to take personal risks or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing
    INFJ is probably more likely, since they have more expectations on how things SHOULD be playing out.

Schizoid = INTP
    * Emotional coldness, detachment or reduced affection.
    * Limited capacity to express either positive or negative emotions towards others.
    * Consistent preference for solitary activities.
    * Very few (if any) close friends or relationships, and a lack of desire for such.
    * Indifference to either praise or criticism.
    * Taking pleasure in few, if any, activities.
    * Indifference to social norms and conventions.
    * Preoccupation with fantasy and introspection.
    * Lack of desire for sexual experiences with another person.

Dependent = ISFx

* D – Difficulty making everyday decisions
    * E – Excessive lengths to obtain nurturance and support from others
    * P – Preoccupied with fears of being left to take care of self
    * E – Exaggerated fears of being unable to care for himself or herself
    * N – Needs others to assume responsibility for his or her life
    * D – Difficulty expressing disagreement with others
    * E – End of a close relationship is the beginning of another relationship
    * N – Noticeable difficulties in initiating projects or doing things on his or her own
    * T – “Take care of me” is his or her motto
    ISFJs tend to have their "closure orientation" helping them, but if they have been undermined in developing that skill as a child, they easily can end up dependent.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

Is their a personality order that goes "If I read any other personality disorder, I'm convinced I have that disorder?" I think I have that. What type would that apply to?

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

^^^^^
    I keep reading them and I think I have about 4 of them now.
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Is their a personality order that goes "If I read any other personality disorder, I'm convinced I have that disorder?" I think I have that. What type would that apply to?
    It depends on what degree of hypochondria you have (ie: are you afraid of death? Past medical issues? ). In any case, it shouldn't really correlate strongly to any MBTI type in particular, far as I know. It should only really relate to emotional stability/neuroticism.

It is generally considered based in environment more than personality (from the little I have read about it).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    ^^^^^
    I keep reading them and I think I have about 4 of them now.
    lol... yes, that happens quite a bit.

(Especially with Narcissists: "You, you, you -- it's always about YOU, isn't it?!")

How I look at it is that everyone can have these sorts of feelings included under a particular disorder, at some time or another; but those with an actual disorder are consistently stuck in that pattern of behavior and are to the point where their lives are literally falling apart (i.e., they cannot cope at all) or are on the verge of it consistently.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Haha yes, my psychology II teacher in highschool warned us about that. Don't apply the disorders to yourself necessarily as most people will find one or more disorders describe them.

The way I see it--if a disorder's symptoms apply to you in a way that is negative and detrimental to your life somehow, then it is a problem and needs to be resolved. Otherwise, why bother?

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    Haha yes, my psychology II teacher in highschool warned us about that. Don't apply the disorders to yourself necessarily as most people will find one or more disorders describe them.

The way I see it--if a disorder's symptoms apply to you in a way that is negative and detrimental to your life somehow, then it is a problem and needs to be resolved. Otherwise, why bother?
    Whew that's a relief. That list of bad traits under the "ENTP disorder" is a lot longer than the lists under the other disorders.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com