• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

In a funk......? :-/

cheerchick23

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ne
do you ever have days when things just feel... off?

you smile and joke and laugh with your friends on the outside... but inside you feel... (pick one. or a few.)

-insecure
-lonely
-awkward
-shy
-unintelligent
-frazzled
-lost
-manipulated/deceived
-confused
-inferior

can any of you relate?

what brings you out of this weird funk?

:(:confused:

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ha, usually when I'm in a "funk", I feel all of those things at the same time. These moods seem to come and go as they please. I just have to wait for them to go away. Although, getting more sleep seems to speed up the process.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5

you smile and joke and laugh with your friends on the outside... but inside you feel... (pick one. or a few.)

-insecure
-lonely
-awkward
-shy
-unintelligent
-frazzled
-lost
-manipulated/deceived
-confused
-inferior

can any of you relate?

I have this almost constantly, but I think it's the result of a bad grad school environment (or grad school generally). When I get out of that "world" and return to real life (i.e., I take a walk, or go for a drive, or contemplate something bigger than myself and my "career"), I almost immediately feel better.

But in the general case, I'd say that the best way to get out of that kind of "funk" is to do something that takes your mind off of yourself. Do something that totally absorbs you in the object/activity...that way, you don't lapse into whatever self-absorbed mindset it is that breeds those kind of bad feelings. Unfortunately for me, academia is all about self-absorption, so it's inescapable. OTOH, at least I know what the cause of my problem is so that I can remedy or deal with it appropriately.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I have this almost constantly, but I think it's the result of a bad grad school environment (or grad school generally). When I get out of that "world" and return to real life (i.e., I take a walk, or go for a drive, or contemplate something bigger than myself and my "career"), I almost immediately feel better.

But in the general case, I'd say that the best way to get out of that kind of "funk" is to do something that takes your mind off of yourself. Do something that totally absorbs you in the object/activity...that way, you don't lapse into whatever self-absorbed mindset it is that breeds those kind of bad feelings. Unfortunately for me, academia is all about self-absorption, so it's inescapable. OTOH, at least I know what the cause of my problem is so that I can remedy or deal with it appropriately.

Is it worth it? More and more I feel like I don't want to do that to myself, because when I'm in, I'm wholly in, which makes for this sort of profoundly upsetting trouble: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/604559-post43.html . Add competition etc. to that...

Doing something, going out...makes me happy. I long for "the superficial" so much these days...I know there's a gaping abyss beneath at all times anyway...I can never be fully satisfied by the superficial.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm in a Funk when I'm at work, knowing exactly what needs to be done. But really not looking forward to it. Happens a lot. What brings me out of it? Get things done in least amount of time needed and move on. :p

Apart from that I haven't had much funks. Lately. Had tons as a teenager though.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp

-insecure
-lonely
-awkward
-shy
-unintelligent
-frazzled
-lost
-manipulated/deceived
-confused
-inferior

can any of you relate?

I know what you mean, and oddly this answer is what it all boils down to:

When I get out of PMS.

I get erratic PMS, sometimes it triggers 2 weeks before I am due, which then involves 2 weeks of feeling the way you have described.

Often I totally forget the reason, and spend time wondering (like you) why I feel this way. Then the painters arrive and I remember "oh yeah, that's why I was feeling so moody lol" and it's all over til the next time.

Then again it could be mild depression or just a simple need to introduce something new into your usual habits/hobbies.

I took up piano lesson during my last bout of "woe is me" feelings and it really helped.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP

-insecure
-lonely

-awkward
-shy
-unintelligent
-frazzled
-lost
-manipulated/deceived
-confused
-inferior

can any of you relate?

Oh yes my friend it's very funky at the moment. Actually I'd like a way out of that too because it won't go away...:cry:!
People ask me the most basic questions and I just want to break down and cry.
It's not constant but it's lingering and varies in strength. I usually talk to someone, sleep, take a walk, watch a hilarious movie, cry it out and I feel better after.

:hug::heart:. I hope you feel better soon, funk sucks.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Doesn’t appear type related so moved from The NF Idyllic.

The things that bring me out of a funk are things that engage my Se. Being outdoors, around animals or children, listening to music or watching a movie, anything that uses my senses, the more of them at one time the better. If I’m around people and am stuck in my head thinking and feeling things like what you mentioned there are only two solutions, I can either yank myself out of my head and force myself into the moment or if I’m able to, get away from that environment into one like mentioned above where I can relax or think.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The things that bring me out of a funk are things that engage my Se. Being outdoors, around animals or children, listening to music or watching a movie, anything that uses my senses, the more of them at one time the better. If I’m around people and am stuck in my head thinking and feeling things like what you mentioned there are only two solutions, I can either yank myself out of my head and force myself into the moment or if I’m able to, get away from that environment into one like mentioned above where I can relax or think.

+1! Kill the funk by living, that does it every time for me. I guess resolving any inner issues happens as part of it too, but if you have no inner issues then action is the key, and once you do resolve inner issues (if they are present) then action still results, so Trinity's response is true in both cases. :)

aguanile

MBTI Type
IXXP
Enneagram
4w5

-insecure
-lonely
-awkward
-shy
-unintelligent
-frazzled
-lost
-manipulated/deceived
-confused
-inferior

can any of you relate?

Sums up how I am feeling right this moment.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I have an off day, at most I feel like I'm in the wrong place. I often get a deep desire to just move somewhere far away. Something about living different seperate lives intrigues me. But that's about it.