3 4.17%
123 Last

Thread: Stop thinking

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Default Stop thinking

Quote Originally Posted by ez78705 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by me_plus_one View Post
    If I have too many thoughts I just push them out of my head with ease.
    Well, that's one thing that I envy extroverts. It seems like they can just "switch it off", which is something that I'm truly incapable of doing.
    Found that interesting, Ive never really had a problem with switching off my thoughts, I can over think things till I feel as though Im bashing my head against a brick wall but still, shutting off my thoughts isnt so hard to do.

Is this true for you? If so, how do you do it and do you find it an easy or difficult process? Also do you see being able to just switch off an I v E thing?

If a train of thought catches me I find it next to impossible to jump off.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

It's not easy for me to stop thinking. If I try to do it, I won't be able to. If I become aware that I've stopped thinking, I'll start back up. The only way I can manage to stop thinking is if something distracts me naturally, and I'm not focused on the fact that I'm being distracted. It's more likely to happen when I'm really tired.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i can't shut it off but i don't overthink things all day everyday that would be exhausting and completely unhealthy i think...but when i am in overthink mode i can't really make it stop.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I'd think about stop thinking, then all the ways I could stop thinking, and when I thought I'd stop thinking, I'd be thinking about how it's weird not to have thoughts and then realise I'd been thinking all the time....so no, switching off my thoughts is next to impossible, while I'm conscious. I dream lots too...well at least I remember myself dreaming.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

one idea is to rather finish a thought for once.

also, look at motivations. cuz thoughts are not always verbal and nonverbal thoughts can be hard to witness, to grasp, but the motivation or general movement of the mind is apparent. it indicates/proves thoughts, that cannot be grasped.

so, instead of finishing a concrete thought, another attempt would be to focus the motivation. so you own it. then you consciously quit some of them (but there will be more). the nutty mind is a mind that wants 100 things at the same time. it does not really notice that, though. it gets quieter, if it gets in touch the motivations and tries to stay with a single motivation for a bit.

"stopping" the mind is not really a realistic "goal". a goal is to "own" the mind. (complicated topic, i better don't go deeper. has been done before ....)

yes, like fireyphoenix writes ...

if i try to "stop" thinking i only achieve that i dont notice my thoughts anymore, because i identify with the thought "dont think" so i cant witness that with witch i identify, and i sort of define all nonverbal stuff as not-thought, like looking at my computer ... that is only further disintegration ... whatever. nonsense ... no one can do that.

the mind can become still but thats like a different topic

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I don't really do this.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

My brain never stops on its own. I am always scheming and planning and writing music in my head and coming up with blueprints for my next project in the yard and thinking about how to make the world's greatest omelet. I love it though!

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I guess I'm talking about the 'loud' thoughts, I don't suspect one can be truly blank but I'd say we can quiet our minds so the thoughts are quieter than what's around us. Se delights like nature for instance can do this for me, I can sit and watch a sunset without noticing conscience thoughts.