• Yes but only if I concentrate on it

15 20.83%
  • No the voices never leave me

45 62.50%
  • Huh? I never think

3 4.17%
First 12345 Last

Thread: Stop thinking

I can, but I have to think about not thinking. It seems counter intuative, but it works for me.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Meditation does work. The kind of meditation that works for me is forced upon myself. By way of having to concentrate on breathing rhythm, form and figuring out a way to manipulate time in a run. In that run, that meditation is applyed during a repeat or mile 23+. Thinking has since overtaken the times before mile 23 and intervals between repeats. But that thinking that overtook those times includes the concentration of style, being that i am self concious due to thinking. I've noticed that if i'm in the middle of concentrating/meditating hard enough the thinking is nonexistant by the act of what is called the non-selfconcious farmers blow.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

A person is sleeping. Then something or someone wakes them. That person sometimes remembers the dream and sometimes it is a complete blank. A person is awake. Then something or someone interupts that persons thoughts. That person sometimes remembers their thoughts and sometimes it is a complete blank.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    i can't shut it off but i don't overthink things all day everyday that would be exhausting and completely unhealthy i think...but when i am in overthink mode i can't really make it stop.
    Same here, sometimes I can get stuck rethinking round and round and trying to turn off my racing my mind at that stage is near impossible, but sometimes I can change what I am thinking about by following a tiny thread of a different thought to a whole other subject. That's fun.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

You can be conscious and not thinking about ANYTHING?
    That IS weird.
    I can't always articulate what I'm thinking about. But I'm always thinking. I think .... Would I know if I wasn't? For me thinking and consciousness are synonymous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Like seriously people will ask me what I'm thinking and I be like "I wasn't".

Hmm, doesn't seem normal
    When people ask me that, I have to stop and choose one of the 5 things I was thinking about to tell them. Occasionally I rattle off all the things I was thinking, without filtering, that does not go well.

You sound more normal than I do.

MBTI
    ENTP

You're never not thinking. You just have to switch the focus of your consciousness.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    You can be conscious and not thinking about ANYTHING?
    That IS weird.
    I can't always articulate what I'm thinking about. But I'm always thinking. I think .... Would I know if I wasn't? For me thinking and consciousness are synonymous.
    oh...is that what they're saying? i don't know if that's even possible is it? mine vary in intensity and volume i think...i thought it was because i'm a bit anxiety prone but now i think it has to do with ne or something maybe...shit i don't know...i don't want to think about it anymore!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

At any one time I can be...

completely wrapped in a train of thought
    completely zoned out and thinking about nothing
    in the flow of the moment, completely focused on the task at hand

garbage

Whenever I'm not introspecting, I'm thinking about what I'm taking in from the external environment. All the time. It pretty much never stops.