• No the voices never leave me

45 62.50%
  • Huh? I never think

3 4.17%
First 1234 Last

Thread: Stop thinking

MBTI
    xxxx

I chose "No, the voices never leave me", but I can occasionally get them to hum quietly in the background when I do yoga or concentrate hard on just breathing (ie. meditate). Otherwise there is always a voice (or more than one) rattling around in there mulling over something. The volume varies, so maybe other people don't notice the quiet voices, but I try and hear them so I do.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    I guess I'm talking about the 'loud' thoughts, I don't suspect one can be truly blank but I'd say we can quiet our minds so the thoughts are quieter than what's around us. Se delights like nature for instance can do this for me, I can sit and watch a sunset without noticing conscience thoughts.
    yes me too.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Banned

I'd have an easier time not breathing. Even if I manage to derail one line of thought, I just end up jumping the track to another. I cannot even imagine what it would be like for things to be "quiet" internally. I don't even need an alarm clock because my thoughts wake me up before my body wants to. Seriously, I have woken myself up on several occasions midway through a derivation, or trying to figure out a way to defend some (philosophical) argument.

It depends. When something really catches me I can't let go. Otherwise it's not to hard to turn off my thoughts.
    Although I must admit thoughts often jam between me and other people. That's always been a big problem.

i guess, when in nature and relaxed there is basically a single stream of motivations. so thoughts dont become "loud", because the don't fight for dominance about other thoughts?

anyway, i know two kinds of total silence or stop, both just happen at some random point.

one is just an ending of the motion of the mind, but the I and the sensory perception stays normal and its just calm. you can look at things, meaning you make descisions. soon a single motivation is born and there is a thought about it, and it starts all over again....

the other type of stop involves a forgetting of I-ness. its like "i am none of that" or "ups, all that i (usually) am, is gone right now" "so i guess i am not" <- these are my interpretations now, not thoughts at that moment. then your sensory perceptions will slap you in the face with eternal clarity. a bit like time becomes your body. this is you. meaning there is a self, just not that I-thought. so it's a self that does not depend on thought.

i know a third variant... but i dont know how it ends. its like the opening of a gate/doorway in a spaceship. the whole of reality and identities seems to get pulled out into "a vacuum" by a tremendous force. this is the impression for less than a millisecond. it seems to be death of self. but fear makes me close the doorway, before i am actually out and gone.

(all of this is random accidents to me. i am not that skilled meditator)

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Nice goin. Thanks.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Yeah, I really suck at meditating in respect to clearing my mind, when I'm relaxed like that I'll actually let my thoughts wander and enjoy being able to follow one or two clear lines of thought cause I am relaxed but there are so many other times when my mind will just go blank. Like seriously people will ask me what I'm thinking and I be like "I wasn't".

Hmm, doesn't seem normal

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Now i'm overthinkin my last post and how it fits in the big picture. One conclusion i crossed was the title brought about a sense of awareness. But i'm sure i crossed paths with that conclusion before. 100% sure come to (think) of it.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Yeah, I really suck at meditating in respect to clearing my mind, when I'm relaxed like that I'll actually let my thoughts wander and enjoy being able to follow one or two clear lines of thought cause I am relaxed but there are so many other times when my mind will just go blank. Like seriously people will ask me what I'm thinking and I be like I wasn't.

Hmm, doesn't seem normal
    No, that is perfectly normal. Just like me.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I kinda lie, the only time my thoughts stop is when I'm overstimulated. There's too much outer stuff going on for me to hear my thoughts....something's jamming the signal. That isn't a good place to be in, as there is no inner calm.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]