User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I made the decision to tell my mom I would never see her again until she quit the cult she was in. I didn't see her for about 6 months, she almost went crazy. But I had to do it, it was sapping her money and wasn't really giving anything in return. It was about "spiritual growth" and "healing" but it wasn't doing any of those things, and it was an insane money sap. So I had to do it. My parents were divorced so I stayed with my dad until things changed. I had to avoid her a lot in those 6 months. I was 14.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INTJ

Realizing that I cannot and never will be able to fix my parents' marriage.
    There are two types of people in this world, sheep and sharks. Be a shark. Sharks are winners and they don't look back 'cause they don't have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Headstrong: You're learning the ways of...me!
    INTP Friend: Yay!
    INTP Friend: Wait....NOOOOO

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not have it.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
    -Plato

Banned

Hardest decision: Giving up a child

Factors: His safety, the safety of my other children, my safety, and his future.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I've never had any hard decisions.
    Well, you might think "Oh that's just 'cause you have a boring life Nocap" and you'd be right.

I do have a boring life.

But for me decisions are all very straightforward... it's as though things just come to me. I've never really been faced with any kind of a moral/relational dilemma, but I guarantee that shit would be easy for me to do too.

Here's how I know. I love my animals. I really do. They're effin' awesome.
    When my cat, who was older than me -- probably like... 20 by the end of it... he was a fucking fighter. even as an oldie he kicked other cat's asses. he owned the neighborhood -- and I loved that cat. We'd had him since I was born. I knew he wasn't, but he felt like a fixture in my life. A staple for the day.

In his last few months, things became real rough for him. I had to build a set of wooden stairs because he couldn't jump up onto the counter anymore to get to his bowl and we couldn't just leave the bowl on the floor to be eaten by my youngest brother.

I suggested we had him whacked. It didn't even phase me. I just knew it was tard-balls to keep him alive and in pain and struggling and all that.

It wasn't hard at all. It was just another event.
    Cat was suffering, time to take him out. Sure I wanted him around, but I knew he wasn't going to be.

Same thing happened to my dog a few years earlier. Ol' boy had a tumor. He died on the operating table. I understood. I was 8. I knew what had to happen. I was mad, but accepting it was as simple as accepting that I was wearing a red shirt (I remember... god I hated that fucking shirt).

The same year my great grandfather died. The adults thought I wasn't sad because I didn't understand. I understood perfectly.
    By that age I'd actually figured out that death meant to cease breathing (well I know now that it's a bit more complex than that), but to me it meant nothing. I liked the guy. He taught me a whole bunch of math.
    I guess I was angry that I wasn't going to learn more math, but I knew what had to happen. Mommy and Daddy gave me the 'birds and bees' talk about death early on.

So I got it. It was never a big deal for me.

Well anyway the point is, I'm not deterred from doing what I think needs done because of the ultimate.

Sure, if it can be avoided, I avoid it, but if it can't, no big deal. It was bound to happen anyway, after all.

And please NFs don't jump on me about having Caulfield syndrome or some other preoccupation with death. I have a different obsession.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

I'm so going to recruit some istj to file that data and blackmail all of you guys.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nocap View Post
    ....I have a different obsession.
    Yes, the hardest decision I've ever made was turning Nocaps down.

(Reasons I based my decision on: He couldn't buy me drinks. Yet.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I have had a few difficult decisions. One was to give up the idea of God. I'm agnostic not because it feels right, or because I'm angry at god or religious people. I don't think my reasoning is necessarily superior to people who ascribe to a religion, since I am merely a product of my experiences and can point to a place in time where I held irrational assumptions like anyone might. The implications of agnosticism can have negative emotional impact on me. The reason I hold that position is because it is the honest position. It is the natural conclusion for the actual doubts I have. It isn't comfortable, but it makes sense.

The important decisions in my life have not been based on how comfortable they feel to me. I have made personal decisions that were painful and frightening, but were reasonable and had positive outcomes that were clear if I looked past the current feelings about it. I am tough on myself and will dismiss anything I feel about something if it gets in the way of a decision based on honesty (i.e. the reality of the situation).
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Refusing to go visit my father, knowing he had been sick for awhile, when he called after having not heard from him in over a year. I didn't attempt to contact him either, but only because I was stubborn teen.

He passed away two weeks later. That made it a decision I'll regret for the rest of my life and nothing will ever hurt as badly. I have to learn things the hard way.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    It's difficult. I agonize over these sorts of decisions, and even after I've made them, I feel very wounded and ill at ease for quite a while afterward. I'm about growing branches not cutting them off. If someone else's problems are diseasing the tree, they have to go.
    It's a hard choice for sure, but it needs to be made...

It took me a long time to realize that it was important for me to do this for myself, since I tend to put my own needs near the bottom of the list. It's seems contrary to the natural tendency to help, but sometimes peole need to know how you feel about their actions. It helps you and them.
    Maybe the trick is to take a longer view of the relationship and not see is as cutting them off forever.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    Refusing to go visit my father when he called after having not heard from him in over a year. I didn't attempt to contact him either, but only because I was stubborn teen.

He passed away two weeks later. That made it a decision I'll regret for the rest of my life and nothing will ever hurt as badly. I have to learn things the hard way.
    That's very sad. I'm sorry you experienced such a thing at a young age.