• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the hardest decision you've ever had to make?

Mole

Permabanned
I have had a few difficult decisions. One was to give up the idea of God. ....The reason I hold that position is because it is the honest position.

Yes, I found leaving God to be a big decision.

It was preceded by years of philosophical debate, but the moment of truth came when I had to decide between sleeping with my girlfriend and being a sacramental christian.

I knew I couldn't have both. I had to have one or the other. And fortunately I chose Rhonda.

So I swapped God for Rhonda.

But since then I have tried to have my cake and eat it too.

So today I see God through metaphorical eyes.

Metaphor is often misunderstood and demeaned, but so far it is only humans that can think metaphorically.

As you know metaphors are comparisons of relationships. And metaphor underlies all of language and mathematics.

So we might say, metaphor is the language of God.

And anyway, metaphor enables me to sleep with my girlfriend and receive the sacraments.

So the big decision turned out to be no decision at all - and now I have my cake and eat it too.

Whoopee!

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
Whether to put myself or others first in my life: 'me' just barely won, and the 'others' are now resentful of the things I cannot be willing to do for them any more. It was the decision to give all of my self to my own life, and it's still painful to have the realisation that those who should be family are, instead, people with unreasonable expectations who cannot change.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
if i wrote it down im pretty sure most people would hate me lol

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have had a few difficult decisions. One was to give up the idea of God. I'm agnostic not because it feels right, or because I'm angry at god or religious people. I don't think my reasoning is necessarily superior to people who ascribe to a religion, since I am merely a product of my experiences and can point to a place in time where I held irrational assumptions like anyone might. The implications of agnosticism can have negative emotional impact on me. The reason I hold that position is because it is the honest position. It is the natural conclusion for the actual doubts I have. It isn't comfortable, but it makes sense.

That was the other big decision I made, and somewhat linked to the first.

With me, it actually has taken more of a flavor of "both at once" rather than "gray haze" -- i.e., I live in both faith AND doubt at the same time. I call myself an intellectual agnostic, nothing can be proven; I have an intuitive vision of God or spiritual connection; I have have a much more pervasive, diffusive, integrated view of God in the world rather than as distant personified "Other."

The odd thing actually is that it was mostly fear of what others would think (and how family would react) that I kept that part of myself under wraps and tried to make the old faith work for so long. In actuality, I found my shift to actually be more an acceptance of what I actually had believed for a very very long time (and willingness to express it), rather than an actual "Change" of my beliefs.

I am tough on myself and will dismiss anything I feel about something if it gets in the way of a decision based on honesty (i.e. the reality of the situation).

That is one of the things I have always admired about you and feel a connection with you with: I think we have a relentless commitment to reality regardless of the pain quotient or the inconvenience. So it's not driven by what we want, but what we see and submission to the perception.

if i wrote it down im pretty sure most people would hate me lol
Can't imagine it was any worse than mine.

Well, now that you've piqued our curiosity....

Hmm, maybe we can just start a new thread with people volunteering what it is you guys might have done. that could be fun!

juggernaut

Permabanned
^mine's already up there... and there were a lot of people who hated me for it at the time. Not so much now that it's all worked out but, at the time of the event, it was one of those "how could any mother..."

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Taking a moral stand that went completely against what my parents advised.

It was a completely random thing. I was 15, at the bus stop, on my way to go meet friends. This 60-ish year old guy sped by on his motorbike and was knocked over by a car turning out of a small road. I went over to help because I'm trained in first aid... but I could see that he was suffering severe head injuries - he was bleeding from the ears, nose and mouth. There was nothing that I could've done, in retrospect. He was DOA at the hospital.

I let the traffic police take down my details and agreed to be a witness at the prosecution of the car-driver. I ended up going to court for a couple of days and getting a letter of commendation (I didn't expect that, but my Mom kept it anyway).

My parents did not support my decision, reason being that "it was too much trouble and none of your business". I went anyway, with the reasoning that there had to be justice. I was 15/16, and it was the first time that I'd taken a stand against what my parents wanted because I believed that it was the right thing to do.

Subsequent similar decisions were much easier (going overseas to study even though my parents didn't want me to, studying science instead of business, doing a PhD even though they didn't want me to) because I already figured that my parents could not know what was "best" for me.

So that was my first time making an individual, "adult" decision and taking responsibility for it. It was very difficult.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^mine's already up there... and there were a lot of people who hated me for it at the time. Not so much now that it's all worked out but, at the time of the event, it was one of those "how could any mother..."

ooops, got it.

And yeah, that is a hard one.

First you have to make the decision, and then you have to deal with the stigma of being perceived as a "bad mom."

When I went through my situation(s), I had to learn to distance myself from justifying my choices to people if I realized they were already prone to just judging me. But it sucked.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Taking a moral stand that went completely against what my parents advised.

I thought it was touching. I have always done what I thought was best for me as well, within reason of course. Things have turned out well.

Hardest decision: Giving up a child

Factors: His safety, the safety of my other children, my safety, and his future.

What do you mean by "giving up?" My first thought comes to abortion, but I'm not entirely sure what you mean. My guess is that other people who wanted to know the same thing were too afraid to ask. :tongue: And no I'm not judgmental of you, you did what you had to do. I'm sorry if that was overly personal to ask.

juggernaut

Permabanned
First you have to make the decision, and then you have to deal with the stigma of being perceived as a "bad mom."

And in your thirties, with two other children, it's not like you can just tell folks you weren't "ready". Everybody feels entitled to share their opinion regarding your choice...parents, partners, friends, landlords, mailmen...That was about the time the "I" started to resurface, and "E" became much less apparent.

The only people I didn't catch flack from were the other people who would have to live with my decision, my other children. Thankfully, everything has worked out. The "baby" spends about half his time with me, he's four now.

juggernaut

Permabanned
What do you mean by "giving up?" My first thought comes to abortion, but I'm not entirely sure what you mean. My guess is that other people who wanted to know the same thing were too afraid to ask. :tongue: And no I'm not judgmental of you, you did what you had to do. I'm sorry if that was overly personal to ask.

It's not too personal, I put it out there. :)

Adoption. My youngest son was adopted by a couple I've been friends with for several years.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh wow, that is tough. My sympathies. Do you foresee it being strange in the future? Do you plan on telling your kid the truth when he becomes old enough to take that fact in? That would be what I would do if I were to make that choice.

juggernaut

Permabanned
He already knows (he's 4 now). He has two dads, and me. The adoption has been open from the beginning. Of course, going in, you never know how these sorts of situations might turn out. There were so many ways things could've gone wrong but they haven't, so I know it was the right decision. Definitely the hardest though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Adoption. My youngest son was adopted by a couple I've been friends with for several years.

I'm glad you were able to find someone with whom you had strong ties, so that things still stayed as close as possible. That makes it easier at least in regards to remaining connected with your youngest.

(Maybe not easier when dealing with family, but what else can you do?)

Yeah, family is hard. I tried hard to respect my family (and extended family), and listen, and give them the right to voice their opinion and go through whatever grieving process they needed to deal with... but it's hard when they are more interested in changing your mind than grieving and otherwise hold grudges. There's not much else to do but let them hold their opinions and meanwhile find the emotional support you need elsewhere and hope in time they better understand and accept why you made the decisions you did.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My hardest descision was accepting that religion was not for me, I simply could not believe and trying just felt like a huge waste of time. Even though everyone in my circle was religious and I was taught to be religious.

I was about 8 years old at the time.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That was the other big decision I made, and somewhat linked to the first.

With me, it actually has taken more of a flavor of "both at once" rather than "gray haze" -- i.e., I live in both faith AND doubt at the same time. I call myself an intellectual agnostic, nothing can be proven; I have an intuitive vision of God or spiritual connection; I have have a much more pervasive, diffusive, integrated view of God in the world rather than as distant personified "Other."

The odd thing actually is that it was mostly fear of what others would think (and how family would react) that I kept that part of myself under wraps and tried to make the old faith work for so long. In actuality, I found my shift to actually be more an acceptance of what I actually had believed for a very very long time (and willingness to express it), rather than an actual "Change" of my beliefs.
I'm not sure that people outside religious contexts fully understand how pervasive a world view it is, how it links you to virtually every one of your friends and family, how there is a comprehensive big picture that answers every question with some response, how there are all kinds of social fears and mental boundaries created within the system. There was a time in my life where virtually every friend, family I had contact with, and my place of employment were all based on a single religious institution. This is true for for many people.

That is one of the things I have always admired about you and feel a connection with you with: I think we have a relentless commitment to reality regardless of the pain quotient or the inconvenience. So it's not driven by what we want, but what we see and submission to the perception.
Thank you for saying that. It means a great deal.

Yeah, family is hard. I tried hard to respect my family (and extended family), and listen, and give them the right to voice their opinion and go through whatever grieving process they needed to deal with... but it's hard when they are more interested in changing your mind than grieving and otherwise hold grudges. There's not much else to do but let them hold their opinions and meanwhile find the emotional support you need elsewhere and hope in time they better understand and accept why you made the decisions you did.
I think what you have faced is likely a power of ten beyond any choices I had to make, and still my personal experience had surprises in terms of family and friends (not referring to my earlier comment about religion, but about other personal, social choices). There were some unexpectedly bitter/critical words and views towards me, and yet I know these are kind-hearted people in most cases. They came around, but it did require support from me, by being willing to listen to negativity without responding in anger, attempting to explain simply, and apologizing if the person needed that particular reassurance, or reminding the person that I appreciate them. I will add that my lack of keeping anyone in the loop added to the surprise a bit, but it wasn't the kind of situation I ever wanted to dredge out all the details about with other people, and I still haven't. I had to get centered enough to provide the support, before I told people about my changes, because I had ended up in a debilitating depression, although there was no issue of fault on my or anyone else's part.

What I concluded is that family providing support during these kinds of changes in life can be ineffective in the same way a surgeon is less effective if doing surgery on his own child. When people are too close to the situation, they personalize things in ways that are complex and layered. Sometimes people have deep-seated desires to make changes in their own life, but can't find the courage (or it isn't possible) and so take the choices another person makes as a personal criticism. Or the choice puts a crack in the foundation of their world-view and that makes them feel insecure. People dismiss most hard things as belonging to "other", whether this is illness, or belief, or lifestyle. There is a strong desire for many people to have everything relating to self and family to be perfect and serve as a model for how all people should be or something. When suddenly family becomes the other person who struggles sometimes with scenarios for which there isn't some ideal perfect answer, then life becomes especially threatening.

As I've grown older I see more and more the need to simplify relationships with people - to not dig into personal or complex topics, but to find ways to laugh together and compliment people so they feel stronger. There is just too much potential mess to try to find resolution or deep understanding. I try to accept that some judgments aren't entirely fair, but that I don't have to own those conclusions if they don't belong to me. Those aren't my bags. In a way complete acceptance can replace complete understanding, at least for the person in a position to make that choice.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Can't imagine it was any worse than mine.
yeah

its worse lol

EDIT:

actually now that i think about it there is no worse lol it might have been harder for you then for me and i would never know because i am not you.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Leaving my brothers behind when I ran away from home at 14 years old and not returning for several years after. I just couldn't take the abuse any more. Either my mother or I was going to die.

The guilt I felt for years following that destroyed me in an entirely other way. I thought I'd selfishly left them to their fate, but in hindsight I had more power to protect them from afar. I threatened her with CPS and lawyers with my father's help if the bullshit didn't stop and we both followed through true to our word. It must've scared the effing daylights out of her. (CPS had taken her and her siblings from her abusive father when she was a teenager too. History and fate had come full circle.) She never hit them again. If she had, I might've killed her.

When my INTP father had to make a list of the abuse my brothers and I had experienced, it was one of the few times in my life I ever saw him cry. Then it was his turn for guilt.

What a sad circle. It stops with me. :)

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Do I buy 2% or whole milk?!

No.but seriously, I haven't had to make any very hard decisions, not yet at least.