• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you an optimist or a pessimist?

Are you an optimist or a pessimist?

• YES. YES I AM a pessimist, thank you! :)

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • No. I'm not a pessimist. Why would you say a stupid thing like that?

Votes: 30 56.6%

• Total voters

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm an optimist from my perspective, but there's probably many others who would disagree.

So I'm like Asocial one, basicly. :D

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I think being an optimist is really beneficial to one's life. First off, you're happier, secondly shaking negativity off is great because you're not as upset or intimidated in the future.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think I turned into an optimist just to piss off my father.

Damned reactionary teenager habits.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think being an optimist is really beneficial to one's life. First off, you're happier, secondly shaking negativity off is great because you're not as upset or intimidated in the future.

I am afriad you have one hole in your logic.
Which is that pessmists are necessarily unhappy becuse they don't think there will be a good outcome.

Someone couild even say that pessimsts are playing their cards quite well.
Since things can turn our right or they(pessimists) will be right all along (what can make them happy)
But for this to work you have to be quite philosophycal person.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, pessimism works for me.

What I do is I see the absolute worst in a situation, and I strive to avoid that. I guess you could call that being a pessimist. In a way I sort of expect that worst to happen, but at the same time I try very hard to make it not happen.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would describe myself as a gloomy optimist. I'm unhappy with myself and my life, and I doubt things are going to get much better, but at the same time I try to make the best of what I have, look (occasionally) at the bright side, and never give up hope.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd like to think - I know what I'm doing.

... Don't know whether it's a case for my optimism, or pessimism.

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
I don't really like defining myself as an optimist/pessimist because that, to me, includes the assumption events themselves include positive/negative (subjectively, they do, feelings based). To endorse that I should probably have some kind of belief system that categorizes good/evil. (Which I do/don't).

I believe in myself and my abilities and strengths to deal - attitudes. I can't see a thing that could - ultimately - disturb with the balance I only can control in my own head. I examine the event with the meaning I give it by my perception.

But if having to choose, optimism.

Even though it might be unrealistic it still makes me happier in the moment I exist and that's kind of what I'm striving for with my whole existence. I do not know of tomorrow - but I can influence now, which is all I can do. The truth - the subjective truth we give meaning to - might be either way, I'm gonna pick the one that supports my well-being.

nocebo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
It depends which way my criticism points, really.

When I'm looking outward, the criticism is a form of optimism. I see things that can be improved, and get excited about doing so. It's optimism because it's often idealistic. If it's a problem, it can be solved!

When I'm looking inward, the criticism sees only my faults, and expects me to fix them all right away. It's pessimism because some of these problems can't be solved, but in my frustration, I often give up on fixing any of them, seeing only the worst in myself.

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
I have been told a few times optimism was eventually going to be my downfall
someday because I continue to chase after challenges where others shy away.

Qre:us

how do you categorize: hope for the best, prepare for the worst?

* well, the prepare part doesn't always come to 100% fruition..but, yeah

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I prefer to think of myself as an idealistic realist.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
how do you categorize: hope for the best, prepare for the worst?

* well, the prepare part doesn't always come to 100% fruition..but, yeah

...but yeah, that's what makes all the fun

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I can't really consider myself a pessimist as that would require that I nurture a consistently negative outlook or attitude in spite of the reality of the situation. But I also can't call myself an optimist because I would encounter the same, albeit opposite, problem. So, realist?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm an Idealist Optimist I think... maybe Realist, I don't know. I'm completely surrounded by pessimists, their attitude towards everything is just retarded. The first time I encountered pessimism, I thought I'd give it a bit of a try, It didn't last very long though, I've naturally fallen heavily into the optimism category over time. It feels good :D