• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Identity

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Do you have an identity?
I hope not. :)

If you have an identity, what?
Why?

religion
class
race
nationality
money
patria
ideology
family
?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well...i feel like i have an identity but i don't think it comes with a label...i may be confused...are you asking if i/ we define ourselves by any of those terms?

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Mine is incredibly nebulous due to poor judgment of self.
However, I don't consider the characteristics you mentioned my prime criteria for "identity". I usually just go on personal traits and then go down your list. To me identity=personality.
I pay some attention to those though.

(Actually now that I think about it I should probably rethink my entire idea of "identity"...)

G

garbage

My "externally-presented" identity is shaped too much by my environment, but I know there's a core set of values that I internally weigh my choices against. I take on many different roles and act very, very differently in all of them. I feel like I fit no mold and every mold simultaneously.

It's kind of odd, in that those who know me by one of my roles see my identity as just that role and probably assume I act the same way everywhere else.. whereas those who see me in many different areas, those who see the contradictions that compose the entirety of me, may or may not see me as having less of an identity. But as they get to know me a bit deeper, the contradictions start to make sense to them, and a picture of some identity--a more accurate one--emerges.

That's NeFi for you.. :doh:

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do have an identity, but ultimately it's all labels, and categories imposed by society and by my own perception of myself. Paper fictions if you will....I've often dreamt of slipping away and becoming "non-exsistent." It would rather suit me, travelling round the world as anonymous. I dislike the idea that people can track my every move....but I guess that's not really what the OP meant.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Many labels fit under my name. But an actual identity? I still need to discover :)

Mole

Permabanned
It was in 1988 that I discovered I was Australian.

And inside that larger identity nestled an idealist. And my chosen ideals were empathy and creativity.

And nestled inside these two was a telephone artist - or as we called ourselves in those days, a phone freak.

And then the US military connected the computer to the telephone network and the internet was born.

And the phone freak morphed into a computer freak. But not any kind of computer freak, but a Mac freak.

And then Mac became powerful enough for video. And Mac is now transforming me into a video artist.

So my secret identity is an artist.

But I'm scared.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
well...i feel like i have an identity but i don't think it comes with a label...i may be confused...are you asking if i/ we define ourselves by any of those terms?
No.
It was only a suggestion.
I do not know a thing about this subject.

Identity is so important.
Think of the Balkan wars. Or Hitler.
Define yourself by your own terms.

What I do know.
About identity.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Mine is incredibly nebulous due to poor judgment of self.
However, I don't consider the characteristics you mentioned my prime criteria for "identity". I usually just go on personal traits and then go down your list. To me identity=personality.
I pay some attention to those though.

(Actually now that I think about it I should probably rethink my entire idea of "identity"...)
Exactly.
Identity is about personality.

Your personality is in your hand. Not in the hand of the other.
A healthy identity is field independent.

What is your type?

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
It is not who we are, but what we think we are.

Identity is a concoction - cobbled together bric-a-brac.

When the Last of the Khazars strolled around the Balkans, he felt pretty sorry for himself.

Self pity is the most dangerous of all identities.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Posted this earlier but deleted it zz ^ Inspired me again.

An identity isn't inherently had, it's created selectively and sustained. And we can have many identities, interwoven into the fabric of our mind, which may seem complimentary and contradictory. I think, for the most part, they're unconsciously chosen, selective to the individual's experiences which seem preferable, regardless of how desirable the representation is to others, and likely sustained consciously once we can't separate the image of what we think we really are or should be.

Because normally... isn't who we are based on what we think we are?

When we're able to remove ourselves from our creations, I think we'll become self-aware we are creation, and not just aware we were created in likeness- of our own choosing.

Having an identity can be good for us. It's only when we become trapped by them that we no longer choose our roles but are chosen for parts by them and by others. We stop thinking and just do what we think we are.

K. Hope I made sense. Back to :sleeping: