• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Look them in the eye - but which one?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
To be honest I don't know what to say. Since I generally don't look at peoples eyes. Since everybody accuses me that I am staring at them.
Plus, this way it can be easier to use intuition.
Usually I talk to people while I walk in the same direction with them.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I'm left-eye dominant, and generally look across at another person's left eye.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You're perfectly normal. The cranial nerves are inverted compared to the ones which command the rest of the body. Thus if you are right-handed, it means that the left hemisphere of your brain is dominant.

I'm right-handed and right brain dominant.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That is so odd, Boo. I tested as being left-eye dominant. But I also watch mouths.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Very interesting, Bamboo!

I used to work for an optometrist when I was in high school and I never determine which of my eyes is dominant.

I took the test, my left is dominant, and I am right handed.

I have noticed that I look people into one eye as I speak with them, and then switch to the other from time to time as it is the only way I can attempt to look at both of their eyes when conversing. I move around so much when I talk that no one can look me in the eye...HA! :D

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Did you flex your big muscles at the optometrist, Hal? lol :D

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
When you look at someone in the eye, you can really only look into one of their eyes at a time (or it's very difficult to look into both at once).

My right eye is dominant. I usually look straight across, my right eye into their left. Sometimes I'll glance over into their left.

EDIT: Eye dominance test.

So how do you look someone in the eye?

hans-smil.png

paa106000076.jpg

Do you look across, or over, or both? Which one first?
Cool!

The first guy... I looked at his left eye first and then went to his right eye.
The second guy... I did the opposite.

According to the first test at the About link, I'm right-eye dom.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Did you flex your big muscles at the optometrist, Hal? lol :D

Haaa! I was only 17-18 years old then, 6'1" and 195 pounds, all legs and biceps. He did chide me about wearing short sleeve shirts whenever possible. :doh:

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
That is so odd, Boo. I tested as being left-eye dominant. But I also watch mouths.

Interesting, I also tend to look at mouths. The moment I realize what I'm doing, I stop though, in fear of coming off weird or something. :D

Trope

MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm right eye dominant (looking only into the left eye), but my eyes prefer to linger on a person's teeth..

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
I am right eye dominant and look into people's left eyes.

Typology

MBTI Type
epyT
Enneagram
I'm right eye dominant (looking only into the left eye), but my eyes prefer to linger on a person's teeth..

I've noticed I do this too with just the mouth in general, but only when I'm listening through what appears to be a monologue.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The first guy... I looked at his left eye first and then went to his right eye.
The second guy... I did the opposite.

According to the first test at the About link, I'm right-eye dom.

I did the same.

wolfy

awsm
My right eye is dominant. I look at the other persons right eye.
I'm right handed at single handed activities like writing and throwing and left handed when I use two hands in sports like baseball and cricket.

deleted
Nobody's face is ever perfectly parallel to mine, so I look into the closest eye.

Take my avatar for instance. I would look into his... nevermind.

Qre:us

A very serious, non-offensive inquiry....

So...seeing this topic made me think of an inquiry I have had for a while, which only pops up when the situation is present, but, it should be determined a priori so as not to create misunderstanding/confusion...so, now that I remembered, here goes:

If a person is cross-eyed, how do you know which of their two eyes is the 'right' one (i.e., that's the one they're using to look at you, so you should hold their gaze to that eye)? Cuz otherwise, if you're holding the gaze of the eye that's the 'outta sync', the other person might feel that you're deliberately creating attention to their condition (i.e., making fun of them)?

:shock:.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I tried it today, and found out that I am actually more comfortable looking into the person's right eye, my left. Contrary to what I said before.

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
When you look at someone in the eye, you can really only look into one of their eyes at a time (or it's very difficult to look into both at once).

My right eye is dominant. I usually look straight across, my right eye into their left. Sometimes I'll glance over into their left.

EDIT: Eye dominance test.

f439c8.jpg

So how do you look someone in the eye?

hans-smil.png

paa106000076.jpg

Do you look across, or over, or both? Which one first?

I did the test, and discovered that my left eye is dominant and indeed, when I take a picture using a camera, I instinctively put the lens towards my left eye. Cool.. :)