User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    epic

Default what makes someone perceptive about others?

i would theorize that someone must have a great awareness of themselves before they are able to perceptive about another. we must be aware of our own strengths and weaknesses, our fears and desires, our motivations and standards, etc, in order to view someone else with greater clarity. and the more complex and the more experienced a person with many aspects of the life, the deeper they grow, both in character, vision, and intellect. i enjoy multi-dimensional, balanced people, they are rare to encounter and a joy to find. of course, everything is entirely subjective and all our interactions and assessments are based on a number of randomized interpretations and selective perception. damn. what do you guys think?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I agree that knowing yourself is a necessary component. When combined with an ability to empathize and interest in the other person, you have all the ingredients for deep understanding.

MBTI
    ISFJ

F helps. Caring about others. The drive to understand others, often stems from wanting to help them or accept them.

This doesn't make Fs saints or anything, of course.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    F helps. Caring about others. The drive to understand others, often stems from wanting to help them or accept them.

This doesn't make Fs saints or anything, of course.
    I think the drive to understand others leads to the development of perceptive skills. Period.

Maybe you want to understand them to help, or to exploit. Or something else all together. See: hustlers, cops, psychologists, artists.

Whether you make choices based off of logic or ethics makes little difference in determining one's capacity for perception, but it will change the things you make an effort to perceive.

------------

A person labeled as "perceptive" of other people can usually:
    - Notice habits.
    - Notice changes.
    - Link together patterns.
    - Build a working model of the observed complete with expectations of their responses.

It would be best for a perceptive person to:
    - Be able to account for the fact that their interaction with the other person is influencing the other person's response.
    - Be able to account for their own internal sources of bias.

To do this they must also be perceptive of themselves (internal) and the other person (external).
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I don't agree that using logic or ethics has no bearing in how you perceive others. As far as feelings go, I do think Feelers have a better understanding. Theoretically, I mean. The same way I'd say Ts are probably better suited to crack codes.

MBTI
    XXFP

I don't agree that using logic or ethics has no bearing in how you perceive others.
    Neither do I! That's what I said.

This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Whether you make choices based off of logic or ethics makes little difference in determining one's capacity for perception, but it will change the things you make an effort to perceive.
    - could be rewritten as:
    Whether you make choices based off of logic or ethics will change the things you make an effort to perceive. However, the actual ability to perceive is unaffected by T or F traits.

As far as feelings go, I do think Feelers have a better understanding.
    Depends on what you are trying to understand. Feelers are usually better in interpersonal situations.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    entp

being able to notice what the other person wants them to notice and also, what the other person doesn't want them to notice.

I don't agree that using logic or ethics has no bearing in how you perceive others. As far as feelings go, I do think Feelers have a better understanding. Theoretically, I mean. The same way I'd say Ts are probably better suited to crack codes.
    I think everyone is capable of understanding both logic and ethics, and being perceptive to dominant usage of these functions in other people. After all, isn't that how we type people?

Instinctively, feelers will have a better understanding of another's feelings, and the same applies to thinkers understanding another's logic.

It's only when you have an understanding of yourself, can you go beyond your own perceptions and dominant function usage as a thinker to understand how a feeler works, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo
    Whether you make choices based off of logic or ethics will change the things you make an effort to perceive. However, the actual ability to perceive is unaffected by T or F traits.
    Agreed.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Knowing one's self is certainly crucial in the quest to understand others. I don't know about the F/T difference though. It seems like T will be objective oriented in their associations with new people and F will seek to identify with new people out of a different impetus. Anyhow...

Another independent variable of having good perceptive ability with regard to quickly assessing other people/their intent is the amount of social interaction you have had in your own life.

If you have met hundreds and hundreds of people over the course of many years, you have a large sample of folks to draw observations/conclusions from and to hone your skills of perception.

I'm an Army brat and moved around every two years. I am able to size up people very quickly as a result of having to ingratiate myself with a totally new community time and time again when I was younger. I had to decide who I wanted to be friends with, and then befriend them; I had to pick the prettiest girl in the school and make her my girlfriend.

As an adult I've worked in alot of different roles and professions. These experiences further refined the base of "people skills" I developed as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Knowing one's self is certainly crucial in the quest to understand others. I don't know about the F/T difference though. It seems like T will be objective oriented in their associations with new people and F will seek to identify with new people out of a different impetus. Anyhow...

Another independent variable of having good perceptive ability with regard to quickly assessing other people/their intent is the amount of social interaction you have had in your own life.

If you have met hundreds and hundreds of people over the course of many years, you have a large sample of folks to draw observations/conclusions from and to hone your skills of perception.

I'm an Army brat and moved around every two years. I am able to size up people very quickly as a result of having to ingratiate myself with a totally new community time and time again when I was younger. I had to decide who I wanted to be friends with, and then befriend them; I had to pick the prettiest girl in the school and make her my girlfriend.

As an adult I've worked in alot of different roles and professions. These experiences further refined the base of "people skills" I developed as a kid.
    If T is objective oriented in their associations with new people, do you not think that limits their clearest perceptions to only T, and as a result choosing to associate primarily with T?

And if that is the case, how can T properly perceive F, if the ultimate goal is to understand F. T cannot perceive F with understanding from F's perspective, because F appears to T as illogical when processed as such. Truest perception of F must be processed through F. Dominant T must develop F, in order to increase their inherent understanding of the function, in order to properly perceive F as subjective rather than objective.

On the other side of the fence, if F attempts to perceive T subjectively, rather than its' true objective nature, F will always perceive T as cold and shallow, therefore disregarding T as a whole because F lacks true understanding of T's objectivity.

To put it simply, as dominant T, I find I relate to and understand dominant F best through F. Since my F is inferior in the sense that it is not used dominantly and naturally, I have to work towards developing it to be most effective on that side, and the best way to do that is to interact with everyone with sincerity and honesty.

I agree with you on everything else