• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

dyslexia and other learning disabilities

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i am the one who does irregular typos, tries three different spelling variants of a particular word in a single paragraph. i have no routine and see things in context, which is examined in a intuitive way or the product of random focus/priorities.

as a child i wrote letters upside down and mirrored. i only switch letters on a keyboard. in handwriting i may leave letters out. i had a hard time, learning to draw a round circle. but i drew in decent 3D when my classmates still drew people whose arms were coming out of the hip, or you could see the whole body through a car window.

i am pretty bad and slooooow at mental aritmetic

i read a page in a book while thinking of something else, realize it, read the page again, think about something else ...

same for audiobooks. frequently cant focus on the audio.
same for listening to concrete instructions. do this, then that. i don't save that, rather study your facial patterns and have random associations.

this depends on content. i can listen to interesting stuff.

but if it is too interesting, it will inspire me, and then i go to the land of creative theorie.

just throw a headline about "integral theory and ad(h)d" at my head, and i will be busy inventing the content of this article for a few minutes, rather than reading it.

i learn best in interaction with a task/process. taking something apart. reverse engineering, trial and error, or drawing mind maps. in any case i must see how the learned matter will add to my "goal" which is really more a "vision" that something practical.

i hate to open a new chapter, if i cant see how or if it will fit into the book of my live/vision/investigation.

i am a Ni or Si perceiver. more likely Ni.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i relate to that too...i find it odd that i can read something...in it's entirety out loud even and be thinking of something else altogether.

i used to mix up my letters or write them backward and even now when i write i'll mix words or leave off letters if it so happens they were part of the one before...thinking i had just wrote it...and my handwriting is like cursive but they're all capitals....not many people can read it.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i read a book (cant remember title/author) by a guy who used to be car mechanic and, after mastering his own dyslexia, became a teacher to kids.

his method is obviously aimed at very specific kids, who are even more visually oriented, then i am. probably isfp and istp.

one key theory is, that these kids get disoriented in perspective, which is also their greatest skill, but needs to be controllable.

so a key method is, to imagine, that one's center of sight would be like 4 inches behind and above the head. calculate a symmetric triangle to shoulders and hairline.

this way, the kid would x-ray through his hair tuft and eyes, straight through to a book that is held in front of the stomach, using the angle as sighting notch to maintain a stable relation to things. this should help to learn to differentiate between one's true/real/actual perspective and one's calculation of possible perspective.

so, if you know for a fact, that the circle you see is seen from top, you know that it is round. if you had imagined looking from a side angle, you would assume/calculate, that the round thing which you see 'must be actually oval'.

okay, this is very weird to most people, right?

i tried this visualization practice, an in some cases it really centerer me noticeably. but for me the visual intelligence is rather subconscious most of the time. i am not disoriented, and if i were i would not realize.

i am not like a cylon, who actually lives in his visual projection and confuses it for reality.

those dyslexic kids (that the author refers to) do that, apparently
they would actually vomit, if their perspective is challenged/ intentionally disoriented by playing some tricks to them (but I have forgotten how those experiments were set up). but then they are kids. i have not been tested like that, when i was a child.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I have a tiny case of dyslexia, nothing that bothers me, really, but enough to know it's there. I'll be reading something and my eyes will skip ahead and skip around and I'll want to concentrate on the words and it may be a little hard to. I mess up while reading with little words like 'like', 'to', 'a', 'but', 'when', 'if', 'it', etc, especially when there's a lot of small words together. I think my brain wants to gather as much info. as fast as it can and I'll overlook little things. I read some of the posts, and they were saying something about Ne effecting it, and I think it's a plausible theory.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
where/who does one go to get help and information for learning disorders and/or types of thinking?

Could ask a grade school teacher that gives half a glass of crap, instead of a half empty one. In that they don't believe in pharmasuticles. The teachers that use the reasource of up to date info that presents how to keep dyslexic kids up with the rest in finding their niche.

So i just uppety bump into a grade school teacher out of the blue? You ask.

No. I found not givin a rats ass about the stigmata or embarasment of computer dating to favor the occupation of (teacher) found in certain profiles in my choosing of who to con into a date to bring up the subject of dyslexia during the date. But i'm a dude. costs a bit of money to get coherrent advise on the subject. Worth it though.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
No. I found not givin a rats ass about the stigmata or embarasment of computer dating to favor the occupation of (teacher) found in certain profiles in my choosing of who to con into a date to bring up the subject of dyslexia during the date.

this is the kind of sentence that knocks me out. there are just to many ways of interpreting the words. a word's context does not become obvious within a few neighbor words and my working RAM aint big enough to store three lines of text at once.

about the stigmata or embarasment

embarasment of computer

embarasment of computer dating

hu? (as i watch my brain creating an image of an embarrassed computer, i might get slightly mad .... don't think about dating embarrassed computes, ever)

not givin a rats ass [] to favor the occupation
the occupation of (teacher)

????

a foreign language makes it harder.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
i read a book (cant remember title/author) by a guy who used to be car mechanic and, after mastering his own dyslexia, became a teacher to kids.

his method is obviously aimed at very specific kids, who are even more visually oriented, then i am. probably isfp and istp.

one key theory is, that these kids get disoriented in perspective, which is also their greatest skill, but needs to be controllable.

so a key method is, to imagine, that one's center of sight would be like 4 inches behind and above the head. calculate a symmetric triangle to shoulders and hairline.

this way, the kid would x-ray through his hair tuft and eyes, straight through to a book that is held in front of the stomach, using the angle as sighting notch to maintain a stable relation to things. this should help to learn to differentiate between one's true/real/actual perspective and one's calculation of possible perspective.

so, if you know for a fact, that the circle you see is seen from top, you know that it is round. if you had imagined looking from a side angle, you would assume/calculate, that the round thing which you see 'must be actually oval'.

okay, this is very weird to most people, right?

i tried this visualization practice, an in some cases it really centerer me noticeably. but for me the visual intelligence is rather subconscious most of the time. i am not disoriented, and if i were i would not realize.

i am not like a cylon, who actually lives in his visual projection and confuses it for reality.

those dyslexic kids (that the author refers to) do that, apparently
they would actually vomit, if their perspective is challenged/ intentionally disoriented by playing some tricks to them (but I have forgotten how those experiments were set up). but then they are kids. i have not been tested like that, when i was a child.

Then i think those kids (he) refers to are very hard to deceive.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Then i think those kids (he) refers to are very hard to deceive.
you mean hard to deceive into thinking his method works, in case it were just a con? yes, i would think so. also they stop vomiting and learn to read, so there is some objective evidence for his method. but just with some kids...

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
this is the kind of sentence that knocks me out. there are just to many ways of interpreting the words. a word's context does not become obvious within a few neighbor words and my working RAM aint big enough to store three lines of text at once.

about the stigmata or embarasment

embarasment of computer

embarasment of computer dating

hu? (as i watch my brain creating an image of an embarrassed computer, i might get slightly mad .... don't think about dating embarrassed computes, ever)

not givin a rats ass [] to favor the occupation
the occupation of (teacher)

????

a foreign language makes it harder.

Could be the literary part of the language we're using ran/runs parallel with dyslexia in their evolvement

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a tiny case of dyslexia, nothing that bothers me, really, but enough to know it's there. I'll be reading something and my eyes will skip ahead and skip around and I'll want to concentrate on the words and it may be a little hard to. I mess up while reading with little words like 'like', 'to', 'a', 'but', 'when', 'if', 'it', etc, especially when there's a lot of small words together. I think my brain wants to gather as much info. as fast as it can and I'll overlook little things. I read some of the posts, and they were saying something about Ne effecting it, and I think it's a plausible theory.

i think it does i think that's the way it works kind of right? seeing the big picture quickly and seeing how everything relates...at once...not step by step the way you do when you write...so you make an effort to break it down and go slower.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
It's our language that takes things out of context because there isn't enough context for it to work with. Notice how it absolutely cannot overlap itself. Nor does it desire to. God forbid it evolves to addmit nature to its (surfacebaseness). Is it affraid of drouning or something. Can't learn to swim? Oh right, swimming is too natural.

it=our language. The one we're using.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

you've mentioned dyspraxia before...do you want to talk about that...it sounds interesting.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am not dyslexic but I have a learning disability called "central auditory processing disorder." I have trouble understanding anyone in a noisy background or even in a not-so-noisy background. I taught myself to read before I started school, which was a good thing because I can't do phonics. When I was in first grade, I was started off in the fast reading group because I knew how to read. Before the school year was up, I was in the slow reading group because I could not do the phonics drills. It was very boring.
My reading technique is 100 percent visual. I recognize words as pictures and I don't break them apart into sounds as an auditory reader would do. If a word is badly misspelled, even if it is phonetically spelled, I will not recognize it. I need to have people read unfamiliar words to me several times before I can recognize them and remember them and pronounce them.
Also, if I'm given multi-step directions, I am not likely to remember all of the steps.
I probably have a little ADD, too.

As one of the many learning differences I have, this one probably affects me the most. It's very likely that I also have CAPD. Phonics still doesn't make much sense to me. It was worse when I was younger and couldn't understand most of what was said to me, but even today I've still had to ask people to repeat themselves 2 or even 3 times before I can turn the sounds into meaning.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I have mild dyslexia. And I'm impatient with reading, in general (though not with writing). I find it easier to follow things through discussion and learn through picking at others' brains.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my dad said his was called classic dyslexia. i have no idea what that is. i think he made it up...does anyone know?

eta: never mind i just googled it. it's real.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i frequently ask people with dialect or bad language to repeat themselves. those idiots will usually repeat the words with the exact same dialect, same mumbling, same volume. the only add a little bit of anger. when i ask for the third or forth time, they are as angry as i am.

its a very minor problem for me, as it only affects people who cant talk like human beings. but i assume that it always takes me more concentration to understand people, than it takes most people. thats why i like to block the meaning of words out, a soon as i am not interested in a group discussion i a bar or something.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
what about people who are almost exclusively visual thinkers?
they cant learn from hearing and reading unless they are given time to visualise the information. when in a lecutre adn the guy up the front is talking and writing on the board, how are oyu supposed to do this? must they relearn the entire subject from their notes in their own time, what if the teacher only distributed certain pieces of information through speech, like when a question was asked and the visual learner either didnt have time or didnt think to write it down. how are they to know what info theyll be missing alter on. i dont see how the visual learner can keep up in class unless they ask the teacher to repeat themselves and dance around simple things like E means this, sorry what does it mean again?, E means this! the visual learner wont even knwo what they dont understand, all the input they are recieveing is meaningless noise.
are school councilers supposed to educated about this kind of stuff?
are there learning and teaching alternatives?

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
How do you do with that in the presence of background noise?
I find that words sound like gibberish when there is background noise, especially competing conversations. I have to ask people to repeat themselves two or three times and I also have to ask them to look at me when they speak. Otherwise their voices just trail off into nothing. And I don't have any hearing loss...

As one of the many learning differences I have, this one probably affects me the most. It's very likely that I also have CAPD. Phonics still doesn't make much sense to me. It was worse when I was younger and couldn't understand most of what was said to me, but even today I've still had to ask people to repeat themselves 2 or even 3 times before I can turn the sounds into meaning.