• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

dyslexia and other learning disabilities

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
is there anyone here with experience with these?
i woudl like to know how it affects you and if there's any one to see about this stuff.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i meant to post a thread about dyslexia today too! how funny...i was wondering if there was any correlation between ne and dyslexia.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
yeah its possible, seeing as Ne probably needs some kind of right brain functioning.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well for me it's the jumping around from middle to beginning to end...i feel like i process info too quickly i have to concentrate and slow down and go from left to right...it's not natural but i learned how to do it. when i was younger i had trouble with it but my dad was dyslexic so he worked with me on it...he was an enfp too.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
if everyone in the world were Ne, true add may be uncovered. by S standards i think all Ne's have ADD.
its funny that your enfp, the onyl people i ever met who were lazier and less focused in school than i (let me add this is quiet a feat, not even the entps were this bad) were enfps.
maybe its just that the enfp nature mirrors the description of add (which might as well let you be diagonised with it because if youve got the symptoms youre in the same boat). maybe strong Ne is add, maybe add heightenes Ne and lets it run loose... i dont know.
im certain though that Ne isnt one to keep you focused on memorising timetables -quick get that evil child on ritalin!

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
wtf, why am i talking about add, we were talking about dyslexia. whoops.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
is there anyone here with experience with these?
i woudl like to know how it affects you and if there's any one to see about this stuff.

Yep. It shows when i try to articulate my thoughts to words (in english). The problem lies in punctuation and spelling more than any typical problem. When i read something, one word in the whole will be read incorrectly. Now when i do that, i more carefully look at it. Then all of a sudden it makes (sense).

In an ancient language of upbringing, i can articulate in words very well gramatically and read without any one word being visually deceptive.

In another ancient language (taught) to me during my upbringing, i can naturally articulate verbally but have the same trouble in grammer as english.

The best person i've ever seen was my INFJ brother who tells me to pay attention to where puntuation lays and observe it's pattern in writing. Still workin on it, obviously. The spelling lies in a dictionary, which i am to lazy to check out. Unless the person i'm writing to is worth it.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
well for me it's the jumping around from middle to beginning to end...i feel like i process info too quickly i have to concentrate and slow down and go from left to right...it's not natural but i learned how to do it. when i was younger i had trouble with it but my dad was dyslexic so he worked with me on it...he was an enfp too.

i mess numbers aroudn all the time. my maths teachers would stare me like i was an idiot because i would get simle alegbraic equations wrong. i was mixing up numbers and the + sign with the x sign. i was the one who looked stupid but how could they not realise what the problem was. its always been right infront of techers eyes that i dont read things properly - like the time i took a maths test for a harder level and got all the answers right except for one, which, if the teacher had actaully cared to examine, they wouldve realised i had the written downt he right answer in my working out i just circles the wrong multiple choise answer.
its stupid that they put the answers that look alike next to each other.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
i mess numbers aroudn all the time. my maths teachers would stare me like i was an idiot because i would get simle alegbraic equations wrong. i was mixing up numbers and the + sign with the x sign. i was the one who looked stupid but how could they not realise what the problem was. its always been right infront of techers eyes that i dont read things properly - like the time i took a maths test for a harder level and got all the answers right except for one, which, if the teacher had actaully cared to examine, they wouldve realised i had the written downt he right answer in my working out i just circles the wrong multiple choise answer.
its stupid that they put the answers that look alike next to each other.

eye niffs one=a rt

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
if everyone in the world were Ne, true add may be uncovered. by S standards i think all Ne's have ADD.
its funny that your enfp, the onyl people i ever met who were lazier and less focused in school than i (let me add this is quiet a feat, not even the entps were this bad) were enfps.
maybe its just that the enfp nature mirrors the description of add (which might as well let you be diagonised with it because if youve got the symptoms youre in the same boat). maybe strong Ne is add, maybe add heightenes Ne and lets it run loose... i dont know.
im certain though that Ne isnt one to keep you focused on memorising timetables -quick get that evil child on ritalin!

wait...did you just call me add...i don't think i have add...i've never really thought about it before. it seemed that i was a bit dyslectic when i was a kid but i had an easy enough time with school...i occasionally had issues with my handwriting being illegible and i do have to put forth effort to slow down and take one thing at a time because my natural tendency is to just scan everything real quick...but i can occasionally miss things or jump to conclusions when i do that.

i don't know i jumble up all sorts of words and mix up numbers all the time...

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, it is true, I am dyslexic.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
it seemed that i was a bit dyslectic

lol - dyslexic. teh case is closed after the first exhibit of evidence. jk.

im not sure where add came from. i mix uo thoughts as well, like when addind up ill think 3 and 6 are the same thing... it doesnt have ot be numbers either, its just liek im missing an orgnaizing function in my mind. rahter thatn getting the appels are ripe so they should taste good i get the appel are ripe but you dont feel like drinking soda so put it back. i cant remeber things people say either. just what they looked like while they were blah-blahing.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lol - dyslexic. teh case is closed after the first exhibit of evidence. jk.

im not sure where add came from. i mix uo thoughts as well, like when addind up ill think 3 and 6 are the same thing... it doesnt have ot be numbers either, its just liek im missing an orgnaizing function in my mind. rahter thatn getting the appels are ripe so they should taste good i get the appel are ripe but you dont feel like drinking soda so put it back. i cant remeber things people say either. just what they looked like while they were blah-blahing.

i do that too...i mix up green and orange and might say that i need to put my feet on....or whatever...just switch words for things because the moment one word comes to mind something else that i relate to that word does as well so i might say that word instead...and phone numbers...i keep messing those up...is it 5545 or is 5455 or 4554 ....i can't deal with it.

i forgot what we were talking about haha :blush:

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
we were talking about dolphines. man you are bad

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't want to talk about dolphins though.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not dyslexic, but I might actually be the opposite: hyperlexic. I was able to read when I was four, even though I didn't talk until I was three. Hyperlexia isn't that much fun either because my advanceness in reading didn't last past childhood. Also, I am still left below average in the ability to use/understand spoken language.

My mind works in pretty much every strange way possible, except for dyslexia. :shock:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my comprehension level way surpasses my ability to express...it's endlessly frustrating.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
where/who does one go to get help and information for learning disorders and/or types of thinking?

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
-"My understanding of dyslexia has always been that something in the shapes of letters is what causes confusion?"

"No. I think research has shown clearly that isn't the case..

Your visual learning is fine. It's not about vision, it's about the sounds that you should already have in place in your brain in order to do that visual learning. There's nothing wrong with their hearing, but what we're finding is that there's particular aspects of sounds that their brain is just not very efficient with."

My cousin (front row center of my profile picture) is thought to be dyslexic. I learned everything I could when I found out as he is intelligent but not getting on at school.

I highly recommend UK readers to view last night's Horizon episode on the iPlayer. Aside the neuropsychological/scientific approach to education and development, it went in some depth into dyslexia and dyscalculia.

Here's a transcript from the program(me):

A huge reading experiment is underway which requires children to do something rather weird.
11-year-old Kazia is having her brain monitored, not as she reads, but as she listens to beeps.

Prof. Usha Goswami explains that the experiment involves the child listening to very simple beeps. Every one in six or so beeps has a subtle variation in its abruptness relative to the other beeps. We would not be able to recognise the difference, were it not for the text that corresponds on the screen.

-"Why is the acquisition of a reading brain not mainly about seeing words and letters on a page? How come it's not mainly about sound?"

"Because the words and letters on the page are speech written down. It's a simpler answer"

"So it's not individual differences in visual learning that determine how well or how poorly a child learns to read. It's individual differences in the language system and it's to do with the sound structure of words."

Narration:

So to be able to read, you first have to recognise the individual sounds that make up our language. These are then put together to make words.

"A word can start very abruptly, like with a "Puh" sound or a "Buh" sound. Or it can start more gradually with a "Wuh" sound or a "Luh" sound, and those rates have change in the amount of energy hitting the ear. It's very important that your brain is picking up those differences in the rate of change, for you to hear "puh" versus "wuh," for example.

Narration:

Although Kazia is not even conscious of it, her brain scan shows that she is able to recognise these subtle differences, and so has entered the world of reading. Not all children will.

-"My understanding of dyslexia has always been that something in the shapes of letters is what causes confusion?"

"No. I think research has shown clearly that isn't the case..

Your visual learning is fine. It's not about vision, it's about the sounds that you should already have in place in your brain in order to do that visual learning. There's nothing wrong with their hearing, but what we're finding is that there's particular aspects of sounds that their brain is just not very efficient with."

-"Would you say there are things that you've found out here that should change the way that our children are taught to read?"

"Well I would say it impacts certain things that early-years teachers have always done, but it shows why they are important...

Playing a musical instrument in time with singing... Anything that involves rhythmic co-ordination."

Narration:

Because nursery rhymes and songs repeat and exaggerate the sound of language, they seem to help children develop this skill.

"[music, rhyme etc, things that are fun] will help their language system develop. That's the sort of counter-intuitive bit of this research. And if you've got that strong sound structure system in your brain, then you'll be able to learn to read much better."

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I am not dyslexic but I have a learning disability called "central auditory processing disorder." I have trouble understanding anyone in a noisy background or even in a not-so-noisy background. I taught myself to read before I started school, which was a good thing because I can't do phonics. When I was in first grade, I was started off in the fast reading group because I knew how to read. Before the school year was up, I was in the slow reading group because I could not do the phonics drills. It was very boring.
My reading technique is 100 percent visual. I recognize words as pictures and I don't break them apart into sounds as an auditory reader would do. If a word is badly misspelled, even if it is phonetically spelled, I will not recognize it. I need to have people read unfamiliar words to me several times before I can recognize them and remember them and pronounce them.
Also, if I'm given multi-step directions, I am not likely to remember all of the steps.
I probably have a little ADD, too.