User Tag List

12 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Default What is maturity?

...and what makes a person emotionally and psychologically mature?

Do you live up to your own standard of being mature?

Food for thought:

Psychologist B.W. Roberts explains that in an explicit model of personality, one's personality must be viewed from both the perspective of the actor and the perspective of the observer. Therefore, one's maturity is not measured solely on how he views himself, but by how others view him as well. By this definition, how an individual feels about himself is no more legitimate than how others feel about him, and so it is important that this individual gains a certain level of maturity as he grows older to earn the respect of others.
    Source
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ENTJ

When I saw the name of the thread the first thing that popped into my head was: "realizing that the world does not revolve around you" - which is kinda what it says above. I agree, btw.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

I am the paragon of maturity.

rly
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

I think maturity, for me, stems from really seeing reality for what it is- no sugarcoating. At the same time, it's being able to make a subtle difference, because we do what's from within.. that and Dr. Robert's description. I believe relationships are a 2-way street.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    When I saw the name of the thread the first thing that popped into my head was: "realizing that the world does not revolve around you" - which is kinda what it says above. I agree, btw.
    wait, I'm sure I'm no where near mature and I don't know the world doesn't revolve around me,.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Not passing assumption as fact. At best, not internally. Today it is anyway. Tomorrow it will be recognizing others feelings. Or could it be the one who knee jerks is the immature one.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

ThatGirl

Only read the thread title. Maturity is holding yourself personally acountable for your own choices and actions.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

I see maturity in direct opposition to selfishness (whether this is psychological or physical). That is why responsibility and maturity are often seen as the same trait - 'responsibility' as a state where others needs come first. I think this is where problems arise, as social responsibility is often confused with maturation.

Social responsibility is a changing cultural value (e.g. voting, recycling) and has little to do with personal selfishness. A person may conform to social responsibilities but in an everyday situation may solely look after own needs; intimidating, manipulating and using others - taking more than they give.

What this means is that people who do not conform to dominant cultural values (not working a 9-5 job, taking illicit substances) will not be seen as 'mature' by society at large. I suggest measuring maturity is not whether you act 'mature' or not, but if you consider yourself as someone who 'gives' more than they 'take'.
    Chivalry is only a name for that general spirit or state of mind which disposes men to heroic actions, and keeps them conversant with all that is beautiful and sublime in the intellectual and moral world
    - Kenelm Henry Digby

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Responsibility + Integrity/Self-respect

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Only read the thread title. Maturity is holding yourself personally acountable for your own choices and actions.
    +1