• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

N = alien?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anyone else feel like they don't belong in this world, on this planet and especially in this society? People have been telling me for years that I need to adapt to society and stop being weird. And I've been feeling for years like I don't belong here. Also, could it have something to do with being a very extreme N?

Snow Turtle

Most likely. I do sort of identify with the feeling of not being part of society, yet at the same time there are occasions where I get the impression that I'm normal like every other individual. For that reason I chalk the difference down to society mostly being a mask.

(That doesn't explain people telling you need to adapt to society though. I've never had that problem personally. Perhaps it's because my values and behaviour aren't so extreme.)

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
It really has to do with values. Everyone has them, and Ns value things in a different way than Ss do. Take a Swimsuit Edition of Sports Illustrated for example. I cant stand frivolous sexiness since it has nothing but show to it, but the Ss I know tend to like staring at something that's good looking for the sheer sensory pleasure of it.

Another thing is that what counts as success in society is based off of the majority, and it's Sensors. Ns value things beyond the see-able. INFPs are powerfully value driven (Joan of Arc, kind of), INFJs value growth and honesty which can rankle Ss who are used to other Ss sugarcoating things (an INFJ WILL be mean if he thinks it'll improve the person in the long run, SPs are more now based)

Well the gist is that Ns are less concrete and sensors cant 'read' people like other Ns can (N can distinguish patterns quickly, unlike S which, usually?, needs to see the pattern first hand. "you dont KNOW that" says the S, while the N is quite sure of their idea.

I'm just running in circles right now... Basically its a clash of the norm (S traits like concreteness and 'having fun' or 'having the most toys compared to the Joneses') versus N traits (Truth of values, understanding things and people, et cetera)

I'm lucky and have both N parents and a charter school with a larger N to S ratio (All the teachers but one are Ns, of the Ns most are NFs). The highschool is scary since most of the people seem so foreign to me (Ss have such a different way of communication sometimes.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I know exactly about what you are talking about.
But I think that this does work just for N.
If you have any letter in "extreme" zone you will have problems in life because of it.
But you will also get a certain bonus. What others will not.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Anyone else feel like they don't belong in this world, on this planet and especially in this society? People have been telling me for years that I need to adapt to society and stop being weird. And I've been feeling for years like I don't belong here. Also, could it have something to do with being a very extreme N?

I think the issue is complex enough that it would not be isolated to just one type of function.

I have felt the way you mentioned. I often feel like I don't belong anywhere in particular, but I do not attribute that to my personality type or to any function I use. Instead, I think it is an issue of misunderstandings, miscommunication, and misplaced judgements.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Definitely. All the time. :shock: I don't know why, though. It has become better since I moved to Germany...

nanook

a scream in a vortex
well, type isn't the same for everyone.

ferrari and trabby are both type=car.

you are cool with a ferrari, but if you had a trabant you would envy a horse (type=animal).

so yeah, your "structure" is everything that makes you, it keeps everything in place, and it includes type, so the topic cant be separated from type either, except by abstract speech. some people are just not down with their environment. a matter of integration.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Comparing a Ferrari with a Trabby :D Awesome!

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm a very high N, and yeah I constantly get the vibe that people just don't understand what I'm saying as I would like them to.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
actually i would like to believe that every_intuitive person has that alien thing going on. albeit i would separate it from the integration issue. because there are people who are technically highly integrated into society and who are still subjective aliens.

but i think i know intuitive people who don't feel much like aliens.
it seems to be a matter of identification, and this is very individual.

every human needs a reflection to belong to, and there should be enough matching mirrors in the (family) lives of some happy intuitives.

G

garbage

I have to consciously restructure my thought process into a logical, systematic, procedural fashion when I communicate ideas to my ISTJ boss. But then they don't feel like the same ideas at all..

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
It's bizarre, because I have never really felt part of society.. but then that's because I don't accept society as an entity.. I don't see anyone as a part of it, but collectively we are called it if you see what I mean... I don't expect to be part of it and I expect to be different from everyone I meet but I also expect others to be.. I hold on to the uniqueness of everyone and will not acept this mob culture for myself or anyone else. :D

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

:yes:

images

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Also, could it have something to do with being a very extreme N?

More likely strongly I.

Actually, being extremely prone to any particular... anything (even irrespective of type) would probably cause this.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Most of you aliens are alright. That's why I often offer y'all food as a peace offering to you and your home planet. :wubbie:

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Ive never fit in. I did grow up with an awful lot of S's. My 3 sisters always knew how to present themselves and stuff. I was just a relatively lost but happy dork. They are all S.

I distinctly remember sitting in the living room and saying to my step mom that I didn't get it. I didn't feel like I fit in. Well in a family of 7 S's and 1 N how would I ever fit in?

Yeah I'm an alien and I dont even think my N is extremely strong.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have to consciously restructure my thought process into a logical, systematic, procedural fashion when I communicate ideas to my ISTJ boss. But then they don't feel like the same ideas at all..

Oh man can I ever relate to this with my old boss.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't feel like I belong in this world. I want to leave, and I would if I could. So yes I have the alien thing going on.