User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default What caused this odd communication breakdown?

One of the strangest things I ever observed in what I think was a Sensing type, was when he was trying to build something out of copper tubing, and he wanted to put sand into it so it would bend without "kinking" or something. He purchased sand with rocks in it, and I told him "Why don't you filter the rocks out?" He said he didn't have time to do that. So he tries to force the sand, with the rocks, into the tube with a wooden stick. So a couple moments later, after trying to figure out in my head why it wouldn't work and not finding any reason, I say, "I still don't see why you don't just use that mosquito net over there, put a bowl under it, and pour the sand on top of it?" He slapped himself on the forehead and said, "Why didn't you tell me that sooner?" I said, "I thought I did. I just assumed you had already run through the idea, and dismissed it because it wouldn't work." He said, "No, I just didn't see what you meant."

The thing is, this person was always working with tools, and I assumed he'd understand things like that easily. But I still had to point this out to him, and it was obvious to me, even though I'm terrible at using tools. Why did it work out that way, especially since I've found that Sensing types are usually better at dealing with practical problems? The whole thing really seems strange, now that I think about it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

It could be more that, for the first time, he either assumed you wouldn't know what you were talking about and/or wasn't paying attention fully because he was already thinking about what to do next. He than paid attention the second time because it wasn't working and he didn't know what to do, so was able/more willing to fully listen to and consider advice from somewhere else.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    The thing is, this person was always working with tools, and I assumed he'd understand things like that easily. But I still had to point this out to him, and it was obvious to me, even though I'm terrible at using tools. Why did it work out that way, especially since I've found that Sensing types are usually better at dealing with practical problems? The whole thing really seems strange, now that I think about it.
    Speaking from my own... uhhh... lack of listening...

He didn't see the need to do it before, but did after... that's all it is. He thought it would work regardless of if he did it, so the extra step didn't make any sense at first. And of course, he was most likely concentrating on the task at hand, which means it didn't even register.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Sometimes I'll say something and my mind will follow the thread of thoughts related to what I said, then I'll say something else and it will appear unrelated to whoever I'm talking to leaving them puzzled if not bewildered. I can almost always follow the thread back to where I started, but not everyone can follow with me and most don't bother.

The other thing I run into is thinking so much about saying or doing something that I think I actually did or said it when I did not.

And of course, I frequently assume that most people know more about what they are doing than I do and when I see them doing something that looks like a mistake to me, I figure they must have already thought of that and dismissed it and then that turns out not to be the case.

I sometimes think I should say something, but then I worry about appearing rude or like a know it all, so I don't.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    He thought it would work regardless of if he did it, so the extra step didn't make any sense at first. And of course, he was most likely concentrating on the task at hand, which means it didn't even register.
    This rings true.

And also for me, if I'm absorbed in something, I get irritated by people offering help before I've worked through it as far as I can on my own. If I get stuck, that's when I want advice, and anything offered before that will more than likely get an absentminded "mmmhmm" and be prompty forgotten as I focus on working through the problem myself.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    This rings true.

And also for me, if I'm absorbed in something, I get irritated by people offering help before I've worked through it as far as I can on my own. If I get stuck, that's when I want advice, and anything offered before that will more than likely get an absentminded "mmmhmm" and be prompty forgotten as I focus on working through the problem myself.
    I think this post wins transcends-all-types-and-is-universal-to-the-male-gender truth award!
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I think this post wins transcends-all-types-and-is-universal-to-the-male-gender truth award!
    I'd love to accept your award, but sadly I'm not male.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    One of the strangest things I ever observed in what I think was a Sensing type, was when he was trying to build something out of copper tubing, and he wanted to put sand into it so it would bend without "kinking" or something.
    Would have been even easier with the proper tools...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'd love to accept your award, but sadly I'm not male.
    dang!

but i still think it's a universal to males. Just not universal to females (although there are some).
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFJ

my two cents on this. I have a very close ISTP friend and we talk about the differences in the S/N dynamic quite a bit.

what i have discovered is that (IMO) an N will say "why don't you take out the rocks" (and they may or may not know specificially at that exact moment how to do it but will then think about it) whereas an S may need to be told exactly how to remove the rocks to "see" what the N is talking about. So, I think that is what happened. Once you said, take the net and filter them out he "saw" what you meant. Sensors are literal. Sensors are concrete. Sensors see, hear, taste, smell and feel. N's interpret and take things figuratively. N's connect one event to another (and it would not seem connected to an S) and S's take things literally.
    People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children.
    Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
    US cartoonist (1958 - )