User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 22

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    961

    Default

    I think the problem is that the guy in question is a moron.

    I looked up bending copper pipe with the sand method and it has to be a fine sand. Using the sand with rocks it in wouldn't have worked at all. This has nothing to do with S/N.

    Quote Originally Posted by indigo2020 View Post
    my two cents on this. I have a very close ISTP friend and we talk about the differences in the S/N dynamic quite a bit.

    what i have discovered is that (IMO) an N will say "why don't you take out the rocks" (and they may or may not know specificially at that exact moment how to do it but will then think about it) whereas an S may need to be told exactly how to remove the rocks to "see" what the N is talking about. So, I think that is what happened. Once you said, take the net and filter them out he "saw" what you meant. Sensors are literal. Sensors are concrete. Sensors see, hear, taste, smell and feel. N's interpret and take things figuratively. N's connect one event to another (and it would not seem connected to an S) and S's take things literally.
    Do you really think Sensors are that stupid?

    Dur, take out teh rokz? I dun no wut u meen. You don't have to have an N's godlike intelligence to know what a fucking sifter is.

    I'd better get back to picking my nose and eating glue cause this intarweb thing is just too complicated for my tiny S brain.

  2. #12
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    I don't think interpreting things literally is an S or N thing -- at least not in the way most people see it.

    What they mean by the S taking things literally is taking their observations as what they really are and noticing details. The N will see the same object but looks to be inspired by their observation -- noticing possibilities.

    S is deductive in perception -- it observes and analyzes details in the environment. N is inductive -- it looks for possibilities via imagination.

    Understanding meaning in one's words is more of a T or F thing, it's what endows the S or N function with common sense.

    Interpreting language is something either an S or N can have trouble with, particularly if there is cultural bias.

    I do in fact think it is the N who will ask "What do you mean?" when asked to take out the rocks, because perhaps the N sees "Take out the rocks" to mean a great number of things that aren't obvious. The S will take out the rocks if s(he) interprets the command to mean "Take out the rocks."

  3. #13
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    I think the problem is that the guy in question is a moron.

    I looked up bending copper pipe with the sand method and it has to be a fine sand. Using the sand with rocks it in wouldn't have worked at all. This has nothing to do with S/N.
    You're right. I knew the large rocks/grains would create too much friction, and he didn't want to listen.

    Do you really think Sensors are that stupid?

    Dur, take out teh rokz? I dun no wut u meen. You don't have to have an N's godlike intelligence to know what a fucking sifter is.

    I'd better get back to picking my nose and eating glue cause this intarweb thing is just too complicated for my tiny S brain.

    I don't claim that Sensors are stupid. I claim that that an individual who might have been a sensor was lacking an insight at a particular time. He wasn't into reading, and he liked tools. Sensors are the ones who like tools, and prefer hands-on experiences to books (he actually stated this explicitly at one point). You can read that in any book on the MBTI. I grant that he might have been an unusually thick person.

    Also, it wasn't just a sifter, I was trying to get him to realize that the mosquito net could be used as a sifter, but did a bad job of communicating my point.

    You have to remember that you are probably more thoughtful than many people. You were smart enough to seek instructions, but he just wanted to rush into it, assuming he knew what he was doing. It doesn't matter what type you are, you're intelligent. I think you're a bit hostile towards intuitives, but your arguments are well-reasoned.

    Also, about us being Godlike:

    You dare mock us? Blasphemy! *throws lightening bolt at sassafrassquatch*
    *he descends to Hades, near Charon's boat at Acheron*
    *he doesn't have fare to cross Acheron*
    *he has to walk along the banks for a century*

  4. #14
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    For what it's worth, society is more likely to look at Sensors as more intelligent, because they possess a way of thinking shared by a majority.

    Intuitives, on the other hand, are looked upon in society as misunderstood, and at worst, crackpots. And so the MBTI was created so that the Intuitive could feel special and not so stupid.

    Anyone in a minority group feels different, and so needs to lean onto something that will make them feel special. This is why the MBTI is such an attraction to Intuitives, who make up the minority percentage.

  5. #15
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post

    I don't claim that Sensors are stupid. I claim that that an individual who might have been a sensor was lacking an insight at a particular time. He wasn't into reading, and he liked tools. Sensors are the ones who like tools, and prefer hands-on experiences to books (he actually stated this explicitly at one point). You can read that in any book on the MBTI. I grant that he might have been an unusually thick person.
    Athenian, I'm not trying to harp on you but when you first mentioned the problem and said what type you think the person is, you automatically set up associations within people's minds (or maybe just my mind but evidently sassafrassquatch made the association also) that one of the person's problems with not accepting your advice was that h/she was a sensor unable to take your reasonable advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    You have to remember that you are probably more thoughtful than many people. You were smart enough to seek instructions, but he just wanted to rush into it, assuming he knew what he was doing. It doesn't matter what type you are, you're intelligent. I think you're a bit hostile towards intuitives, but your arguments are well-reasoned.
    I don't think he's being hostile he's making a very salient point. If being a sensor or an intuitive has nothing to do with this miscommunication why bring it up? Did you think it was important to mention that this person might be a sensor? It's like saying the person was wearing a blue shirt, just to say it. And just as an aside, I've seen some hostility on your part towards SPs.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I think you're a bit hostile towards intuitives
    I don't have anything against Intuitives, I have a problem with libeling a person's intelligence based on function preferences.

    I don't claim that Sensors are stupid.
    I didn't say you did, I was replying to indigo2020.

    Quote Originally Posted by indigo2020 View Post
    my two cents on this. I have a very close ISTP friend and we talk about the differences in the S/N dynamic quite a bit.

    what i have discovered is that (IMO) an N will say "why don't you take out the rocks" (and they may or may not know specificially at that exact moment how to do it but will then think about it) whereas an S may need to be told exactly how to remove the rocks to "see" what the N is talking about. So, I think that is what happened. Once you said, take the net and filter them out he "saw" what you meant. Sensors are literal. Sensors are concrete. Sensors see, hear, taste, smell and feel. N's interpret and take things figuratively. N's connect one event to another (and it would not seem connected to an S) and S's take things literally.
    Last edited by sassafrassquatch; 08-21-2007 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Missed a quote

  7. #17
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Athenian, I'm not trying to harp on you but when you first mentioned the problem and said what type you think the person is, you automatically set up associations within people's minds (or maybe just my mind but evidently sassafrassquatch made the association also) that one of the person's problems with not accepting your advice was that h/she was a sensor unable to take your reasonable advice.
    I must admit that I did make that inference. I didn't mean to express it, however. I realize it was an unfair, subjective conjecture. What I actually believed was that he was an extreme case, and was probably just using Se with little regard to a Judging function. Of course, now that I think about he, he might well have been an unusually thick Ne dominant. He wasn't a very nice person.


    I don't think he's being hostile he's making a very salient point. If being a sensor or an intuitive has nothing to do with this miscommunication why bring it up? Did you think it was important to mention that this person might be a sensor? It's like saying the person was wearing a blue shirt, just to say it. And just as an aside, I've seen some hostility on your part towards SPs.
    I conceded that his point was valid. Yes, I probably do display subtle hostility towards SP's, but it isn't intentional. They often make me feel threatened and agitated, even though I know they don't mean to. I probably tend to unreasonably dump a lot of negativity onto Se's because they represent my underdeveloped shadow side. It's all psychological.

  8. #18
    only bites when provoked
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I think this post wins transcends-all-types-and-is-universal-to-the-male-gender truth award!
    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    dang!

    but i still think it's a universal to males. Just not universal to females (although there are some).
    SEXIST!

    Yes, I'm offended.


    Response to the OP: Many sensors are somewhat blind to intuition. It happens to me all the time because I foolishly assuming people are intelligent and capable of seeing simple processes that lead to the solution I propose. Granted there are always those that may need help.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

  9. #19
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    SEXIST!

    Yes, I'm offended.


    Response to the OP: Many sensors are somewhat blind to intuition. It happens to me all the time because I foolishly assuming people are intelligent and capable of seeing simple processes that lead to the solution I propose. Granted there are always those that may need help.
    but wolf, you know there's truth in this
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  10. #20
    only bites when provoked
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    but wolf, you know there's truth in this
    I disagree. More like currently-accepted sexism, because nobody is out there protesting it.

    See this thread
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Similar Threads

  1. Do you know what movie this is from?
    By swordpath in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 05:59 PM
  2. What is this indicative of?
    By Ezra in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-05-2008, 11:11 AM
  3. What Does this Picture Mean?
    By Helfeather in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-28-2007, 08:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO