User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy listening to music while studying/concentrating and whats your MBTI type

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • NFP - music

17 32.69%
  • NTP - music

6 11.54%
  • NFJ - music

3 5.77%
  • NTJ - music

4 7.69%
  • STP - music

2 3.85%
  • STJ - music

1 1.92%
  • SFP - music

3 5.77%
  • SFJ - music

0 0%
  • NFP - silence

3 5.77%
  • NTP - silence

7 13.46%
  • NFJ - silence

1 1.92%
  • NTJ - silence

3 5.77%
  • STP - silence

1 1.92%
  • STJ - silence

0 0%
  • SFP - silence

0 0%
  • SFJ - silence

1 1.92%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I enjoy listening to music while studying, but because I'm bored, not because it truly helps. I have a hell of a time admitting to myself that I focus better in silence.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]
    Likes Forever liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
    I enjoy listening to music while studying, but because I'm bored, not because it truly helps. I have a hell of a time admitting to myself that I focus better in silence.
    I can relate so hard on that.
    Likes Video liked this post

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    297 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Gauche View Post
    Well, I've been thinking about that we have two groups of people. First group need absolute silence when studying, while the second group enjoys having loud music during studying, and often can learn better with music.

I have a theory that it has something to do with auditory vs. visual thinking. You know, auditory thinker needs silence so his thoughts are not disrupted, while visual thinker is not disturbed by the noise.

What do you think? Do you need silence to concentrate or music is welcomed for you?
    Interesting. And, as a visual thinker, I tend to get visually distracted very easily when trying to study. I almost have to have music playing, preferably electronic music with a constant rhythm, that helps to channel my thoughts into a cohesive manner, but have someone pass by my visual periphery, and my attention is pulled away from my subject, even if just briefly, it is.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I just write my own music

But being at least half-serious...I don't like listening to music when I am intensively studying, for this very reason. I find it to be very distracting.

MBTI
    INTJ

The only way I can listen to music while studying is if it's something with absolutely no vocals and very little variation in intensity. If it has either of those, the music is just too distracting and I can't help but pay attention to it.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I cannot listen to normal music while studying. Too distracting and disturbing from my focus.

I either need silence, or Binaural Beats and Isochronic Tones to help me focus. Which I suspect hardly anyone here has even heard of.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I like all sorts of music while I work and study. Certain songs I really enjoy can distract me though, because I just want to sing or dance lol.
    "..But my dreaming self refuses to be consoled."- M.Atwood
    tumblr | instagram

MBTI
    beep
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

How can NFPs listen to music while reading words on a page of a (probably boring) textbook? Maybe they're the chosen ones after all.
    Previous username: EliaBlack

I always learn in silence. Otherwise my learning turns mostly turns into listening of music ... and I don't do any real learning in that scenario.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Music! Silence "invites" to check the surrounding and get distracted. I have a hard time concentrating, so I started trying anything I could to force myself to stay in my seat. Music did. Now it's like a habit: if I have my headphones on, I have to make an effort to stand up.

About the music, whatever keeps me entertained. Yes, I'm a visual thinker, and as an introvert who doesn't give a crap about the real world, it's easy to isolate oneself from the "outer" noise. When doing creative things, I listen to highly emotional (for me) music, songs I can ing out loud and act with my face. When studying, I generally use music I already know to avoid the Google searchs, and it's often a whole discography of one band whose music is more or less the same, so my brain doesn't think about It.

But to be honest, I'm the master of multitasking: I can read while listening to music while talking on the phone while checking that the food is not being vurnt while thinking what I have to do tomorrow. I got used to that since little. In fact, the nore hings I have in mind, the better I can perform them.
    MBTI: INTP (though I'm PINT-sized) * Ti = Ne > Fi > Ni > Si > Te = Se >>> Fe
    Enneagram: 5w4 - 4w5 - 1w9 sp/sx * 5 > 4 > 1 > 8 > 3 > 6 > 7 > 9 > 2
    Socionics: LII - Ne
    SLOAN: Rc|U|EI
    Holland Code: AIE
    Temperament: Melancholic/Choleric
    House: Slytherin
    Oldham's: Idiosyncratic/Solitary

Omnis res est se ipsa singularis et per nihil aliud