User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yeah, you can definitely influence your perception. I was talking with my roommate about perception and we agreed that sensation is the stuff that enters your mind from the outside. Perception is what happens when it commingles with your memory/associations. So I might see an object moving (sensation) but when it "enters" my mind, it gets associates with bird, and all the stuff "bird" does, and there might be some idea about it's purpose and intention, etc.

The sensation component is pretty constant while the resulting perception is very fungible, since it's dependent on the ideas and associations you invoke, consciously or subconsciously. When you use drugs, you influence some of those associations, either by suspending them, or making them conscious so you can see that they are just associations and not objects themselves.

Does it bear some relationship to functions? I don't really care. (Not to sound mean, I just don't think it matters and just leads to confusion.)

MBTI
    INFP

"Fungible!" Edahn said, "fungible!" You were lawyering today?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I lawyer every day, whether at work or not.

MBTI
    INFP

I think for me it matters. I need to do reality checks with people from time to time and find them useful for interpreting my environment.

As far as whether it's possible to alter one's attitude/behavior by altering one's thoughts, that's the basis of Rationale-Emotive therapy. I think it works better for some types than others.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I lawyer every day, whether at work or not.

I get that. Too bad you can't get paid for the days off.

MBTI
    enfp

yeah, sometimes my perception of things and events change depending on who im dating...

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Whether it's through meditation, drugs, realization, changing your point of view... I think there are endless ways for us to alter perception and state of mind.

Some people say it's "unnatural" and some just fear altered consciousness because of fear of the unknown. But this has been happening for as long as human history is old.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Better a Tolle in the hand than two in the bush, I always say.
    How could I resist?

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Some people say it's "unnatural" and some just fear altered consciousness because of fear of the unknown. But this has been happening for as long as human history is old.
    Yes, for instance we radically change our consciousness twice every day.

As we move from wakefulness to sleep, we pass through the hypnogogic state.

So at the most mundane level we have three levels of consciousness - awake, asleep and hypnogogic.

And of course we keep changing the levels of our consciousness all during the day - whether by driving a car, watching TV, making love, taking a drug or going for a run.

Our consciousness is altering all the time.

As indeed l'alternance is the secret to happiness.

But most altering of consciousness is culturally induced, and so completely conformist.

So the possibility exists of us taking the alteration of our consciousness into our own hands. And so take our altering consciousness out of the hands of culture and into our own creative hands.

In other words, the possibility now exists of becoming a trance designer.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, for instance we radically change our consciousness twice every day.

As we move from wakefulness to sleep, we pass through the hypnogogic state.

So at the most mundane level we have three levels of consciousness - awake, asleep and hypnogogic.

And of course we keep changing the levels of our consciousness all during the day - whether by driving a car, watching TV, making love, taking a drug or going for a run.

Our consciousness is altering all the time.

As indeed l'alternance is the secret to happiness.

But most altering of consciousness is culturally induced, and so completely conformist.

So the possibility exist of us taking the alteration of our consciousness into our own hands. And so take our altering consciousness out of the hands of culture and into our own creative hands.

In other words, the possibility now exists of becoming a trance designer.
    We are not very conscious in the moments before sleep and in the moments before waking.

For it is the process which brings on the most rapid change that the conscious is most fearful of.