User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Perversion

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ Well, specifically.. Perversion is more the negative aspects of things. Yes, denotatively, it can be taken as positive or negative.. but I think society has turned the term to mean something negative in nature.. as positive things own other words.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

So basically perversion is just a twist on the norm- it could be good or bad, if looked at denotatively. The connotative meaning of the word is negative though- associated with pedophiles and such (like Herbert on the Family Guy!).

The conflict being between what is and what's perceived, as far as word meanings go.

A politician may have a perverted sense of justice- this is used as a bad term, however, if you say, for instance, that "the robber had a perverted sense of evil which prevented him from murdering his victims" I suppose you could take it as a positive

Society doesn't like deviation from the norm, so perversion is BAD!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Society doesn't like deviation from the norm...
    So take my advice - don't deviate from the paragraph.

And whatever you do - don't deviate from the topic.

Indeed you can demonstrate you are normal by using normal grammar.

And then, whatever you say, Whatever, we will like you.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

for those that care about the norm, perfect grammatical structure may be more important

for those of us who are well aware of grammatical laws but refuse to follow them... well, I guess people still read e e cummings in lit class!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP

for those that care about the norm, perfect grammatical structure may be more important

for those of us who are well aware of grammatical laws but refuse to follow them... well, I guess people still read e e cummings in lit class!
    Language is devoid of a grammatical structure.
    Language is an elastic thing.

A grammatical structure is a school teacher's dream.
    It is only a dream.
    A language does not have a norm.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Language is devoid of a grammatical structure.
    Language is an elastic thing.

A grammatical structure is a school teacher's dream.
    It is only a dream.
    A language does not have a norm.
    Absolutely. We are perverted by language.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Absolutely. We are perverted by language.
    Exactly.

Communication is not the norm.
    Language is communication.
    Very naughty.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

So basically perversion is just a twist on the norm- it could be good or bad, if looked at denotatively. The connotative meaning of the word is negative though- associated with pedophiles and such (like Herbert on the Family Guy!).

The conflict being between what is and what's perceived, as far as word meanings go.

A politician may have a perverted sense of justice- this is used as a bad term, however, if you say, for instance, that "the robber had a perverted sense of evil which prevented him from murdering his victims" I suppose you could take it as a positive
    It works, but then people would just say "he had a conscience"

People like connotations more than they do the meaning of the words themselves. After all, a person most often use discourse for conveying ideas as they are conjured in his head.

I agree with the perversion surrounding language.
    But it's not just we who are perverted. The language itself has been defiled.

A norm in language isn't necessary, but a convention is certainly useful -- between Victor and Wildcat's prose and creed, you'd think no use can come of employing a common practice. At least where language is concerned.
    we fukin won boys

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

It's only human nature to warp things to our own needs and interests- language included. Sure, it may be a perversion, but its inevitable- that's how language changes or how social rules change- people start interpreting them differently.

Looked at in a different way, perversion and corruption are steps towards social or linguistic evolution.

*crosses fingers that we don't end up like in idiocracy*

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Left-handedness is a choice. Mayhap not initially, you instinctively pick up whichever one you lean toward. You choose to keep left-handedness though.. As you can easily be taught to do things other ways. My father's right handed now from a badly broken left arm, and just never decided to switch back to left handed when his arm fixed.
    No, it's not. You can't decide I want to be left-handed, and switch to it, and be left-handed from that point forward. Whichever one your brain initially favors, that's the one you're pretty much stuck with. Apart from extreme circumstances of course (losing, injuring an arm, etc.). But if you try and teach a person to use their other hand, they're not going to become a person who uses that hand constantly.