User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Perversion

  1. #11
    Senior Member Anja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    2,967

    Default

    Gotcha on that one, Nocap. Pervasive (and perverted) mass media has everyone on the bandwagon thinking they've discovered something unique and hopefully perverse enough to get attention.

    I wonder how far we can push the limits before there's nothing which will make us look badass anymore. We'll have to depend on our own flimsy resources, I spose.

    Does this mean that whatever won't be flogging people for my amusement any longer? Too vanilla, I'm guessing.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

  2. #12
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    We are all humans. "The norm" isn't just defined by society/upbringing but by instinct.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Anja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    2,967

    Default

    So. If enough people seek out the "abnormal" as a trend, it becomes normal? Is that what you're saying, sytpg?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

  4. #14
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Instinct is hardly observable except menifest in cooperation with societal norms.

    Have you anything to say about perversion of instinct or...

    What are you talking about?
    we fukin won boys

  5. #15
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Well I can only really speak about myself but the reason why I don't have a foot fetish isn't because society would think I'm weird and it isn't because I chose not to have a foot fetish. It's just not me. So I'm thinking it has got to do with hardwiring and ultimately instinct.


    Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    So. If enough people seek out the "abnormal" as a trend, it becomes normal? Is that what you're saying, sytpg?
    No I actually meant the opposite
    It's not all about choice, that's what I'm saying basically. Just like sexual orientation isn't about choice.

  6. #16
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Well I can only really speak about myself but the reason why I don't have a foot fetish isn't because society would think I'm weird and it isn't because I chose not to have a foot fetish. It's just not me. So I'm thinking it has got to do with hardwiring and ultimately instinct.
    How can you be so sure that rather than your instinct being in opposition to foot fetish, that it's not instinct to be accepted?
    Instinct can be at least made analogic to unconscious reasoning, which is, by definition, unconscious.

    I don't see how you can see into that with such confidence.
    But then, an Fi type would think they could.




    No I actually meant the opposite
    It's not all about choice, that's what I'm saying basically. Just like sexual orientation isn't about choice.
    That's a bunch of nonsense. It might not be a conscious decision, but I guarantee it's a choice. In nature, there's no such thing as exclusive homosexuality. There is such a thing on occasion, but it's mostly out of pleasure -- ostensibly meditated.

    How is it that the species with the most advanced conscious faculty is the one more driven by unnatural instinct?

    Are you going to make some comparative claim about humans raccoons in that the industrialization and permanently alterred environment causes us to change our habits so drastically due to irreparable confusion?

    Appreciate the coon.
    we fukin won boys

  7. #17
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    How can you be so sure that rather than your instinct being in opposition to foot fetish, that it's not instinct to be accepted?


    Instinct can be at least made analogic to unconscious reasoning, which is, by definition, unconscious.

    I don't see how you can see into that with such confidence.
    But then, an Fi type would think they could.
    Everyone knows what they fantasize about, inside their head, in the privacy of seclusion. Also, everyone has idiosyncrasies which they can pinpoint. I'm comfortable enough to lie about having a foot fetish, so this is how I know I'm not consciously bound to social norm.

    Can you attribute any common human urge (say, like eating) to instinct rather than social norm? Where do you draw the line?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    That's a bunch of nonsense. It might not be a conscious decision, but I guarantee it's a choice. In nature, there's no such thing as exclusive homosexuality. There is such a thing on occasion, but it's mostly out of pleasure -- ostensibly meditated.

    How is it that the species with the most advanced conscious faculty is the one more driven by unnatural instinct?
    How can a choice be made unconsciously? And how can you guarantee that, as an Ti type? :P Would you call left-handedness a choice?


    Btw, I don't know if I see this consciousness/instinct dichotomy as clear cut as most people seem to do. Consciousness isn't emancipating us from instinctual bounds. Sometimes it is reinforcing them.

  8. #18
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    How can a choice be made unconsciously?
    Well of course it can't because choice, like analysis, judgement and humour, is a cognitive function not an unconscious function.

    It's interesting that in the unconscious there is no positive and negative. So it's like saying, "Don't think of pink elephant", and saying, "Do think of a pink elephant". The result is the same - you get the same image. Well, the unconsious operates in the same way.

    And in exactly the same way, the unconscious cannot choose.

    The unconscious can present but it cannot choose.

    That is why it is vital to make the unconscious, conscious.

    Because it is only in the conscious mind that we can make moral choices.

  9. #19
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Left-handedness is a choice. Mayhap not initially, you instinctively pick up whichever one you lean toward. You choose to keep left-handedness though.. As you can easily be taught to do things other ways. My father's right handed now from a badly broken left arm, and just never decided to switch back to left handed when his arm fixed.

    Instinct can only guide you.. choices are what makes us in the end. Anorexics have the instinct to eat, but they choose not to.. Maybe I'm missing your point Sy.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  10. #20
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    None of this has anything to do with perversion.
    we fukin won boys

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO