User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: People continuing to smoke Cigarettes

Smoking is a waste of money. Even without the health risks...

The "I'll do what I want" argument has never phased my opinion. Especially since everyone I know who smokes has told me they regret having started. Can anybody vouch for smoking making you feel even above mediocre?

IMO, the cause is always shortsightedness or apathy at the time of starting. Having a non-crappy life as a kid / young adult might be the only "cure" ... but you can't really pressure people to seek out all the studies of ciggs being bad, which may change their mind. Most young folk are not inclined to research before sampling.

"A want fastened, wants annihilation."

INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    So, what are you saying? That there is nothing wrong with people doing things that could harm themselves? Then why do we have laws about seat belts? Laws about not drinking until 21? And why do you believe that I wish to control people? I'm simply saying that it doesn't fit well with many of our other laws and regulations regarding such matters.
    I don't think Toonia stated how she, personally, felt about it. She just theorized about what is actually going on. Describing what you see is not the same thing as saying you like what you see or that what you see makes a lot of sense.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

1) Money, especially how some governments say "we are going to put high taxes on smokes to get people to quit". Yah, like they really want that to happen.

2) Cigarettes are addictive, but they do not stop people from being fully functional working people. A lot of drugs were banned because people who were once hard working people who used them recreationally because addicted and were no longer functioning the same way... it became disruptive, or so I've heard. Even something like weed causes a lot of people to slow down, not think as quickly.

Its the same with booze... most people have a couple of beers after work to relax or whatever, but it won't disrupted them the next day, it won't destroy their lives.

As the introduction of cigarettes was relatively recent, cultural support for the proscription of tobacco will need at least another generation to develop.

It's the oddest habit, though; sort of a neat and pleasureless alcoholism. I don't know any smokers who aren't either resigned, surreptitious or both.