User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by MrME View Post
    This time of the year, near the end of Winter, I start to feel a little down on myself. Does anybody else experience this, and if so, what do you to combat it? I have all kinds of full-spectrum lightbulbs at home, but they're not helping any more.

I tend to get overly critical of myself and others. Unfortunately, this manifests itself online as well as off, so if I say something asshole-ish, please point it out. I don't mean to be this way.

This behavior leads to "worry loops." I'll say something mean-spirited or just plain thoughtless and get a negative reaction. Then I'll obsessively guilt myself over it until I become mentally incapacitated.

*sigh* Hate this.
    Actually yeah I get this too. Like right now, I feel pretty down, and this happened last year too. I'm more anxious, antsy, angry, moody, and hungry from the period right after New Year's to the beginning of spring. But I love snow, so go figure. My two favorite seasons are summer and winter. Also, during the summer, I am happy. They have a disorder like that, it's called Season Affective Disorder: What is Seasonal Depression?

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

To the OP:

My dad has seasonal depression as do most of my immediate family members. (Runs in the family) During the winter to spring transition he turns on a full spectrum light box (that has been discussed in this thread) to illuminate his bedroom in the early hours of the morning. It seems to help him in waking up, of course starting your day off on a good note is all it takes sometimes.

I noticed you said you have full spectrum lights around your house and it sucks that they don't help, but another piece of information is to do something you enjoy when the depression strikes you, before you lose your initiative. My dad likes to go outside and trim our rose and raspberry bushes, it seems very meditative and therapeutic for him, a person who was diagnosed before the age of 10.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I think I have mild S.A.D., and have for a while. Not so much with depression, but with lack of energy. If I come home from work and it's dark out, I'm pretty much ready for bed, even if it's 6:30pm, and I have a REALLY hard time getting up when it's dark out. Used to phrase it as, "the shorter daylight hours really get to me", before I learned that that pretty much means S.A.D., and before I learned that my mom has it too.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I think a lot of it is simply cabin fever, to be honest. Feeling stuck and trapped indoors, because with good reason you don't feel like leaving the house once you get home. I think forcing yourself out, even though you don't feel like it, would help a lot. Getting a gym membership, maybe - or any other avenue/outlet that would get you out at least a couple of times a week. It can be incredibly hard to force yourself out in the winter, but...mentally/emotionally it can work wonders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic View Post
    To combat this depressive morose feeling, I usually just look to do things I haven't done in a long time, go certain places I haven't been in a while, listen to new music, watch movies, or just anything out of the ordinary to change the setting of air.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I go outside every day whether I want/need to or not. A couple of spots I've found that help lighten my mood are spending some time at The Humane Society playing with the kittens. And going to our larger greenhouse to stroll around in the tropical atmosphere. "Oh lookit! Here comes that depressed lady again."

And I watch my diet. I have a tendency to crave sugar and carbs when the days get shorter. Caffeine, alcohol and sugar have that rebound effect which can worsen the depressed mood.
    These are great suggestions.

Other things that have helped me this season, so far:

- Painting the walls of my living room a light blue, when they were olive green last year -- makes a HUGE difference in lightening the place up

- Draping decorative strand lights on my fireplace mantle, and keeping them turned on 24/7 (this idea was inspired by advice @Nixie gave me a while back)

- Little things, like always having flowers in vases, and lighting scented candles regularly

I'm thinking that in a month or so, I'll start taking a walk every afternoon -- getting outside and soaking up some sun. There's a walking trail by my work and it's lovely, so I might as well take advantage of it.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Makes me think of the time living in Sweden.
    The sun goes up at 10:30 am and goes down at 2pm during the harshest time in the winter. The winter in Sweden lasts up to 5 months a year.
    I felt depressed, so depressed, more than I ever had before.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |
    Likes Noll liked this post

I think the afternoon walk is a great idea.

One thing I got from my Danish friends, is cozy candles in the winter months, a feeling of hunkering down together with laughter and drinks to make the long nights more bearable.

hygge
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.
    Likes EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post

One thing I got from my Danish friends, is cozy candles in the winter months, a feeling of hunkering down together with laughter and drinks to make the long nights more bearable.

hygge
    I love this.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post

hygge
    I love this - it's what I spend the hot summer looking forward to. Hygge is a much better word for it, I agree.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.