First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post
    Online for about 150 bucks you can buy a little lamp that you sit in front of and read for half an hour a day. It helps regulate this a little better.
    Along the line of this advice, I think that if you really feel bad then artificial tanning provides a similar type of feeling to your body (similar to being under the sun for hours).

But yeah, I can see the problem that some people may have with this. I am in Scandinavia for 5 months with the university now, and that's not enough time to feel bad, but since I'm used to call the last week of february "spring", expecting 10-12 C(whereas here we're still deeply in winter), I'm a bit
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I don't intend to invalidate your experience, but consider that if you think your depression surges up during the end of winter, then it probably does and will. New age, quantum thought? No, not at all. But when was the last time you forgot something by concentrating on it?
    Not really.

MBTI
    INFP

I've had SAD for nearly all my life but it was only diagnosed in my thirties. It doesn't help to live in MN and be of Northern European descent. We certainly aren't alone in this. I think half of all Minnesotans are down in the dumps this time of year. It even has a cultural moniker - "cabin fever."

This winter it has been particularly bothersome. I use light therapy for thirty minutes every morning. It seems to have a cummulative effect so I've discovered it is important to be both regular and consistent with it. I try to stay to an early morning schedule.

I go outside every day whether I want/need to or not. A couple of spots I've found that help lighten my mood are spending some time at The Humane Society playing with the kittens. And going to our larger greenhouse to stroll around in the tropical atmosphere. "Oh lookit! Here comes that depressed lady again."

And I watch my diet. I have a tendency to crave sugar and carbs when the days get shorter. Caffeine, alcohol and sugar have that rebound effect which can worsen the depressed mood.

When it gets particularly grim I go to Mexico. Tickets on my desk as we speak. Now I only have to wait a couple of weeks to use them. That's my last desperate act as I wait to say "bye-bye" to Winter. But just setting up something to look forward to every month or so also seems to help.

(It's supposed to be forty degrees tomorrow! Hang in. We're almost done now. . .)
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Just go to a tanning salon. You'll feel better and look great. Although I love the snow, the winter does put a damper on me because I exercise less and don't go running.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    I don't intend to invalidate your experience, but consider that if you think your depression surges up during the end of winter, then it probably does and will. New age, quantum thought? No, not at all. But when was the last time you forgot something by concentrating on it?
    This is actually along the lines of why I realized I didn't really have SAD. The mind can be a powerful thing. Self-fulfilling and all of that.

Several years ago, one of my lowest points, emotionally, was smack in the middle of June. I was sitting outside, in the lovely summer, sun beating down upon me, and I was depressed. I remember a light bulb going off - just the realization that I was at my lowest in GOOD weather. ;-)

Just that awareness - that it wasn't really the weather that was to blame for the majority of my mentality - and lo and behold, subsequent winters were quite a lot easier for me. I was much more able to just roll with it and accept it.

But back to what I originally wrote - just as exercising gets those endorphins out into your body, and is biologically good for your mental/emotional health, staying active and trying to resist the lethargy and irritability and depression of being stuck inside all winter can help combat as well. And being more proactive about getting yourself out and about. And biologically, to mimic sunlight and its effects, yes, the lamps might help, and the tanning booths are probably a good suggestion - although they're kinda bad for other reasons. ;-) It's a tossup. It's possible a lot of it is psychosomatic anyway.
    (If you think it will help, it probably will.)

And yeah - again, it's human. Like I said, pretty much everyone in MN and those sorts of climates run into the same issues. That says something.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Just go to a tanning salon. You'll feel better and look great
    Please dont. When I was a teen/early 20's I was a regular client at tanning salons and even worked at one part-time when I was in college. It's really done a number on my skin , and I have a TON of sun-damage. A few years ago I also developed some Pre-Melanomas and now must have complete body checks (for Melanoma) every 6 months. Don't do it - buy one of the light-boxes that we've discussed. They don't cause all this damage.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Thanks for the replies.

Tanning is not for me. I go straight from pale blue to blistered. Besides, I'm not sure it's a lack of sunlight or activity. I actually walk for about 40 minutes every day -- rain, snow, or shine. It's part of my commute to work. (In the summer I ride a bicycle.)

This week I'm doing just fine. After some deliberation, I think it's just a mix of the cold, and the effect of living with two Extraverted Sensors who are depressed because they can't go outside and run around town like a pair of social maniacs.
    INFJ
    4w5

MBTI
    INFP

I think a depressed mood can be "contagious." A doctor acquaintance of mine told me once, "Whenever I see a patient who says they're depressed, I always ask them who else in your house is depressed."

But then he might just be drumming up biz.

Glad you're feeling better.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    Please dont. When I was a teen/early 20's I was a regular client at tanning salons and even worked at one part-time when I was in college. It's really done a number on my skin , and I have a TON of sun-damage. A few years ago I also developed some Pre-Melanomas and now must have complete body checks (for Melanoma) every 6 months. Don't do it - buy one of the light-boxes that we've discussed. They don't cause all this damage.
    If you just go once in a while, let's say 3-4 times each winter, it's no big deal. If you're regular, then yes it's not good.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    I have the same issue. In my case it just manifests itself as lack of motivation and general irritability. I did a little research on light-boxes and decided to buy this model. It really helps. Though last year the winter was sunny enough that I didn't need it as long as I walked my dogs daily. This winter I thought I was going to be OK also, but I think I'm going to get started.

Light therapy seasonal affective disorder SAD lightbox

I bought a new one on Ebay.
    I was going to suggest something like this too, apparantly they are supposed to help. I have a friend who owns one and she says it makes a difference.

I enjoy winter for awhile, but about a month before spring is when it starts to get to me because I am just waiting for the blossoms to burst free.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari