User Tag List

First 12

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Hmmm I'm not sure if this fits... INFJ is associated with holding a consistent inner vision about how the world should/ought to be. However I frequently hold contradictory ideas in my head. That I can believe in two things that are at odds with each other and not question their validity. But I suspect other INFJs probably feel the same way too. I don't know.
    Yep, same here. It can get quite confusing in here.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by faith View Post
    Add me to the list with Eileen.

I actually don't think this is outside the box for INFJs.
    Yeah it's not...

Something that's unique about myself I suppose may be my somewhat egocentric nature; it's more greatly unique as I'm supposedly NF. I'm not sure if it could be completely thought of as egocentricity, but I'll give an example. Whenever something of great importance is placed upon me, I become ridiculously stressed to the point I become physically pained. However whenever someone close to me has something important that's stressing them, I try to detach myself as much as possible, and it makes me appear very apathetic.

My motivations are something key to note though. It's not that I really don't care; (most of the time I do) I think I'm just scared to bring out more anxiety in myself based on their problems; I can't allot everyone else's problems to affect me when mine already do to the caliber that is done. I think it really does come off as genuine apathy though; whenever this "mode" of myself surfaces I answer most questions of these people with either "I don't know" or "I don't care".

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by faith View Post
    Add me to the list with Eileen.

I actually don't think this is outside the box for INFJs.
    I do this, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Whitman
    Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Carroll
    `I ca'n't believe that!' said Alice.

`Ca'n't you?' the Queen said in a pitying tone. `Try again: draw a long breath, and shut your eyes.'

Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said `one ca'n't believe impossible things.'

`I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Hmmm I'm not sure if this fits... INFJ is associated with holding a consistent inner vision about how the world should/ought to be. However I frequently hold contradictory ideas in my head. That I can believe in two things that are at odds with each other and not question their validity. But I suspect other INFJs probably feel the same way too. I don't know.
    It's entirely possible I do this, but if it's pointed out, I'm a bit horrified by it. I have serious doubts about the human mind's ability to be objective, so have a rather all encompassing drive to view my thinking from various, distanced perspectives. Of course now I'm inclined to examine why I would feel horrified.

Question for the INFJs that mentioned holding contradictory beliefs... What do you do when it's pointed out? Are you content with the contradiction? Does it depend on the situation?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Well I consistently score as an INTP and yet my FIRO-B results place me quite close to INFP however my F seems to be in poor shape because I go with my intuitive understanding of things and never check reality for confirmation.

It's kinda odd cause when I'm concentrating then my F dies a horrible death or comes to the fore (dpends on focus) and I'm very aware of reality but I can miss patterns easily.

Some say I'm a balanced person but I think I'm more likely to be a weeble. I rock all over the shop in a kinda 3 dimensional swingometer!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Question for the INFJs that mentioned holding contradictory beliefs... What do you do when it's pointed out? Are you content with the contradiction? Does it depend on the situation?
    Typically I point out those contradictions myself as I ponder upon various ideas. So most of the time I'm okay with such values. For example, in turns of faith and religion, you can say I believe in many things that are not proven... in fact I truly think some ideas if examined too closely will fail to work. Yet I hold in my mind that I am a scientist, such that all theories should technically be closely scrutinized. That anything shown to be false should be rejected, but there still remains some values that I cannot bear to part with. In the case where both sides are equally balanced and there is no guilt involved, I feel this is just a part of who I am. That life is not worth examining if everything is strictly black and white.

At other times, I feel guilty for holding onto beliefs that goes against social norms. In particular those that concern morality... what are virtues and what are vices? Is it okay to be selfish? It's the internal struggle to figure out where I stand that's discomforting rather than the act of having contradictory beliefs.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Typically I point out those contradictions myself as I ponder upon various ideas. So most of the time I'm okay with such values. For example, in turns of faith and religion, you can say I believe in many things that are not proven... in fact I truly think some ideas if examined too closely will fail to work. Yet I hold in my mind that I am a scientist, such that all theories should technically be closely scrutinized. That anything shown to be false should be rejected, but there still remains some values that I cannot bear to part with. In the case where both sides are equally balanced and there is no guilt involved, I feel this is just a part of who I am. That life is not worth examining if everything is strictly black and white.

At other times, I feel guilty for holding onto beliefs that goes against social norms. In particular those that concern morality... what are virtues and what are vices? Is it okay to be selfish? It's the internal struggle to figure out where I stand that's discomforting rather than the act of having contradictory beliefs.
    That explanation works. Thanks.

I tend to deal with analyzing subjective systems that contain objective components like the arts and psychology. That is my focus in life. Because of this, I don't see things in black-and-white, but entirely in grey. My mind is deeply agnostic in every respect. If I hold two conflicting beliefs, I will consider each possessing a certain degree of probability. In the absence of all conclusions, there is no conflict, or perhaps continual conflict depending how you look at it. In my mind there are opposing poles towards which ideas lie, so that everything exists on a continuum. This appears consistent with observations of the natural world. It is difficult in a way for my mind to exist in such a continual state of flux, but impossible for it not to.

For example when I encounter a person, I consider many scenarios that explain their behavior and interaction towards me. As I gather more information, a clearer picture emerges approaching a conclusion, but never reaching one entirely. I operate on the assumption that another individual cannot ever be known entirely. It is a lonely thought, so there is still that little part of me that hopes I am mistaken about this.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

It's entirely possible I do this, but if it's pointed out, I'm a bit horrified by it. I have serious doubts about the human mind's ability to be objective, so have a rather all encompassing drive to view my thinking from various, distanced perspectives. Of course now I'm inclined to examine why I would feel horrified.

I get uncomfortable. (I seem to be using that word a lot lately.) I try to explain how I can be undecided and conflicted with contradicting beliefs, and either the other person will understand, or they'll look at me in confusion. It's gotten to the point where I just go ahead and explain the contradicting beliefs together so no one can point it out and put me on the spot. Most of the time I question the reason why someone would do this... But my boyfriend tends to point out when I'm being contradictory, and I know he does it so that I will look at these beliefs and begin to analyse why I believe the way I do and maybe there are modes of thinking that don't apply to my life anymore. The process still makes me uncomfortable, but at least I know he's not doing it for any malign reason.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    There is no box to begin with it is all part of our self-imposed immaturity.

And as far as psychology that you've cited is concerned we have to keep the personality/temperament distinction in perspective. Personality is the way we are, temperament is what we were born with. Temperament is not what we are, but what we have.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

For example when I encounter a person, I consider many scenarios that explain their behavior and interaction towards me. As I gather more information, a clearer picture emerges approaching a conclusion, but never reaching one entirely. I operate on the assumption that another individual cannot ever be known entirely. It is a lonely thought, so there is still that little part of me that hopes I am mistaken about this.
    Interesting... I'm not sure if I'm going off-topic on this (probably am)... to never take anything for the absolute truth, that the world functions on probabilities... is that related to Ni? Because you describe exactly how I see things. In fact it's one of the ways I account for belief for supernatural incidences... it's all based on probability. If you will it... that enough people will it, it alters probability of outcomes. Blah! Crazy thoughts. Nevermind...

The box is just means figuratively typical behaviour... people aren't really stuck inside boxes... just beyond a range about the "mean" of some sort...