• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI as a cure.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Typing people is fun and all. But we all know it often leads to 'sjs are evil' clichés or obvious truism such as 'entps are totally awesomost eva!!!'

here's an idea, and I want to remind you guys it probably only really applies to 'clear' types, people who can remember being this type as a child or something.

MBTI typing could be used as a cure in times of depression or confusion. When one feels lost. To remind somebody who she or he really is and want to be.

For a student, structuring a course into bulletpoints helps to recall past lessons and ordering them into a whole.
Knowledge of one's type and functions could have the same role and serve as a backbone for further personnal healing and development.

As a reminder of the 'good times' and perhaps an explanation for the bad.

:popc1:

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes I totally agree! Applied and used correctly, type provides useful insights into who we are and why we do the things we do, as well as providing a road-map of the psyche which can be used for healing and personal development.

I have personally used the system in this way to help and advise others many times and with great success.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
MBTI confirmation-bias can be powerful. But I learned sometime ago, that sometimes it's important to have something to believe in, even if it's not completely true.

This is not to say that MBTI does not appear logic (depending on whose take you choose), but that reaffirming our type's qualities and spotting our type's weaknesses can be really beneficial even if no one can 100% identify himself/herself with his/her type.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Having a good understanding of function and good functions breakdown tools is just as if not more important than knowing the 16 types thing.
I for example, am really Ne Ti Fe Si, and a good entp description will basically be me.

Why function breakdown ? Because I see alot of people trying to 'find their type' when it's just not that clear.

We're all tempted to do what astrology lovers do, read what we want to read, because that's how the human mind works. It finds paterns and organize them into a coherent whole.
This tendency can lead many astray and is the source of all the 'am I an INFJ an ENFJ or an ISFJ' threads.

MBTI confirmation-bias can be powerful. But I learned sometime ago, that sometimes it's important to have something to believe in, even if it's not completely true.
Ur kinda wise :ninja:

I have personally used the system in this way to help and advise others many times and with great success.
everybody knows lots of INFJ are fulltime mystical soul healers :D

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Talking bout televangelism, I've read that religious cults (i do include mormons and all the 'church is the best' kinda people) turns people toward E, S, F and J.

Mole

Permabanned
Typing people is fun and all. But we all know it often leads to 'sjs are evil' clichés or obvious truism such as 'entps are totally awesomost eva!!!'

here's an idea, and I want to remind you guys it probably only really applies to 'clear' types, people who can remember being this type as a child or something.

MBTI typing could be used as a cure in times of depression or confusion. When one feels lost. To remind somebody who she or he really is and want to be.

For a student, structuring a course into bulletpoints helps to recall past lessons and ordering them into a whole.
Knowledge of one's type and functions could have the same role and serve as a backbone for further personnal healing and development.

As a reminder of the 'good times' and perhaps an explanation for the bad.

:popc1:

MBTI is a dodgy personality test. It was plagerised by a mother and daughter without a qualification between them.

And it was plagerised from, "Personality Types", a book that contains no empirical evidence.

If anyone here is even remotely interested in having their personality tested, they would pay a qualified psychometrician, a psychologist, to measure it.

But that is not the name of the game, is it?

No one here is interested in having their personality tested in a reliable and valid way by a professional because MBTI is a world wide cult that feeds off gullible members.

Today the purpose of MBTI is to feed your narcissism and make you feel good.

This leaves open the question - why do you need to feel good?

And the answer is - because you feel bad.

And you feel bad because you are probably mildly depressed.

And mild depression can best be treated by talking with a qualified, professional psychologist.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
MBTI is a dodgy personality test. It was plagerised by a mother and daughter without a qualification between them.

And it was plagerised from, "Personality Types", a book that contains no empirical evidence.

If anyone here is even remotely interested in having their personality tested, they would pay a qualified psychometrician, a psychologist, to measure it.

But that is not the name of the game, is it?

No one here is interested in having their personality tested in a reliable and valid way by a professional because MBTI is a world wide cult that feeds off gullible members.

Today the purpose of MBTI is to feed your narcissism and make you feel good.

This leaves open the question - why do you need to feel good?

And the answer is - because you feel bad.

And you feel bad because you are probably mildly depressed.

And mild depression can best be treated by talking with a qualified, professional psychologist.

Well if all of that is/were true, the "farce" is/would still be cheaper.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
:huh:
Victor, seriously, stop trying to read people. This is getting embarassing. You don't know me, nor can see me.
Maybe it's just cold outside and I'm posting on a whim while watching tv?
Ever thought of that?
And where the hell did i ever say i was sad? :doh:

And yeah MBTI is not the most accurate tool, but it may, just as books or any spawn of the human mind, be a source of inspiration.
While trying to have such a wide approach is bound to lead to inconsistencies and gross generalisations it is still a good gateway to other, more specific psychological studies.

G

garbage

As I always tend to say.. don't hate the tool; hate the people who misuse it. :)

Mole

Permabanned
Well if all of that is/were true, the "farce" is/would still be cheaper.

Well, the truth is you get what you pay for.

But here, at least, almost any university will provide a psychologist for free.

And here also, any government health clinic will provide a psychologist for free.

And here most hospitals will provide a psychologist for free.

Also here, you can attend a psychologist of your choice, and if you have a low income, most of the fee will be paid by the government.

No, people believe in MBTI because it provides all the benefits and all the traps of a cult.

MBTI is a superstition. And the world is full of the superstitious.

Mole

Permabanned
:huh:
And yeah MBTI is not the most accurate tool, but it may, just as books or any spawn of the human mind, be a source of inspiration.
While trying to have such a wide approach is bound to lead to inconsistencies and gross generalisations it is still a good gateway to other, more specific psychological studies.

MBTI has the same truth value as astrology, or alchemy, or phlogiston.

MBTI is not a tool at all, it is a belief dressed up as science just like Social Darwinism or Lysenkosim, or eugenics, Christian Science, Creationism or Scientology.

MBTI is meant to deceive those who want to be deceived.

And those who want to be deceived lack all dignity.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
And when you're done with all the fancy poetry. What about trying some inductive reasoning?
Keeping it open ended, you poets seem to love endless horizons. (and unicorns)

Mole

Permabanned
And when you're done with all the fancy poetry. What about trying some inductive reasoning?
Keeping it open ended, you poets seem to love endless horizons. (and unicorns)

And finally, those without dignity resort to insults.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm curious as to why you participate here, Victor, if you feel this way about MBTI.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
He likes listening to the sound of his own voice.

Let's face it, the only people who ever thought poetry was the way to access any kind of relevant information or understanding were .. poets. And while I'm sure it must be a real firework show down in his limbic system it doesn't really impress me much.

Passing judgment for the sake of rhymes, always stating things as absolute and calling everybody else judgmental.
Loving the sound of his own voice yet telling others to look up and see how the world really is.

For once, make sense. And when the audience keeps quiet, don't assume it's because they agree. Maybe the room's just empty.

Thanks for trashing the thread victor.
My compliments.

If anybody feels like backing victor, I'd be glad to see studies showing low correlations between functions and behavior for example.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I think of it as a adjunct to understanding. As any system, it isn't all good or all bad, but rather a useful tool to quick assessment.

Then one turns to real life to see what fits and what doesn't in any individual case.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Yeah ofc, that's why I think people whose behavior\function doesn't fit type should just try something else if they're looking for accuracy.

But mbti is still based on groups of people whose answers and behaviors were correlated enough to make quite accurate descriptions based on questions.
It's not about finding the atom, it's about percieving a 'color'. Yes it's biased, yes it's stitched up, but it's a tool we can use to get useful informations.

I see mbti types as an 'averaged' personality model. And quite like in a bell curve, you'll have people fitting just right, others less.

heart

heart on fire
Well, the truth is you get what you pay for.

But here, at least, almost any university will provide a psychologist for free.

The pyschologist at my university was the one who introduced me to MBTI years ago right before I graduated when I was looking for career counseling.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
The pyschologist at my university was the one who introduced me to MBTI years ago right before I graduated when I was looking for career counseling.

The psychologist is clearly depressed.