123 Last

Thread: MBTI as a cure.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Arrow MBTI as a cure.

Typing people is fun and all. But we all know it often leads to 'sjs are evil' clichs or obvious truism such as 'entps are totally awesomost eva!!!'

here's an idea, and I want to remind you guys it probably only really applies to 'clear' types, people who can remember being this type as a child or something.

MBTI typing could be used as a cure in times of depression or confusion. When one feels lost. To remind somebody who she or he really is and want to be.

For a student, structuring a course into bulletpoints helps to recall past lessons and ordering them into a whole.
    Knowledge of one's type and functions could have the same role and serve as a backbone for further personnal healing and development.

As a reminder of the 'good times' and perhaps an explanation for the bad.

Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Yes I totally agree! Applied and used correctly, type provides useful insights into who we are and why we do the things we do, as well as providing a road-map of the psyche which can be used for healing and personal development.

I have personally used the system in this way to help and advise others many times and with great success.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    ISFJ

MBTI confirmation-bias can be powerful. But I learned sometime ago, that sometimes it's important to have something to believe in, even if it's not completely true.

This is not to say that MBTI does not appear logic (depending on whose take you choose), but that reaffirming our type's qualities and spotting our type's weaknesses can be really beneficial even if no one can 100% identify himself/herself with his/her type.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Having a good understanding of function and good functions breakdown tools is just as if not more important than knowing the 16 types thing.
    I for example, am really Ne Ti Fe Si, and a good entp description will basically be me.

Why function breakdown ? Because I see alot of people trying to 'find their type' when it's just not that clear.

We're all tempted to do what astrology lovers do, read what we want to read, because that's how the human mind works. It finds paterns and organize them into a coherent whole.
    This tendency can lead many astray and is the source of all the 'am I an INFJ an ENFJ or an ISFJ' threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    MBTI confirmation-bias can be powerful. But I learned sometime ago, that sometimes it's important to have something to believe in, even if it's not completely true.
    Ur kinda wise

Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    I have personally used the system in this way to help and advise others many times and with great success.
    everybody knows lots of INFJ are fulltime mystical soul healers
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Ur kinda wise
    There's something to this hippie BS, I tell ya!Televangelism, here I come!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Talking bout televangelism, I've read that religious cults (i do include mormons and all the 'church is the best' kinda people) turns people toward E, S, F and J.

... In theory.

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Typing people is fun and all. But we all know it often leads to 'sjs are evil' clichs or obvious truism such as 'entps are totally awesomost eva!!!'

here's an idea, and I want to remind you guys it probably only really applies to 'clear' types, people who can remember being this type as a child or something.

MBTI typing could be used as a cure in times of depression or confusion. When one feels lost. To remind somebody who she or he really is and want to be.

For a student, structuring a course into bulletpoints helps to recall past lessons and ordering them into a whole.
    Knowledge of one's type and functions could have the same role and serve as a backbone for further personnal healing and development.

As a reminder of the 'good times' and perhaps an explanation for the bad.

MBTI is a dodgy personality test. It was plagerised by a mother and daughter without a qualification between them.

And it was plagerised from, "Personality Types", a book that contains no empirical evidence.

If anyone here is even remotely interested in having their personality tested, they would pay a qualified psychometrician, a psychologist, to measure it.

But that is not the name of the game, is it?

No one here is interested in having their personality tested in a reliable and valid way by a professional because MBTI is a world wide cult that feeds off gullible members.

Today the purpose of MBTI is to feed your narcissism and make you feel good.

This leaves open the question - why do you need to feel good?

And the answer is - because you feel bad.

And you feel bad because you are probably mildly depressed.

And mild depression can best be treated by talking with a qualified, professional psychologist.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    MBTI is a dodgy personality test. It was plagerised by a mother and daughter without a qualification between them.

And it was plagerised from, "Personality Types", a book that contains no empirical evidence.

If anyone here is even remotely interested in having their personality tested, they would pay a qualified psychometrician, a psychologist, to measure it.

But that is not the name of the game, is it?

No one here is interested in having their personality tested in a reliable and valid way by a professional because MBTI is a world wide cult that feeds off gullible members.

Today the purpose of MBTI is to feed your narcissism and make you feel good.

This leaves open the question - why do you need to feel good?

And the answer is - because you feel bad.

And you feel bad because you are probably mildly depressed.

And mild depression can best be treated by talking with a qualified, professional psychologist.
    Well if all of that is/were true, the "farce" is/would still be cheaper.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Victor, seriously, stop trying to read people. This is getting embarassing. You don't know me, nor can see me.
    Maybe it's just cold outside and I'm posting on a whim while watching tv?
    Ever thought of that?
    And where the hell did i ever say i was sad?

And yeah MBTI is not the most accurate tool, but it may, just as books or any spawn of the human mind, be a source of inspiration.
    While trying to have such a wide approach is bound to lead to inconsistencies and gross generalisations it is still a good gateway to other, more specific psychological studies.

... In theory.

garbage

As I always tend to say.. don't hate the tool; hate the people who misuse it.