• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI as a cure.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For some, it's just an entry point for self discovery.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't know how well it works for others, but discovering MBTI and applying the basic principles kept my marriage from dropping dead!

I finally could understand my ISTJ husband.

So regardless of whether I was mislead or not, it worked for me at an important time in my life.

Mole

Permabanned
I'm curious as to why you participate here, Victor, if you feel this way about MBTI.

Mate, this is no longer MBTI Central. It is Typology Central. And Typology is the perfectly respectable study of psychological tyoes.

Typology is not a cult - it is a discipline.

Mole

Permabanned
But mbti is still based on groups of people whose answers and behaviors were correlated enough to make quite accurate descriptions based on questions.

There is no reason to think these correlations exist.

As these correlations have been published in no peer review journal.

So it is plain that MBTI is a New Age belief posing as scientific psychology.

MBTI is pseudo science.

It is tailor made for self deception and the deception of others.

If you were genuinely interested in having your personality tested, you would not do it yourself, you would pay a professional psychologist, in fact a psychometrician, to do it.

But you won't do it.

So at the end you are reduced to insulting me.

Where will that get you?

Mole

Permabanned
The pyschologist at my university was the one who introduced me to MBTI years ago right before I graduated when I was looking for career counseling.

I would be very surprised if your 'psychologist' had a degree in psychometrics.

For instance, did she have a batchelor's or a master's degree, or a doctorate in psychometrics.

My guess is that she was a career counsellor with a belief in New Age magic.

Mole

Permabanned
I think of it as a adjunct to understanding. As any system, it isn't all good or all bad, but rather a useful tool to quick assessment.

Then one turns to real life to see what fits and what doesn't in any individual case.

Just think for a moment.

You could say exactly the same thing about alchemy.

But alchemy, like MBTI, has no truth value whatsoever.

How ridiculous you would be to turn to real life to see what fits and what doesn't fit in alchemy.

We passed through the Enlightenment about 300 years ago, and we replaced alchemy with chemistry.

MBTI is part of the New Age Movement.

The New Age Movement is opposed to the Enlightenment.

And it is not only the New Age Movement that is opposed to the Enlightenment, also the Jihadi are also opposed to the Enlightenment.

Both the Jihadi and the New Agers are opposed to the best in Western Culture.

Why is this?

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
^^^^ Victor, as soon as I saw this thread I was just waiting for you to post in it.

But please do keep going! The rhetoric is cracking me up! :D

heart

heart on fire
I would be very surprised if your 'psychologist' had a degree in psychometrics.

For instance, did she have a batchelor's or a master's degree, or a doctorate in psychometrics.

My guess is that she was a career counsellor with a belief in New Age magic.

Actually she seemed the more hard boiled get to business and "win friends" type. Kept suggesting that I get into resturant management. :huh:

G

garbage

C'mon, it's an entry point for self deception and the deception of others.

Hell, psychology overall gets a bum rap because many people view psychologists as manipulators who try to get into others' heads for their own personal gain.

Don't hate the tool. Hate the people who misuse it.

also there's a lot more that i'd love to reply to but i think everyone else will cover that for me

Mole

Permabanned
Hell, psychology overall gets a bum rap because many people view psychologists as manipulators who try to get into others' heads for their own personal gain.

Don't hate the tool. Hate the people who misuse it.

also there's a lot more that i'd love to reply to but i think everyone else will cover that for me

Psychology is a social science.

Psychologists seek empirical evidence, make hypotheses and test them. And openly publish their results in peer reviewed journals for criticism and falsification.

I am the first to criticise psychology on the grounds that it doesn't have the equivalent of a periodic table or a theory like general relativity or like quantum mechanics or like a theory of natural selection.

So I would say that psychology it like biology before the Origin of Species and the discovery of the structure of DNA.

However great strides have been made in neurology. And we can now watch the brain working in real time.

And of course we can collect empirical data and analyse it with statistics.

And so far there is no overall psychological theory. But then there is no over all theory even in physics. So we keep learning and looking.

But MBTI is a false lead. It is not even wrong because it is not falsifiable.

However MBTI is popular across the world.

My objection to it is the same as my objection to Islam in that both believe in the supernatural and magic.

And in my opinion the supernatural and magic can best be understood metaphorically.

And I must say I really like metaphor because metaphor operates on three levels of generality whereas literal description operates only on one level.

They say poets create religion, prophets abuse religion and priests do it to death.

Even Peguy says that religion begins in mysticism. But of course Peguy would also say religion does not stop there. In fact his religion has incorporated Aristotle into its theology via Thomas Aquinas. And in the 1990s the Pope incorporated Darwin's Origin of Species and Watson and Cricks discovery of DNA into Catholic theology.

They also say that religion is very nice in small doses because the toxicity lies in the dose.

And this is precisely true of metaphor.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
MBTI is meant to deceive those who want to be deceived.
And those who want to be deceived lack all dignity.
Says the one person on this thread stating facts as absolutes.
Well, the truth is
The truth is you keep using words you don't seem to grasp. Check your dictionary next time you use words such as superstition or supernatural. And yeah I understand what you mean, but since you seem to believe your role is to bring truth to the world you could at least be accurate in your use of the English language.
You keep bashing mbti. You don't even seem to read people's answers for what they are, and pretty much keep repeating yourself.

And you feel bad because you are probably mildly depressed.

And mild depression can best be treated by talking with a qualified, professional psychologist.
I laughed my ass off on that one.
WRONG.
If you were genuinely interested in having your personality tested, you would not do it yourself, you would pay a professional psychologist, in fact a psychometrician, to do it.

But you won't do it.

So at the end you are reduced to insulting me.

Where will that get you?
(wrong, again)
Oh? So you've been following me again ? Because you seem to know so much about me. It's really amazing.
For all you know I could be a psychology student.

If you think a realistic assesment of the way you seem to express yourself is an insult, well. You may be a tad oversensitive (or a drama queen).
Again, when EVERYONE insists on talking about answers\behavior correlations and the relativity of the information, The fact it's an empirically made up averaged personnality. That it doesn't have more truth value than our perception of colors...YOU KEEP acting like an all knowing, all powerful mind.

Every statement I've seen you make about me or other members of the forum were uterly wrong, how about that mister scientific mind.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
C'mon, it's an entry point for self deception and the deception of others.
Was that a swipe at m'wah?
It may be an entry point for self deception, and the deception of others, but it's the game I'm playing for the moment, so as long as others are willing to play the game with me, and understand the above as I do, I have no problems with that.
Isn't that what life is about in general?

sade

Well, the truth is you get what you pay for.

But here, at least, almost any university will provide a psychologist for free.

And here also, any government health clinic will provide a psychologist for free.

And here most hospitals will provide a psychologist for free.

Also here, you can attend a psychologist of your choice, and if you have a low income, most of the fee will be paid by the government.
Well, not here. Not easily accessible nor free. Unless you're underage or in a psychosis.
But besides that.
If it is deception, then I have encountered worse.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
They also say that religion is very nice in small doses because the toxicity lies in the dose.

And this is precisely true of metaphor.

Victor, mate, ever heard the expression "Hoist on your own Petard"? ;)

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Wow Victor, way to take over a thread with your own useless ramblings. I mean, you must feel really good about yourself, considering the fact that nobody really cares about what you have to say. *rolls eyes*

So my question to you is, why bother being a part of this forum [previously MBTI Central, changed to Typology Central due to a copyright something or other preventing our forums from using the same name as another, but not changing the content ONE BIT, and in that sense, not changing the basic principle of why this forum exists..] when you don't seem to believe in it? I mean, why bother having your type posted for everybody to see when you seem to think this personality typing is all a big joke?

In addition to that- did you take a test to type yourself> Or did you have one of your 'free psychologist' friends do it for you? And keep in mind, where you are located, you might have the luxury of this 'free pyscho-analysis', but for the majority of us, we must pay for such a service. We type for fun, to maybe better understand ourselves, we read up on it. Where do you think a psychologist gets their information from? They certainly don't invent it themselves, and if they were taking a course on it, well, the truth of personality typing had to come from *somewhere*, didn't it?

And INFP? Really, do you think you are? Because I really didn't think an INFP would hold such a grudge against something that is not based on complete fact. Given that an INFP is pretty much the epitome of what 'could be', for the fantastical elements of life- personality typing included, no matter if it is matter of opinion or written fact.

I also don't see where you come off as being able to think for everybody else on this thread. Telling us that we all must be depressed and such. Because I'm so sure you know each and every one of us on such a personal level that it would frighten us all to realize just how much you 'understand' how we think and function. :) I mean, you probably even know what we do routinely and all [isn't that a bit stalker-ish? do you not have anything better to do with your time??].

Oh and for my secondary reply to the forum as a whole- I've come to find that typology and MBTI has brought me to understand myself a little bit better. I don't exactly invest my entire belief in it, as it is not an exact science- one cannot just contain a human being in a tiny, neat little box so easily- however, it does come very close to explaining why or how some people are the way they are. And I quite enjoy exploring the possibilities of typing others, myself, and figuring out enneagrams- because it is fun to discuss and to do and to continue to try and understand myself and others.

Mole

Permabanned
... nobody really cares about what you have to say.

If nobody cared about what I have to say, they wouldn't reply to my posts.

Attention is the name of the game, and attention can be either positive or negative.

Attention is attention.

You either pay attention or you get a free ride.

It seems to me that most are paying their dues.

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
If nobody cared about what I have to say, they wouldn't reply to my posts.

Attention is the name of the game, and attention can be either positive or negative.

Attention is attention.

You either pay attention or you get a free ride.

It seems to me that most are paying their dues.

So you're basically admitting that all you want is attention, is that it? Perhaps you are the lonely and depressed one projecting your emotions on others..hmm..how sad for you :(

And did it occur to you that maybe they were trying to knock you off your high horse? :)