• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can someone ask too many questions?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am thinking about opening this thread for a while.

My natural style of conversation comes down to questions and answers.
I usually start conversations with a question and it is normal to me that data I get is questioned further in my head and later they are returned to the owner in pieces. I can do that with personal convictions without too much problem. But I have learned that people in many cases don't like this.

Also I have a problem with receiving facts since I almost always want more and deeper information.

Any opinions or comments?
I am pretty sure that many NTs will see themselfs in this.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
if someone spends too much of their time focusing on what they don't know, how can they utilize what they do?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yes and that was your limit. you'll have to go now.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Actually, Anti, I don't think there is a limit. My curiousity is unlimited. But I seek a balance in asking for information and giving information.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Are the questions fragmented, does the interviewee necessarily have a sense of the transition or pace?

Do you progressively build up the complexity and depth?

General to specific?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Assuming your questions don't constantly have generally obvious answers, then no, I don't think one could ask too many questions.

I tend to ask a lot of questions as well, and it can make some people feel cornered, like they're being drilled. Depends on the person. If they jump to the conclusion that you're asking questions to formulate a judgement about them, they're apt to get anxious and defensive, and not follow the conversation in the direction you'd hoped to aim toward. Or it may make some Feeling-Judging types overwhelmed.. I used to get like that, but it was mainly during debates regarding hard logic.. I needed some extra time to process, etc.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, AntisocialOne, I have thought of a question for every sentence and most of the words you wrote. From all of those questions, I have actually formed a conclusion.

Yes, someone can ask too many questions.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, man, like, I mean the question is, "how do you define too much" man... y'know?

phoenity

During a conversation, I ask more questions than I answer because my goal during a conversation is to understand what the other person is talking about. Personally, I think it's pointless to listen when my understanding is vague, so I ask questions for clarification. I would say it's probably common in Ti dominant types. It forces the other person to actually think rather than spew words.

I think there are some people who like it find it beneficial. For instance, someone who comes to me for advice will usually end up answering their own question as I dig into them trying to understand the problem. And if they don't find the answer they usually have a much better understanding of their problem.

I can't say I've ever come across a person who seemed to dislike it, because my questions are always objective.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
if someone spends too much of their time focusing on what they don't know, how can they utilize what they do?

Well in my case the things I have are not in the spot of attention I prefere to concentrate of unknown.

Are the questions fragmented, does the interviewee necessarily have a sense of the transition or pace?

Do you progressively build up the complexity and depth?

General to specific?

For first question I am not too sure that I know what you mean

Yes I build complexity all the time. Since my philosophy includes "Everything has a simple but wrong explanation.

My quetions are usually general unless the converstion is about specific topic.

Assuming your questions don't constantly have generally obvious answers, then no, I don't think one could ask too many questions.

I tend to ask a lot of questions as well, and it can make some people feel cornered, like they're being drilled. Depends on the person. If they jump to the conclusion that you're asking questions to formulate a judgement about them, they're apt to get anxious and defensive, and not follow the conversation in the direction you'd hoped to aim toward. Or it may make some Feeling-Judging types overwhelmed.. I used to get like that, but it was mainly during debates regarding hard logic.. I needed some extra time to process, etc.

In real life my question usually don't have too obvious answer. But here I ask questions that fall into this category..The thing/problem is that what people take as an answer is not enough for me to say "Case closed."

In some cases it happens that conversation with me looks like a Police investiagtion But I try to soften my approach if I see that other person is not taking it too well.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Actually, Anti, I don't think there is a limit. My curiousity is unlimited. But I seek a balance in asking for information and giving information.

I ask more qusetions then I give answers. But my answers are large and complex. It is not unusual that I ask a lot small question so that I can make some kind of a plan and then share a plan is my big answer.

earthangel

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I am thinking about opening this thread for a while.

My natural style of conversation comes down to questions and answers.
I usually start conversations with a question and it is normal to me that data I get is questioned further in my head and later they are returned to the owner in pieces. I can do that with personal convictions without too much problem. But I have learned that people in many cases don't like this.

Also I have a problem with receiving facts since I almost always want more and deeper information.

Any opinions or comments?
I am pretty sure that many NTs will see themselfs in this.

That is the bulk of my style of conversation with people. Question, answer, question, answer, explain yourself further, deeper, list reasons why, what does that mean, to you or just generally? how, when, where....

I actually think I scared off an ENTP guy with my doing that when I met him. I thought he'd be able to appreciate that weird habit, but instead my overanalyzing may have pushed him away because he just wanted to chill out and not be barraged with my questions and have to think of all the answers lol...

He thought I was a T, but I'm an F! lol :nerd:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
That is the bulk of my style of conversation with people. Question, answer, question, answer, explain yourself further, deeper, list reasons why, what does that mean, to you or just generally? how, when, where....

I actually think I scared off an ENTP guy with my doing that when I met him. I thought he'd be able to appreciate that weird habit, but instead my overanalyzing may have pushed him away because he just wanted to chill out and not be barraged with my questions and have to think of all the answers lol...

He thought I was a T, but I'm an F! lol :nerd:

That makes sense since introversion means that we are not socially too skilled and J means that we have intrests in controle and knowing what is ahead.

earthangel

MBTI Type
ISFJ
That makes sense since introversion means that we are not socially too skilled and J means that we have intrests in controle and knowing what is ahead.

Lol so my I and J makes me an accidental NT chameleon? I didn't mean to!!! :doh:

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
For first question I am not too sure that I know what you mean

Yes I build complexity all the time. Since my philosophy includes "Everything has a simple but wrong explanation.

My quetions are usually general unless the converstion is about specific topic.

In real life my question usually don't have too obvious answer. But here I ask questions that fall into this category..The thing/problem is that what people take as an answer is not enough for me to say "Case closed."

In some cases it happens that conversation with me looks like a Police investiagtion But I try to soften my approach if I see that other person is not taking it too well.

Sometimes people become a little unsettled and disoriented when they don't have insight into the intention of questions. They like to feel like the conversation is contributing or moving towards an issue or idea that is relevant to them. They might be a little reluctant to engage unless they themselves understand how their contributions will be used.

People sometimes just having glancing thoughts that they express without any real thought put on the relations and comparisons that could be made. They might only need to make a general relation based on standards which may not be universally accepted or understood. The best approach is to understand things on two levels, the possible reasons why they came to a conclusion on making said statement, and your analysis on said statement. It's a little like a give and take in terms of pace and direction. Sometimes you have to concede a little bit and allow them to direct without too much intervention. In some sense that is where their reluctance and the general tension may arise. That balance of control in the conversation.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Sometimes people become a little unsettled and disoriented when they don't have insight into the intention of questions. They like to feel like the conversation is contributing or moving towards an issue or idea that is relevant to them. They might be a little reluctant to engage unless they themselves understand how their contributions will be used.

People sometimes just having glancing thoughts that they express without any real thought put on the relations and comparisons that could be made. They might only need to make a general relation based on standards which may not be universally accepted or understood. The best approach is to understand things on two levels, the possible reasons why they came to a conclusion on making said statement, and your analysis on said statement. It's a little like a give and take in terms of pace and direction. Sometimes you have to concede a little bit and allow them to direct without too much intervention. In some sense that is where their reluctance and the general tension may arise. That balance of control in the conversation.

Thanks for clearling this up. It is just that I wasn't sure about full meanings of of some words.

People in real life almost always know why I ask question(s). Becasue of introversion I usually ask questions only if something needs to be ask.
But in that cases I can go a little bit too far since I want to make plans that will not have capital holes.