User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 51

  1. #1
    Senior Member alcea rosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,665

    Default Why is effectivity overrated?

    I just read an article about this woman who has achieved several academic degrees, is a professor in a university, has acieved a lot in the area of sports, has been a successfull in beauty contest(miss universe type of competition) and even has three kids. She is not too old either and is very good looking and in very good shape. She is also very efficient while taking the buss to the other town (200km's away) where she is working. She uses her work travel time working.

    Overall, this woman has all that the society appreciates. She is highly effective, beautiful, very intelligent, slim and in good shape + probably quite lot of money too. So, she is the dream come true of all that is appreciated in the society. I mean who wouldn't like to be her?

    But on the other hand, one wise INFP once asked me when I talked about highly effective people in very respectable manner:
    Are they happy?

    My additions to that question:
    Are we even contended with what we have?
    Can we appreciate life itself or are we too busy to appreciate anything?

    The final question is:
    Why is effectivity overrated?
    Or is it?

  2. #2
    I'm a star. Kangirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    Are they happy?
    That's all that matters.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

    "please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

  3. #3
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    The question ought to be what's the purpose of being efficient.

    Why are you saving time? What are you going to do with the extra?

    It's no different from making money. Making money is important... but only up to a point.

    Efficiency shouldn't be the end goal... Just like making money shouldn't be the end goal.

    Does this mean efficiency is overrated? I'd say, no... just misunderstood.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

  4. #4
    Senior Member alcea rosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    The question ought to be what's the purpose of being efficient.

    Why are you saving time? What are you going to do with the extra?

    It's no different from making money. Making money is important... but only up to a point.

    Efficiency shouldn't be the end goal... Just like making money shouldn't be the end goal.

    Does this mean efficiency is overrated? I'd say, no... just misunderstood.
    What should be the purpose of being efficient?
    Or do you mean that the goal shouldn't be being efficient?
    How is efficiency misunderstood?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    I underrate the effectivity you describe, in my life.

  6. #6
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    What should be the purpose of being efficient?
    Or do you mean that the goal shouldn't be being efficient?
    How is efficiency misunderstood?
    I meant what I said...

    Efficiency is a "goal" in improving a process BUT it's not the end onto itself.

    People lose sight of the purpose of being efficient... Is there any value in doing something perfectly and as quickly as possible beyond the obvious of it being perfect? What does a 100% on an exam mean? Not much by itself... That's what I meant by "end goal".

    In the end, all we need is "good enough" Actually that's what the actual definition of efficiency ought to be. Putting in just enough effort to be "good enough". Not this squeezing every last second of spare time and filling it with work.

    Go a good enough job to get by so you have time and resources for what you really want. That is the end goal.

    (I just realized Ni + Ne is awfully confusing... very little directional focus at all)
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    I just read an article about this woman who has achieved several academic degrees, is a professor in a university, has acieved a lot in the area of sports, has been a successfull in beauty contest(miss universe type of competition) and even has three kids. She is not too old either and is very good looking and in very good shape. She is also very efficient while taking the buss to the other town (200km's away) where she is working. She uses her work travel time working.

    Overall, this woman has all that the society appreciates. She is highly effective, beautiful, very intelligent, slim and in good shape + probably quite lot of money too. So, she is the dream come true of all that is appreciated in the society. I mean who wouldn't like to be her?

    But on the other hand, one wise INFP once asked me when I talked about highly effective people in very respectable manner:
    Are they happy?

    My additions to that question:
    Are we even contended with what we have?
    Can we appreciate life itself or are we too busy to appreciate anything?

    The final question is:
    Why is effectivity overrated?
    Or is it?
    She could be happy. Who knows.

    It's not overrated, if it helps one achieve goals or makes life easier.

  8. #8
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp
    Posts
    8,698

    Default

    I think that Nightning said it all.

    It is highly debatable what is efficient.

  9. #9
    Senior Member mlittrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    im happy in my extreme procrastination and lazyness

    and if she isn't happy then everything she does is just because she feels that society drives her to do that then to me she is worthless.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

    "You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

    "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

    Mahatma Gandhi

    Enneagram: 9w1

  10. #10
    Senior Member blanclait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Well, you know there are people who enjoy working hard.

    when one wins lottery one may think they will be free of all problem (let say identity is not broadcasted) and constantly be happy. But not long after, it goes down to just plain average state.

    materials doesn't have much to do with happiness as i see it. It's about attitude & personality.

Similar Threads

  1. Why is it wrong to oppress people?
    By Journey in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 04-14-2008, 01:29 PM
  2. Why is it so hard to not feed the trolls?
    By Zergling in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 05:23 AM
  3. Why is this so funny?
    By proteanmix in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 11:16 AM
  4. WHY can't I become someone else? Why is it not possible to really change?
    By mysavior in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 02:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO