• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is effectivity overrated?

elementaltale

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, I assumed you were talking about everyone who died, so it kinda includes fewer generations. Not many people died 5,000 years ago, afterall - bout 30,000 people in a generation IIRC.

I'll die, sure. I'm failing to see the relevance. My grandparents are dead, but I'm still here.

I have to add this...

Come back to me and say that in a hundred years.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
ElementalSoul... youre just like Marcia from the movie 'Sybil' - You have your point put across. This is a discussion forum, not a debate or argumentation forum. I sense a lot of agitation (Maybe resignation?) in your posts.

I believe every idea is subjective, but the facts are not. Every life is subjective, I think. I participate in theatre in my school. Why? Not because I think it doesn't matter, but because there are things I can be doing with the life I HAVE, Its life about doing? Especially doing things that YOU think MATTER

So in a sense life is about doing what you think matters... which is subjective. Objectivity, I think, is just a universal subjectivity: "Cant agrue with that logic" is a phrase that sort of explains my point (Though I'm awful at explaining them :D)

Edit: I guess s/he was trying to push a point and left.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I have to add this...

Come back to me and say that in a hundred years.

I guess that depends on medical technology, doesn't it? The point, however, is that I can certainly have my children do it.

Your belief in God does not change anything, FWIW. If life is worth living, then it is. Not for God, but for life in and of itself. You could just as easily join God now. It's not like your life has meaning outside of that, right?

I do not need some external force to make my life worthwhile, or give meaning to what I do. I do it because I live. And so do you, otherwise you wouldn't be alive. You just don't value this life enough to hold it dear on its own merits, so you create a reason. No matter how valid that reason is, I don't find it necessary. By extension, it is your lack of valuation of life that gives rise to the need for the external. Just as me being alive shows that no belief in God is necessary to stay alive, to see purpose in life and to embrace it.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Your belief in God does not change anything, FWIW. If life is worth living, then it is. Not for God, but for life in and of itself. You could just as easily join God now. It's not like your life has meaning outside of that, right?

I do not need some external force to make my life worthwhile, or give meaning to what I do. I do it because I live. And so do you, otherwise you wouldn't be alive. You just don't value this life enough to hold it dear on its own merits, so you create a reason. No matter how valid that reason is, I don't find necessary. By extension, it is your lack of valuation of life that gives rise to the need for the external.

:yes:

Exactly what I was trying to say.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
If you wish to end a life that is pointless then I would suggest shooting yourself now as it is currently pointless. There is no getting around this truth... (I don't want you to shoot yourself by the way, I am trying to prove a point)

You can say that you have a lot to live for now and that may be true right NOW. But what about tomorrow? What about six months from now? What about a year from now? That is not clear.

But What IS clear is at some point in time you like me and everyone else will die. THat is a fact that cannot be denied no matter how much you wish to. Sure you can push it off with doctors and medicines but death will catch up to you.

People do not like to think about their mortality but it is pointless not to think about it as it is there and is a reality we must all face.

Well I for one would rather look upon an alternitive even if the alternitive is a delusion for at least it gave me some comfort. After all, life is a delusion. As shakespeare once said all the world is a stage.

You of course are entitled to disagree with this view and it will matter not to me just as my view does not matter to you. I repsect your view and you are entitled to it. I however have done enough research to feel that my view is not a delusion so I am content with that.

Why would I kill myself ? Life is pointless what means that suicide is also pointless.

The reason why I think that there is no problem about real death is because I a was dead for the most of the time. Since the world is created until late 20. century I was dead and I can't say that it was a bad experiance.
I think that my second death period will be no different then first.
So, for me problem does not exist.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I think that my second death period will be no different then first.
So, for me problem does not exist.

I just dont want the second death period to be kicked off by something traumatic ;)

elementaltale

MBTI Type
INFP
:yes:

Exactly what I was trying to say.

And as I said before, if you can accept this knowing in time that everything you have worked for will end then more power to you. I however fail to see the meaning of building anything that I know will not last.

I mean, who is foolish enough to build a tower knowing that the winds will knock it down the next day? Or the day after that? Or the day after that?

I could go on about the Library of Alexandria, the World Trade Center, the Titanic. But I can see now any evidence that I present will fall of deaf ears or will be ignored so I will stop.

So have a nice life...while you have it.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I mean, who is foolish enough to build a tower knowing that the winds will knock it down the next day? Or the day after that? Or the day after that?

That's the point though... the majority of humans build things, knowing that they will eventually fall. Most people don't have a problem with this...

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9

Only what is present here and now matters. That is a S point of view, but it is real for the time being. Future is only a sequence of here and nows. The quantity of them is irrelevant. We live here and now, so having a tower here and now is the only thing that ultimately is meaningful, for now.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Effectivity is overrated because you're not an NTJ. The ones I know find great comfort in striving for maximum efficiency.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I just read an article about this woman who has achieved several academic degrees, is a professor in a university, has acieved a lot in the area of sports, has been a successfull in beauty contest(miss universe type of competition) and even has three kids. She is not too old either and is very good looking and in very good shape. She is also very efficient while taking the buss to the other town (200km's away) where she is working. She uses her work travel time working.

Overall, this woman has all that the society appreciates. She is highly effective, beautiful, very intelligent, slim and in good shape + probably quite lot of money too. So, she is the dream come true of all that is appreciated in the society. I mean who wouldn't like to be her?

But on the other hand, one wise INFP once asked me when I talked about highly effective people in very respectable manner:
Are they happy?

My additions to that question:
Are we even contended with what we have?
Can we appreciate life itself or are we too busy to appreciate anything?

The final question is:
Why is effectivity overrated?
Or is it?

Are they happy? It honestly depends on the person. Some people are very happy with achievements. Others are happy just having fun and doing what they like. Yet others are happy just grinding out their daily routine and not getting involved in too much.

In my personal opinion, I would say effectiveness is NOT overrated. By this I mean that achieving stuff, at least for me, makes me feel happy. There's a saying, nothing succeeds like success. For me, that's true. I get very motivated and energized if I succeed at something.