User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 51

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Well, I assumed you were talking about everyone who died, so it kinda includes fewer generations. Not many people died 5,000 years ago, afterall - bout 30,000 people in a generation IIRC.

    I'll die, sure. I'm failing to see the relevance. My grandparents are dead, but I'm still here.
    I have to add this...

    Come back to me and say that in a hundred years.

  2. #42
    Badoom~ Skyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    1,087

    Default

    ElementalSoul... youre just like Marcia from the movie 'Sybil' - You have your point put across. This is a discussion forum, not a debate or argumentation forum. I sense a lot of agitation (Maybe resignation?) in your posts.



    I believe every idea is subjective, but the facts are not. Every life is subjective, I think. I participate in theatre in my school. Why? Not because I think it doesn't matter, but because there are things I can be doing with the life I HAVE, Its life about doing? Especially doing things that YOU think MATTER

    So in a sense life is about doing what you think matters... which is subjective. Objectivity, I think, is just a universal subjectivity: "Cant agrue with that logic" is a phrase that sort of explains my point (Though I'm awful at explaining them )

    Edit: I guess s/he was trying to push a point and left.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

    This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

    Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

  3. #43
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elementaltale View Post
    I have to add this...

    Come back to me and say that in a hundred years.
    I guess that depends on medical technology, doesn't it? The point, however, is that I can certainly have my children do it.

    Your belief in God does not change anything, FWIW. If life is worth living, then it is. Not for God, but for life in and of itself. You could just as easily join God now. It's not like your life has meaning outside of that, right?

    I do not need some external force to make my life worthwhile, or give meaning to what I do. I do it because I live. And so do you, otherwise you wouldn't be alive. You just don't value this life enough to hold it dear on its own merits, so you create a reason. No matter how valid that reason is, I don't find it necessary. By extension, it is your lack of valuation of life that gives rise to the need for the external. Just as me being alive shows that no belief in God is necessary to stay alive, to see purpose in life and to embrace it.

  4. #44
    Badoom~ Skyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    1,087

    Default

    Your belief in God does not change anything, FWIW. If life is worth living, then it is. Not for God, but for life in and of itself. You could just as easily join God now. It's not like your life has meaning outside of that, right?

    I do not need some external force to make my life worthwhile, or give meaning to what I do. I do it because I live. And so do you, otherwise you wouldn't be alive. You just don't value this life enough to hold it dear on its own merits, so you create a reason. No matter how valid that reason is, I don't find necessary. By extension, it is your lack of valuation of life that gives rise to the need for the external.


    Exactly what I was trying to say.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

    This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

    Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

  5. #45
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elementaltale View Post
    If you wish to end a life that is pointless then I would suggest shooting yourself now as it is currently pointless. There is no getting around this truth... (I don't want you to shoot yourself by the way, I am trying to prove a point)

    You can say that you have a lot to live for now and that may be true right NOW. But what about tomorrow? What about six months from now? What about a year from now? That is not clear.

    But What IS clear is at some point in time you like me and everyone else will die. THat is a fact that cannot be denied no matter how much you wish to. Sure you can push it off with doctors and medicines but death will catch up to you.

    People do not like to think about their mortality but it is pointless not to think about it as it is there and is a reality we must all face.

    Well I for one would rather look upon an alternitive even if the alternitive is a delusion for at least it gave me some comfort. After all, life is a delusion. As shakespeare once said all the world is a stage.

    You of course are entitled to disagree with this view and it will matter not to me just as my view does not matter to you. I repsect your view and you are entitled to it. I however have done enough research to feel that my view is not a delusion so I am content with that.
    Why would I kill myself ? Life is pointless what means that suicide is also pointless.

    The reason why I think that there is no problem about real death is because I a was dead for the most of the time. Since the world is created until late 20. century I was dead and I can't say that it was a bad experiance.
    I think that my second death period will be no different then first.
    So, for me problem does not exist.

  6. #46
    Badoom~ Skyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    1,087

    Default

    I think that my second death period will be no different then first.
    So, for me problem does not exist.
    I just dont want the second death period to be kicked off by something traumatic
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

    This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

    Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post


    Exactly what I was trying to say.
    And as I said before, if you can accept this knowing in time that everything you have worked for will end then more power to you. I however fail to see the meaning of building anything that I know will not last.

    I mean, who is foolish enough to build a tower knowing that the winds will knock it down the next day? Or the day after that? Or the day after that?

    I could go on about the Library of Alexandria, the World Trade Center, the Titanic. But I can see now any evidence that I present will fall of deaf ears or will be ignored so I will stop.

    So have a nice life...while you have it.

  8. #48
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elementaltale View Post
    I mean, who is foolish enough to build a tower knowing that the winds will knock it down the next day? Or the day after that? Or the day after that?
    That's the point though... the majority of humans build things, knowing that they will eventually fall. Most people don't have a problem with this...

  9. #49
    Senior Member Habba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elementaltale View Post
    I mean, who is foolish enough to build a tower knowing that the winds will knock it down the next day? Or the day after that? Or the day after that?
    Only what is present here and now matters. That is a S point of view, but it is real for the time being. Future is only a sequence of here and nows. The quantity of them is irrelevant. We live here and now, so having a tower here and now is the only thing that ultimately is meaningful, for now.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

  10. #50
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Effectivity is overrated because you're not an NTJ. The ones I know find great comfort in striving for maximum efficiency.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Similar Threads

  1. Why is it wrong to oppress people?
    By Journey in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 04-14-2008, 01:29 PM
  2. Why is it so hard to not feed the trolls?
    By Zergling in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 05:23 AM
  3. Why is this so funny?
    By proteanmix in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 11:16 AM
  4. WHY can't I become someone else? Why is it not possible to really change?
    By mysavior in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 02:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO