User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    if she isn't happy then everything she does is just because she feels that society drives her to do that then to me she is worthless.
    This is why it might be overrated. Effectivity is useful for society, so people are taught to be effective. What is not taught is the "why". What motivates you to be effective? If it is just that you need to appear like you have it under control and you are a respected member of society, then it seems like waste of time. If all I do for whole my life is to try to fit in, when will I have the time to enjoy my life?

On the other hand... I am quite effective in doing as I please... this isn't what other people mean with the word.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

It depends what you are being effective with. If my laundry isn't done but I have read books to my children for an hour what am I being effective about? The reason superficial things are considered a benchmark is because they are easy to tally. If you can see it it's more important, right?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Because when you're effective, you're providing for the needs of other people (usually). This is the only reason why society likes it, and rewards it with money (usually). I personally think that it's very hard to be effective and be unhappy for a large period of time. You can work your ass off at something you dislike for a while, but on the long run happiness and health are a prerequisite to what is usually considered as "success".

Personally, I like working and doing stuff. I can do a lot more stuff when I'm happy, this is for sure - and if I do too much stuff and have no free time, I become unhappy, thus I can do less stuff, thus I end up having more free time, become more happy, and the cycle starts back.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    yupp

nah i think if it makes person happy no. but the rest of us our just too lazy to care so please don't remind us how wonderful you are and how much you've accomplished. I mean I don't care that you've done all these things you don't need to brag about it.if it makes you miserable like someone else said then maybe for you it is. It all has to do with the person and not the people.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    nah i think if it makes person happy no. but the rest of us our just too lazy to care so please don't remind us how wonderful you are and how much you've accomplished. I mean I don't care that you've done all these things you don't need to brag about it.if it makes you miserable like someone else said then maybe for you it is. It all has to do with the person and not the people.
    Sounds like this is a raw nerve for you. You can't say you don't care but then get upset about it. Being proud of your accomplishments isn't a bad thing. Some people need and want to feel good about the things they have done.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    Sounds like this is a raw nerve for you. You can't say you don't care but then get upset about it. Being proud of your accomplishments isn't a bad thing. Some people need and want to feel good about the things they have done.
    no that's not what i meant :steam: now you have hit a raw nerve. I'm not getting upset about it, I'm saying if it makes the person happy great if not then why bother? :steam::steam::steam::steam::steam::steam::steam:: steam:

what i'm trying to say is if you accomplish something great if you're happy about it. but if you're more miserable then before then that's regretable.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    no that's not what i meant :steam: now you have hit a raw nerve. I'm not getting upset about it, I'm saying if it makes the person happy great if not then why bother? :steam::steam::steam::steam::steam::steam::steam:: steam:

what i'm trying to say is if you accomplish something great if you're happy about it. but if you're more miserable then before then that's regretable.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Like other people said it's are you being efficient for it's own sake.
    Before climbing up the ladder of success make sure you've got the right wall.
    Efficiency and productivity matter but they're not the be all and end all.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    it's cool no problem.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    istp

you should not assume that just because you would be unhappy in such a person's shoes that they too are unhappy with the efforts they've taken in life.

in fact, i would argue that those who are "in touch" with what they consider to be their own normalcy know no better how to be happy than the most iconic among us, except that at least the latter makes an effort to be active and make positive contributions to themselves and their world.

i think the attitude that it's more important to be "real" than to succeed in the eyes of others is often abused as a rationalization not to make an effort to actualize our own [unique] potential. simply because someone doesnt have "popular" ambitions doesnt mean that they dont have their own brand of success to strive towards.