User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 185

  1. #81
    Senior Member MrME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    Finally, someone looks at a post like this in the right way.
    The right way? Do think that you're an arbiter on what is right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    I love how people make threads like this, and then people attack the person or get offended. I admit, I started processing what he said, but I left it in my head and then changed my thoughts. I have no use in belittling him in the thread.
    But you have use in belittling people's reactions to it?
    INFJ
    4w5

  2. #82
    Senior Member Tiny Army's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    EN?P
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    679

    Default

    Man, why you J types gotta say shit like this?

  3. #83
    Senior Member MrME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Army View Post
    Man, why you J types gotta say shit like this?
    Say what?
    INFJ
    4w5

  4. #84
    Let's make this showy! raz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    LoLz
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrME View Post
    The right way? Do think that you're an arbiter on what is right and wrong?



    But you have use in belittling people's reactions to it?
    People take the wrong things personally.


  5. #85
    Senior Member MrME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    People take the wrong things personally.
    I apologize for overreacting and turning hot-headed, raz.

    The site stirred up a lot of anger, because I instantly recognized it as something I would've fallen for when I was running on shadow power. When I see obviously unscrupulous people trying to make a living by fucking over people in distress, it sends me off into a rage.

    People suggesting that nobody would fall for it, however -- that's naive.
    INFJ
    4w5

  6. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrME View Post
    No, I'm angry that somebody is obviously preying on the personal problems of the introvert to make a quick buck.
    You consider trying to make your life better a personal problem? Like I said, you have to start somewhere, even if that means buying a $29 e-book that you don't gain much value from. It's still better than doing nothing at all. It's still better than living in denial and pretending like you're happy when you're not. And who knows, maybe the book is actually worth something. The author may actually be making a positive difference in the lives of his readers. It is possible, right? He can't make a book that offends nobody and appeals to and teaches everybody. I wonder if there's any way we could look up real reviews from online somewhere. For all we know, the first thing he says is to love yourselves for who you are and that he was only being a hardass so he could reach the people he knew needed it the most.


    Quote Originally Posted by MrME View Post
    I apologize for overreacting and turning hot-headed, raz.

    The site stirred up a lot of anger, because I instantly recognized it as something I would've fallen for when I was running on shadow power. When I see obviously unscrupulous people trying to make a living by fucking over people in distress, it sends me off into a rage.

    People suggesting that nobody would fall for it, however -- that's naive.
    This I understand. I feel for you. But I was just kind of pointing out that not everybody is going to perceive the website the same way. (Like me.) Not everybody is you ten years ago. Some introverts may recognize it for what it is and actually get value from it.

    And I put the word "fall" in quotes for a reason.

    Anyway, I was just adding a perspective that wasn't already being shared in the thread. I'm not trying to offend or persuade anyone. May we all make our lives great regardless of how we do it.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  7. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    837

    Default

    Have you read the book "The popular life?"? - Yahoo! Answers

    I read the book and found it to be quite interesting and helpful. I say this because unlike most other self help-type books, this one actually aims at changing the reader's perspective of other people, as opposed to simply changing the behavior of the reader.

    There are lots of good practical tips and examples of how to improve a person's social skills, but again, the thing that I found interesting about it was that it teaches a person how to look at the world in a different way, which I found somewhat refreshing. The book also largely focuses on the personality of the reader and aims to change the person's personality (perhaps completely). Yes, somewhat of an over ambitious goal, but this the overall theme.

    The book follows a format of relatively short, to the point chapters. There isn't much fluff and the author is quite direct (which is what he promises on his sales page). He gives the opinion that this isn't a book for entertainment, but a manual for social success. I see his point, but for people who love to read sometimes it's nice to have something a little longer.

    I would caution that like any self help book, there is certainly an element of application here (ie. you have to actually go out and follow the suggestions for them to work), but any person purchasing a self help book ought to realize this anyway.

    The cons of the book would be the somewhat over the top and borderline offensive tone that is found throughout it in different parts. I also found the author would sometimes go out of his way to give opinions on things that I felt were unnecessary (though this is a matter of opinion). He takes a very "this is my opinion and if you disagree you are wrong" type attitude throughout the entire book, which for critical thinkers is a bit of a hardline approach.

    Overall, I liked the book and found it helped me quite a bit in my social life and in dealing with other people. It's not written the way I would have written it, but then again this author has a very particular method and style, which, while somewhat offensive, is also somewhat enlightening and refreshing.
    That's a pretty cool review from a person who sounds open-minded and rational. (The only review I found.) They were able to clearly say what they liked and disliked about it. They definitely don't sound fooled or inauthentic. Meaning, they do not see this guy as a god and they do not do everything precisely as he says. They are not fake. But they did like the book and benefited from it in a few ways - because they read it and thought about it, not because they were some moron without integrity who believes everything they read.

    $29 usually won't change your life like magic, but it can teach you a thing or two and help you look at things differently. It can be a catalyst for positive change. I'd love to read this book. It sounds very interesting! I don't think I "need" it, but it sure would be fun to examine. I know, I know, I'm an ENTP. I'm fake, and stupid, and I just don't understand anything. Don't bother arguing with me on anything I've said in this thread because I'm too busy tricking people into liking me. (How am I doing?)
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  8. #88
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    That's it! I'm moving to Oz. Who's coming with me?
    To hell with that.

    Oz sounds like a land of losers that we can easily conquer and exploit! Let's go there, pwn them, take everything of value, and then leave.

  9. #89
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrME View Post
    Don't believe me? The Intertoobs say so:

    Defeat Introversion

    This author is about as ESTP as it gets.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  10. #90
    The elder Holmes Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    "Living in a fantasy land" really has more to do with N than anything else. That fact that this is coming from someone who is dominant Ni makes it ironic.
    True.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Similar Threads

  1. For introverts: What kind of introvert are you?
    By Olm the Water King in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 08-23-2015, 02:13 AM
  2. What kind of introvert are you?
    By Seymour in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-07-2015, 10:27 PM
  3. Introverts: Are you energized by other Introverts?
    By BlackCat in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 03:35 PM
  4. Introverts, Are New People Overstimulating?
    By FFF in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-08-2008, 03:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO