User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Horoscopes as a set of archetypes

Horoscopes themselves are obviously not always valid, yet they still fascinate us. I believe it's partially because they represent a set of archetypes that we use to identify ourselves and others. Consider:

Aries probably seems to represent the typical rash teenager, or old-western cowboy.

Taurus might be the typical businessman or member of the noblity.

Gemini could be the diplomat, lawyer, or socialite.

Cancer seems like a reclusive artist, or a very sensitive person with a lot of unexpressed dreams.

Leo could be a knight, or the visionary and exacting leader.

Virgo could be the dedicated, practical mother.

Libra might be an arbitrator or a philosopher.

Scorpio might be any fierce competitor.

Sagittarius could be an activist, possibly a hippie.

Capricorn might be the self-made wealthy individual.

Aquarius could be a scientist or researcher.

Pisces could be a typical melancholy dreamer.

So, the point is, I think people were partially attracted to these ideas as ways of creating archetypes by which to compare people. Perhaps it's even similar to what causes people to study psychology today. One thing I think we can gather from horoscopes, however, is a more holistic set of archetypes that explain how our minds natually categorize and set expectations for people. Does this make any sense?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Sagittarius could be an activist, possibly a hippie...
    :yim_phbbbbt: I am NOT a hippie.

So, the point is, I think people were partially attracted to these ideas as ways of creating archetypes by which to compare people. Perhaps it's even similar to what causes people to study psychology today. One thing I think we can gather from horoscopes, however, is a more holistic set of archetypes that explain how our minds naturally categorize and set expectations for people. Does this make any sense?
    Oh, well, it's possible. Astrology was tied into Greek and roman myth, obviously, to start with, which is full of archetypes. And the Greeks produced the "humor" system of personality -- basically a more generalized archetype system. And if you look at modern-day Enneagram theory, that's basically a nine-archetype system rather than a system with personas derived from a combination of foundational functions.

(I.e., in MBTI, the functions are the foundation. In Enneagram, the nine archetypes are the foundations... which is why they are considered archetypical.)

So when did the subject of astrology as we basically know it today arise? What society produced it? If your idea is right, couldn't we trace the twelve assigned archetypes to the typical social structures/expectations of the time, to some degree?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    :yim_phbbbbt: I am NOT a hippie.
    I meant that that was one of the personalities you could infer from the description of Sagittarius, and not that the system used to assign them was valid. For goodness sake, remember that I'm an Aries.

Oh, well, it's possible. Astrology was tied into Greek and roman myth, obviously, to start with, which is full of archetypes. And the Greeks produced the "humor" system of personality -- basically a more generalized archetype system. And if you look at modern-day Enneagram theory, that's basically a nine-archetype system rather than a system with personas derived from a combination of foundational functions.
    Yes. I was just wondering what sort of inferences and observations we could make based on this particular set of archetypes, and how they are different/similar to several archetypes we have today.

So when did the subject of astrology as we basically know it today arise? What society produced it? If your idea is right, couldn't we trace the twelve assigned archetypes to the typical social structures/expectations of the time, to some degree?
    Yes, we could. The fact that so many of these archetypes can be applied or seen in modern culture implies that despite centuries of changes, the influence of Greco-Roman social systems still permeates our culture. It could even show that the human mind has several unconscious archetypes. If we wish to see which, however, perhaps I should look at the Chinese zodiac as well?

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Sagittarius could be an activist, possibly a hippie...
    Although I'm a Scorpio, this seems more like me!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Cancer seems like a reclusive artist, or a very sensitive person with a lot of unexpressed dreams.
    Hehe. Sensitive you say, dear?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i like this idea of seeing the zodiac signs as archetypes!
    to me the MBTI types seem somewhat like archetypes as well, and i think that people generally respond very well and are attracted to archetypes. and it seems like people are attracted to the archetypal nature of the zodiac, doesn't it? it is more the idea of planetary influences that turn some people off of the zodiac. so i guess that in modern times many people like when archetypes can stand on their own? when they are forces of nature, rather than characters defined by their enviroment. such as with the MBTI and enneagram, where the types are not nessecarily detemined by outside forces and stimulus (planets, etc.).

So, the point is, I think people were partially attracted to these ideas as ways of creating archetypes by which to compare people. Perhaps it's even similar to what causes people to study psychology today. One thing I think we can gather from horoscopes, however, is a more holistic set of archetypes that explain how our minds natually categorize and set expectations for people. Does this make any sense?
    it seems like the archetypes of the zodiac are easier to see in other people. whereas the MBTI is more about internal processes, and is not as apparent in the external behaviors of people. is this what you mean?

MBTI
    TiSe

Liz Greene is a Jungian Psychologist with a astrological website (astro.com). She equates the four elements with the four cognitive functions (Air/Thinking, Earth/Sensing, Water/Feeling and Fire/Intuition. That makes sense to me.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i did not know that astro.com was run by a jungian psychologist? it has always seemed like a very good astrology website to me. i am naturally skeptical of astrology, and that website managed to win me over somewhat, haha!

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Liz Greene is a Jungian Psychologist with a astrological website (astro.com). She equates the four elements with the four cognitive functions (Air/Thinking, Earth/Sensing, Water/Feeling and Fire/Intuition. That makes sense to me.
    Intuition =fire, and Thinking=air....Hmm, I'm connecting dots here.

I'm ducking for cover now
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    If Intuition is Fire, then my Aries sun sign actually makes sense, especially if one considers that my Libra moon sign conflicts with it.