User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Default Why are introverts...

...so underrepresented in popular media? I have my own (half-baked) ideas, but I'm curious to see what others think.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INTP

Because the popular media appeals to popular tastes and extroverts are popular.

Also - extroverts simply present themselves better.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

How do you know that they are? Some Introverts can behave in a more Extraverted manner.

Also, popular media may be more commonly used by them, because Introverts usually seek stimulation elsewhere.

MBTI
    INFP

I'm not sure that they are underrepresented. If you take into consideration that introverts are a vast minority. (only 20 to 25% of the US population).

If so, I'd agree with Ferrus.

But also, what are you including in "popular media"?

Because there are a whole lot of novelists that are introverts.

And I would add, that in movies, I have seen the introverted character take on a much more positive and valued role. In movies past, the introvert was rather put down and looked down upon. Not so, anymore. That tells me that introverts have gotten some kind of influence in the movie industry. It's beginning to be seen and shown as a positive thing in movies.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Alesia View Post
    Because there are a whole lot of novelists that are introverts.
    Because novels are a media which require far less extroverted attitude, indeed reading is a rather introverted activity in itself. There are a fair few extroverted print journalists too.
    Not so, anymore.
    There are a wide enough selection of films now to cater for many tastes, but in an average SJ/SP imbecile flick the introvert will always be the weird or evil one.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I always thought the media portrayed the Intuitive as the evil megalomaniac or eccentric crackpot while the hero was an SP or SJ upholding the law. This is especially true of movies in the '70s and '80s. In many of the '80s cop movies, it was often an SJ playing the hero and an SP or NT playing the bad guy. The NF was probably the hero woman.

In a traditional action movie, it's usually an SP trying to foil the NT's evil plans -- a la James Bond -- although the SP hero character is portrayed as the more one-dimensional of the two. In recent times, though, there's a trend of an NF hero pitted against an NT villain, like Spider-Man. And in Tim Burton's and Christopher Nolan's Batman movies, it's an NT against an NT (although Batman is somewhat of a psychopath himself).

But I think the Intuitive will be portrayed as the loony, misunderstood, or stupid character, where the Sensor will be portrayed as the one everybody likes. Extraversion and Introversion do not necessarily have different ways of thinking, and it's often hard to tell who's Extraverted or Introverted. But Sensors and Intuitives do have different ways of thinking -- and since society has a natural bias toward Sensors,

Introverts may not necessarily think of themselves as outsiders and may not even have trouble fitting in with other people, especially when a Sensing preference reinforces it. Intuitives, on the other hand, are lost at sea, since their interests and ways of thinking tend to be more esoteric or less common than the norms. Intuitives, being in worlds of their own most of the time, are less aware of what's appropriate in the here-and-now. And so they're looked down upon much of the time.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I thought the E/I divide was 50/50...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

Pop media often shows the ideal: young, healthy, good-looking, financially secure. They probably see the outgoing extrovert as part of that ideal. I've heard and read many introverts saying they would like to be more extraverted. I can't say I've ever seen the reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    IIRC, Keirsey estimated the splits at around 50/50 for N/F and J/P and 75/25 for E/I and S/N.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Seems that way to me.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ENTP

Sitcom scenario: the three extroverts are chatting away in the living room about their day. The camera cuts briefly to the introverted friend reading quietly in his room but quickly returns to the extroverts' bantering before the audience gets bored.

Most popular media is driven by character interactions - kinda tough for introverts to drive the plot in that case. Example two - the group of friends has just received some bad news. The extroverts display their shock & dismay while the introvert stands there stonefaced, waiting until later to process his take on the situation. Just doesn't make for good entertainment!