User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I'm a little unclear about your definition of 'shadow function'. It's my understanding that our opposite is the shadow function that comes out in stress.

So for me, ENFP, my shadow is ISTJ.

If INFP, it's ESTJ.

Etc.

Shadow functions are not necessarily unhealthy (ESTJ/ISTJ is great for getting things done when you are overwhelmed a work, for instance) though in a very stressed individual, *unhealthy* versions of our opposite type may come out.

Or do you mean 'shadow type' as in traits we all have that we try not to excercise. Something that gets 'pushed' back.
    I believe that the way it is *meant* to work is that when moderately stressed we become more extreme versions of our core personality. Only in extreme stress/depression/unhappiness will we totally flip over into the shadow.

So, if you stress an INTP, they become more introverted, logical, spacey. Until a point, when they outburst emotionally, and lose sight of the big picture.

I've seen this with INTPs, for sure.

MBTI
    yupp

I think my shadow is beginning to come out. I really do and it's scary. sc-ary.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I believe that the way it is *meant* to work is that when moderately stressed we become more extreme versions of our core personality. Only in extreme stress/depression/unhappiness will we totally flip over into the shadow.

So, if you stress an INTP, they become more introverted, logical, spacey. Until a point, when they outburst emotionally, and lose sight of the big picture.

I've seen this with INTPs, for sure.
    I've done this, for sure. It does have to be extreme, and usually long-term, stress, though, so that I don't know which end is up. I don't know if it's just a subsconscious reaction of "well, everything I usually do/try doesn't seem to be working AT ALL," so let's just do the opposite."
    Something Witty

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I don't know if it's just a subsconscious reaction of "well, everything I usually do/try doesn't seem to be working AT ALL," so let's just do the opposite."
    That's my best guess.

We tend to push our strengths to a greater degree when under some stress.. but when that doesn't cut it, we have to engage traits within ourselves that aren't well-exercised because we feel that we have to try a new approach.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I'm a little unclear about your definition of 'shadow function'. It's my understanding that our opposite is the shadow function that comes out in stress.

If INFP, it's ESTJ.

Etc.

Shadow functions are not necessarily unhealthy (ESTJ/ISTJ is great for getting things done when you are overwhelmed a work, for instance) though in a very stressed individual, *unhealthy* versions of our opposite type may come out.

Or do you mean 'shadow type' as in traits we all have that we try not to excercise. Something that gets 'pushed' back.
    Actually, your shadow functions come not from your complete opposite - you have all of their functions in your top 4 anyway. You are a mirror of your opposite, but not a shadow. Your shadow comes from the person with whom you share 2 letters in the middle but have the opposite letters on the end:

For INFPs for instance, the shadow comes from ENFJs, who have every function we do, in the same order, but in a different realm (our contrast).

Where INFPs have, ENFJs have:
    Primary: Introverted Feeling, Extroverted Feeling
    Secondary: Extraverted Intuition, Introverted Intuition
    Tertiary: Introverted Sensing, Extraverted Sensing
    Asp.: Extraverted Thinking, Introverted Thinking

I don't think it's too far-fetched at all to call into existence the shadow functions in a particular type - Jung himself was the person to postulate that the shadow existed, along with the persona. If you look at it that way, the primary type we identify as is our persona - the mask we use to deal with the world. Our contrast contains the attributes that we don't consciously recognize - they choose to be extraverted where we were introverted and vice versa. But either way you look at it, a person has all eight functions and uses them - it's just the way in which they are used that determine where the persona and shadow fall.

The shadow is the reason (imo) why people with Extraverted Feeling can be called "fake" by Introverted Feelers, for instance. We subconsciously recognize that our usage of Fe is usually when we're trying to manipulate people into doing what we want, and we assume that's how others use it as well. We demonize that which we ourselves cannot assume the role of consciously - it's another coping mechanism.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

MBTI
    INTP

I've suspected for sometime I have an ENTJ shadow. I need to make an apology. I'm reading far too much into things.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Shadows do not exist ! They are just a spot, light cant travel to because something is in the way . I hereby neglect the existence of all Fi and want to subliminally state through the use of Si that I did not eat all the cookies out of the cookie jar !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

heart on fire

If INFP, it's ESTJ.

Etc.

But it gets confusing because for an INFP (as example) ISTP has all the functions reveresed.

INFP = Fi, Ne, Si, Te
    ISTP= Ti, Se, Ni, Fe

Can't shine a light without casting what's holding up the light in shadow. Could be more truth in shadow and dark matter than in light.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    I agree that shadow functions try to explain too much, but it seems the discussion here is just about shadow personalities in general.. not necessarily relating them to MBTI.

I think I'm actually tending to live in my shadow at the moment, as if I'm facing my midlife crisis much too early. I'm striving for balance in my life and my personality, attempting to come to terms with my relative weaknesses as a person. I might also be too young to handle what I'm getting myself into, but I can't help but try to get a grip on it.

"Strewn with the obstaces of fear, social disapproval, feelings of worthlessness and failure," indeed.
    aww...that didn't sound like any fun at all. hope things get sorted out soon.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP

*Swats Entropie with a newspaper*

Thanks for the clarification. My knowledge of "shadow" is , er, shadowy. I think I may have a misunderstanding of it and should probably spend a little time tonight brushing up. I think of it as my dark side.

I hope more folks come forth to let their lights shine on the subject.

If not I'll have to resort to (was it Viv's suggestion?) posting something about sex with a goat to keep things up and running here. Heh.

I am certain that mine involves a Jay, cuz when it comes to my pet subject, health, I hear my scolding mother come jumping into the room to give a lecture to all the naughty little girls and boys who aren't brushing their teeth or sumpin.

What about calling out when you see the shadow rear it's ugly, um, shadow? If I am emotionally engaged with someone I'm usually tempted to do it given that sometimes it might be a piece the other hasn't learned to recognize. This is treading on dangerous ground, for sure. Apt to get bit!

My understanding is that with self-awareness and help from others with our blind spots we recognize and fine-tune our shadows to integrate them into our daily lives so that we have more than one coping style.

I would guess that's a life-time process.

Okay. A question? Is the shadow considered "bad?" Or only when unrecognized? Can't be, I think. Must be neutral but misused?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer