User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Default Attention whores!

At ease soldiers!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Okay. Now what?
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

What's your Philosophy on attention whoring?
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Moved from Philosophy. Sounds more like a General Psychology issue, though admittedly, there's overlap.

Are you asking what motivates someone to attention-whore? Or why and how people react to them? Or just anything related to the subject?

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Guilty as charged.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Moved from Philosophy. Sounds more like a General Psychology issue, though admittedly, there's overlap.

Are you asking what motivates someone to attention-whore? Or why and how people react to them? Or just anything related to the subject?
    Thank you for moving this I realized I placed it wrong and I meant to post it here!

Basically, I have noticed a lot of whoring here, although it appears to look like I'm whoring as well, due to the topic and what not...

What is the essence of an attention whore, more or less... What is really the purpose(i hope i dont get banned for this)?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Demigod View Post
    Thank you for moving this I realized I placed it wrong and I meant to post it here!

Basically, I have noticed a lot of whoring here, although it appears to look like I'm whoring as well, due to the topic and what not...

What is the essence of an attention whore, more or less... What is really the purpose(i hope i dont get banned for this)?
    You're welcome.

What is attention whoring? Attention whoring, I'd say, is about doing things where the primary objective (or maybe sole objective) is to draw attention to yourself. Making a thread serves practical purposes of information gathering and intellectual investigation. So, even though you might get attention as a byproduct of making a thread, I certainly wouldn't consider it attention whoring. The closest thing to attention whoring on this site is probably making a silly nonsense thread, like a thread where the OP just says "I see you!" or something like that. I wouldn't even call that attention whoring, though, because it comes out of playfulness, not neediness. The precise emotion that motivates the post is the key.

Why do people attention-whore? Ask Jeffster! (Kidding.) The head teacher of the school of zen I used to study said that people have 5 needs, one of which is fame. I imagine attention whores have this need more than the norm. Erick Berne, the inventor of Transactional Analysis (therapeutic model) believes that people play games in order to get "strokes." A stroke is some form of recognition, and it's a need that carries over from childhood. It replaces the need for physical affection from one's mother/parent. Instead of collecting physical strokes, people collect psychological strokes, and have ingenious ways of doing so. Making a thread that purports to discuss something interesting while really serving as a vehicle to collect recognition (attention whoring) is one type of game.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Hmmm... So, we're all whores because of our mothers?... A Freudian analysis?

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Hmm, in forum debates, I wonder how far attention whoring could be considered to be synonymous with trolling? They don't seem very far apart, the essential difference perhaps being that trolling may sometimes be carried out more for a person to amuse themselves at the expense of others, with the attention garnered in the process being mainly a byproduct. I do think trolling that has no objective other than to get attention is pretty common too though...
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Demigod View Post
    Hmmm... So, we're all whores because of our mothers?... A Freudian analysis?
    I wouldn't quite put it that way. We whore because we have certain biological needs that are soothed when we're acknowledged.