• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Attention whores!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
You're welcome.

What is attention whoring? Attention whoring, I'd say, is about doing things where the primary objective (or maybe sole objective) is to draw attention to yourself. Making a thread serves practical purposes of information gathering and intellectual investigation. So, even though you might get attention as a byproduct of making a thread, I certainly wouldn't consider it attention whoring. The closest thing to attention whoring on this site is probably making a silly nonsense thread, like a thread where the OP just says "I see you!" or something like that. I wouldn't even call that attention whoring, though, because it comes out of playfulness, not neediness. The precise emotion that motivates the post is the key.

Why do people attention-whore? Ask Jeffster! (Kidding.) The head teacher of the school of zen I used to study said that people have 5 needs, one of which is fame. I imagine attention whores have this need more than the norm. Erick Berne, the inventor of Transactional Analysis (therapeutic model) believes that people play games in order to get "strokes." A stroke is some form of recognition, and it's a need that carries over from childhood. It replaces the need for physical affection from one's mother/parent. Instead of collecting physical strokes, people collect psychological strokes, and have ingenious ways of doing so. Making a thread that purports to discuss something interesting while really serving as a vehicle to collect recognition (attention whoring) is one type of game.
I used to do that a lot more than I do now.
I think I still do it occasionally.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I like to say when looking for liabilities look close to home first. At this rate I can see how someone could be forced into attention whoring. I'm stunned at what I saw recently. I can't imagine what is going through some people heads.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
No no, I didn't make a mistake, imo. It is my belief - it may be far out, but it's my belief and I'm sticking to it, that the division between biological and psychological is just an illusion. I was making an ideological contention to this effect.

Fixed. Again ;)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not an attention whore! I'm an attention SLUT!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*looks prim*

Now you use proper grammar and spelling there young lady or nobody's going to take you serious!

:nono: