• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Attention whores!

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay. Now what?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Moved from Philosophy. Sounds more like a General Psychology issue, though admittedly, there's overlap.

Are you asking what motivates someone to attention-whore? Or why and how people react to them? Or just anything related to the subject?

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Moved from Philosophy. Sounds more like a General Psychology issue, though admittedly, there's overlap.

Are you asking what motivates someone to attention-whore? Or why and how people react to them? Or just anything related to the subject?

Thank you for moving this I realized I placed it wrong and I meant to post it here!

Basically, I have noticed a lot of whoring here, although it appears to look like I'm whoring as well, due to the topic and what not...:shock:

What is the essence of an attention whore, more or less... What is really the purpose(i hope i dont get banned for this)?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Thank you for moving this I realized I placed it wrong and I meant to post it here!

Basically, I have noticed a lot of whoring here, although it appears to look like I'm whoring as well, due to the topic and what not...:shock:

What is the essence of an attention whore, more or less... What is really the purpose(i hope i dont get banned for this)?

You're welcome.

What is attention whoring? Attention whoring, I'd say, is about doing things where the primary objective (or maybe sole objective) is to draw attention to yourself. Making a thread serves practical purposes of information gathering and intellectual investigation. So, even though you might get attention as a byproduct of making a thread, I certainly wouldn't consider it attention whoring. The closest thing to attention whoring on this site is probably making a silly nonsense thread, like a thread where the OP just says "I see you!" or something like that. I wouldn't even call that attention whoring, though, because it comes out of playfulness, not neediness. The precise emotion that motivates the post is the key.

Why do people attention-whore? Ask Jeffster! (Kidding.) The head teacher of the school of zen I used to study said that people have 5 needs, one of which is fame. I imagine attention whores have this need more than the norm. Erick Berne, the inventor of Transactional Analysis (therapeutic model) believes that people play games in order to get "strokes." A stroke is some form of recognition, and it's a need that carries over from childhood. It replaces the need for physical affection from one's mother/parent. Instead of collecting physical strokes, people collect psychological strokes, and have ingenious ways of doing so. Making a thread that purports to discuss something interesting while really serving as a vehicle to collect recognition (attention whoring) is one type of game.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Hmmm... So, we're all whores because of our mothers?... A Freudian analysis?

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Hmm, in forum debates, I wonder how far attention whoring could be considered to be synonymous with trolling? They don't seem very far apart, the essential difference perhaps being that trolling may sometimes be carried out more for a person to amuse themselves at the expense of others, with the attention garnered in the process being mainly a byproduct. I do think trolling that has no objective other than to get attention is pretty common too though...

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hmmm... So, we're all whores because of our mothers?... A Freudian analysis?

I wouldn't quite put it that way. We whore because we have certain biological needs that are soothed when we're acknowledged.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Hmm, in forum debates, I wonder how far attention whoring could be considered to be synonymous with trolling? They don't seem very far apart, the essential difference perhaps being that trolling may sometimes be carried out more for a person to amuse themselves at the expense of others, with the attention garnered in the process being mainly a byproduct. I do think trolling that has no objective other than to get attention is pretty common too though...

I guess I have the advantage then!

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Attention craving and attention whoring are different concepts. The latter is compulsive while the former is not.

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
According to Freud, I guess my parents were too nice and attentive- - I love gum...

T

ThatGirl

HI GUYS! Can I come post in your thread!

How would you tell the difference between attention whoring and being the type of person that not consciously just always draws attention?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Attention craving and attention whoring are different concepts. The latter is compulsive while the former is not.

Hmmm..interesting. By that definition, I would be an attention craver, rather than an attention whore. But why would one whore for attention if it is not compulsive? Some sort of gained status or profit?

SEX

Did you guys read my post?

I KNOW I DID. :wubbie:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
But why would one whore for attention if it is not compulsive?

One wouldn't. If you took a picture once in your life that doesn't make you a photographer. If it's not compulsive it's not called whoring. :tongue: That' my point.

To answer the question "why would one crave for attention and not whore for attention" : well you can crave for something a few times in your life (like eating sushi) and not obsess over it. Whoring for sushi means you'd be around japanese restaurants 24/7. :tongue: