• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Differences in private vs public discourse? <split>

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I had a couple of PMs with Nihilen & after he explained his point came across as a thoughtful fellow. As Night said, his only problem (and it's a big one) is his inability to make his point in a way people may take less offence to.

That said, he was fine person-2-person; he just sucked at posting. And came across as a dick - even though I don't think he is one or intended to be.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That said, he was fine person-2-person; he just sucked at posting. And came across as a dick - even though I don't think he is one or intended to be.

This doesn't add up. If someone can handle one-on-one communications, they should be able to handle public communications.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ it might not but i got the same impression from my conversations with him.
sorry...damn, said i wasn't going to post in this thread anymore!

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well at least we didn't post it at the exact same time in this case.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
It seems pretty straightforward.

It stands to reason that if a person understands the social parameters for how to behave in one-on-one conversation, that the individual would apply a similar value system for community behavior.

This is a will v. skill scenario.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It stands to reason that if a person understands the social parameters for how to behave in one-on-one conversation, that the individual would apply a similar value system for community behavior.

Thank you.

Is it so hard to figure out?

Atomic Fiend

Not necessarily, I've known several people who've carried themselves quite foolishly in more social settings, however when speaking one on one they were much easier to speak to, they weren't nearly as rude. I don't know if the same thing applies online.
Thank you.

I'm gonna chalk this and the other two comments up to you being annoyed.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Thank you.

It's easy to imagine that answer, but it also happens to be wrong.

Multi-targeting often severely changes the nature of a skill. I find it an excessive simplification to say that being good at one-on-one makes you good in a social venue. I imagine that a person could be really good at one, and really bad at another, either way.

This might seem like a weird example, but think of this.
If a state administration had been effective while practicing diplomatic relations bilaterally, can you assume then that it will be successful with multilateral diplomacy? Obviously that's a rhetorical question. The answer is no.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not necessarily, I've known several people who've carried themselves quite foolishly in more social settings, however when speaking one on one they were much easier to speak to, they weren't nearly as rude. I don't know if the same thing applies online.
Agreed.

I liked Nihilen, fwiw.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8

Multi-targeting often severely changes the nature of a skill. I find it an excessive simplification to say that being good at one-on-one makes you good in a social venue. I imagine that a person could be really good at one, and really bad at another, either way.

If a state administration had been effective while practicing diplomatic relations bilaterally, can you assume then that it will be successful with multilateral diplomacy? Obviously that's a rhetorical question. The answer is no.

Your call.

Ultimately, we're waxing anecdotal perspective at this point. Your rhetorical example breaches the scope of our present conversation/subject.

The expectations for behavior are pretty clear. Failing to consistently (and unapologetically) adhere to minimum "common sense" standards for social discourse earns you a punitive response. Just like in real life.

It's pretty simple stuff, really.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'm gonna chalk this and the other two comments up to you being annoyed.

Annoyed, yes. I find this line of reasoning to be excuse-making.

Thanks. I'll push for bannings sooner now that I know they cannot handle forum posting.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP

Or just think of how introverts change between 1:1 and 1:many.

edit: To be clear, I disagree with the concept, not with the banning. No opinion on that.

Atomic Fiend

Annoyed, yes. I find this line of reasoning to be excuse-making.

Don't get me wrong here, I wasn't defending anyone, I was just curious as to why you believed that particular statement, and obviously I wasn't the only one. I really don't care who you ban(well a short list of people) as long as it isn't me quite frankly.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Or just think of how introverts change between 1:1 and 1:many.

I don't buy this argument either. We're not just talking about being socially FLUID in both domains, we're talking about being civil and courteous. Civility and courtesy are skills that you don't suddenly FORGET when you're in a crowd, you just willingly neglect them.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't get me wrong here, I wasn't defending anyone, I was just curious as to why you believed that particular statement, and obviously I wasn't the only one. I really don't care who you ban(well a short list of people) as long as it isn't me quite frankly.
Because it is quite simple to transition one-on-one communications to forum posting.

For example this post right here, I quoted you, and I'm responding to you. Very much like one-on-one, only everyone can read it.

LOL, I'd like to see the day we'd have to ban you!